By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Exec Responds To Claims That Microsoft Has Too Few Exclusives In 2017

Exclusives aren't as important as they use to be because (outside of Nintendo) the highest selling games are third party titles.

Around the Network
KiigelHeart said:
ironmanDX said:
Been the worst ever year for xbox as far as exclusives are concerned. There's simply no denying it.

This is so true and there hasn't been many interesting multiplat games either. I just realized Halo Wars 2 is the only AAA game I've played that's released this year.

At least rest of the year looks better with South Park, Shadow of War, Assassin's Creed, PUBG and Forza.. going to be a busy gaming holiday :P

With State of Decay 2, Crackdown 3,Ori 2 and my most anticipated exclusive, Sea of Thieves, 2018 looks way better already.

Alfredo, you're right. 3rd party games sell something like 80% based on figures shown to me a couple of years ago by Jaywood. While that may have changed in that time, outside of the Switch, I doubt that it would be by much. It still would be really nice to have some good heavy hitting exclusives to choose from any given year.

LivingMetal said:

Xbox Exec Responds To Claims That Microsoft Has Too Few Exclusives In 2017

"I'm a little bit confused because we have a really good lineup this holiday."

"We've got the most popular game on the planet in PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds--the Xbox console is going to be the only place where you can play that.

I'm.. mate he said 2017 not this holiday.

And that last part is an outright lie. 

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Pemalite said:
Just remember... We are the PC Gaming Master Race, we collectively stand above all others. ;)

No wonder steam forums are full of nazi supremacist Steam groups. Building a pc is not some sort of hardcore achievement. It's pretty easy actually.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2017/10/17/microsofts-shannon-loftis-on-the-xbox-one-x-future-minecraft-exclusivity-and-scalebound.aspx

Here is the actual interview for anyone interested. It's a pretty standard interview with someone trying to sell their product, some good parts to read, some bad depending on what direction you want MS to take. There's a lot of confusion in this thread based on her answers, it's Gamespot's fault with their shitty article title. She was addressing the idea that Xbox doesn't have exclusives anymore. So her first response was this holiday, where they do in fact have a handful of quality exclusives. She then points to 2018, which, barring further delays, is pretty loaded in the first half for Xbox.

When she says "the Xbox console is the only place you can play PUBG" you just need to use common logic and apply context. She's talking in the console world. I mean, literally every game she mentioned for this holiday also has a PC release. At least, I think Super Lucky's Tale does. LOL @ saying it's an outright lie.

2017 up until last month was pretty weak for Xbone exclusives, but luckily we have an army of quality third party games to where you don't even notice. I also bought the same amount of Sony exclusives pre-August as I did MS ones: 1. So in the end it's all subjective anyway.

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:
Exclusives aren't as important as they use to be because (outside of Nintendo) the highest selling games are third party titles.

Exclusives matter, but people who are defending Xbox dont seem to be depending on where it applies. Exclusives might sell less than they used to, but they stabalize the yearly sales of a platform and keeps mindshare solely on that platform.  All the month to month topics will revolve around your platform and eventually if you're good enough something will stick with the masses. With Nintendo all it took was time. Phil Spencer has also said that even though exclusives are strongest with Nintendo that Sony and Nintendo both excel at single player experiences and that the culture responds as such. You cannot have that reception if you do not create the culture. Xbox fans are looking towards a culture with Microsoft where exclusives are not important and that is why you've come to that conclusion. Traditionally speaking with consoles that has never been in question until Microsoft got here. We all know exclusives matter, but we never questioned their relevance until Microsoft. We know full well that the Xbox would've tanked without Halo or Gears though. 

PEEPer0nni said:
Pemalite said:
Just remember... We are the PC Gaming Master Race, we collectively stand above all others. ;)

No wonder steam forums are full of nazi supremacist Steam groups. Building a pc is not some sort of hardcore achievement. It's pretty easy actually.

Who said that it was difficult? Not I.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

torok said:

When someone has to grasp for Super Lucky's tale to make an exclusive list with 4 titles, you know it's some serious PR.

Forza is almost yearly and it's the only AAA one there. PUBG and Cuphead are great games, but they got it almost by sheer luck. 2018 looks better, but both Sony and Nintendo have way more stuff announced.

I would also count Cuphead out because you can play it on any PC. Normally, it doesn't matter if a title like Gears is on PC because people would have to have a desktop with a powerful GPU that would cost more than the console (and most people don't want a desktop nowadays. And gaming laptops are expensive, while most people eager to expend 1K on a laptop will probably prefer a Mac). But basically any computer can play Cuphead, so you don't have to buy a console to play this one.

Im pretty sure that while standard PC usage is going down, the video game PC market is always increasing. I could be wrong of course. But your comment reads like its dire times for PC as a game platform, lol. 

And while ive not tried GOW myself, i think your wrong on this example. GOW should not take a GPU as expensive as the console. Maybe for the highest settings but it would probably run fine on a 600$ machine

The real reason you wouldnt want to play GOW on PC is player population because its an xbox centric franchise

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Im pretty sure that while standard PC usage is going down, the video game PC market is always increasing. I could be wrong of course. But your comment reads like its dire times for PC as a game platform, lol. 

And while ive not tried GOW myself, i think your wrong on this example. GOW should not take a GPU as expensive as the console. Maybe for the highest settings but it would probably run fine on a 600$ machine

The real reason you wouldnt want to play GOW on PC is player population because its an xbox centric franchise

Yes, the PC gaming market is growing even if the general market is shrinking, that's a trend we are seeing for a few years. I didn't mean it as saying that the PC market is decreasing, just saying that the amount of people with a regular PC is way higher than ones with gaming PCs. So, in the case of Cuphead, you can play it with zero investment on hardware, while something like Gear would demand some cash.

A X1 or PS4 right now is 250 bucks, with a game and controller. Probably even 200 in deals during the Holidays. That's still 3 times less than a 600 bucks PC that won't really max everything up. And also mind that you have options like the 500 dollar X1X that run games on good settings and 4K.

What I mean is: if you want to play GoW and doesn`t have a gaming PC, you have to either get one (600 bucks) or buy an Xbox (200). If you want to play Cuphead, you can use your laptop so the cost is zero. In that sense, it isn't motivating you to buy an X1, unless you don't have any kind of computer in your house (unlikely).

AlfredoTurkey said:

I would say that they are important even for Nintendo. Since they lost the 3rd party support that fuelled the NES and SNES, they had a lot of rough generations. Their road has been more bumpy than for Sony and MS. When Sony and MS screw up they still sell some respectable numbers, while it seems like Nintendo's screw ups cost them much more. Thirdy parties are really the blood of the industry.

I think exclusives matter to just influence you a bit. A X1 and a PS4 are quite similar consoles and the price is almost the same. In that situation, you will probably think "well, there are more games on PS4 that I can't play on the X1". Of course, a X1 priced lower would get a boost, but anyway it means that in a situation where price is simlar Sony would win by having exclusives.