By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NPD nintendo Switch #1 Selling Hardware in September. Nintendo Systems = 2/3 Total sales.

Nothing bring destruction faster than semantics.

Around the Network

Killing it means it is doing well. There is no hidden meaning to it.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Killing%20It

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

DonFerrari said:
Nuvendil said:

*facepalm*

The PS4 being the barometer is 1) technically irrelevant and 2) an inevitably since WE DON'T HAVE NUMBERS.  It's no different than people say the PS4 is killing it because it is ahead of the PS2 (can't remember if it still is but it was once).  No one saying that was expecting a domination of the PS2, like 200m sales.  But rather the PS2 being a huge success meant matching or beating it was also a huge success.

The PS4 is a sales machine and is in it's peak year.  The Switch matching or beating it is a huge deal.  Therefore, "killing it".  You just flat don't understand the phrase.  Or are digging your heals in and being intentionally contrarian.

If technically irrelevant you can just say "Switch have been winning several NPDs. It is doing great", no need to bring PS4 namely to it to then say it have nothing to do with it.

PS4 is brought up for two obvious reasons.  First, in order to win the NPD it beat the PS4 since the PS4 is consistently first otherwise so might as well bring it up as the statement "won an NPD" obviously includes the statement "beat the PS4".  

Second, the PS4 is the only system in the NPD that frankly matters for the comparison.  The Vita and Wii U are long dead in the States, the Xbox One is in the pits right now, and the 3DS is on the fade.  The Switch beating them is not significant.  The Switch beating the PS4, trending to be one of the best selling systems of all time, actually matters.  It's the same as why people stopped paying any attention to Switch vs Wii U launch alined.  The Wii U was a sales disaster.  The Switch beating the Wii U launch aligned or the Xbone even by a significant margin would be a pretty bad metric for saying the Switch is doing well.  

To go back to my boxing analogy, you have 2 fighters.  One has 10 straight KOs.  The other goes 8 and 2, 8 won by unanimous decision and 2 lost by split decision.  HOWEVER the first guy fought 10 tomato cans, dudes with terrible win-loss ratios.  The second guy fought the top 10 boxers in the division.  The second guy is more arguably killing it, the first guy is just beating up people who barely know what they're doing.  It's not about the severity of your wins, it's about how good you are doing at what you are doing.  It's about consistent excellence.  It's just excellence is always somewhat relative, hence why competition is brought up.

That's why the PS4 brought up NOT as a put down on the PS4, but BECAUSE it is so successful.  Winning the NPD is all good but the fact is the PS4 is the only system that matters as a metric.  When a system is trending to sell over 100mil, of course it will get brought up as the main point of comparison in threads like this as beating or matching it is an accomplishment.  Beating the other systems in NPD right now is not an accomplishment.  

So stop looking for a put down of the PS4 because it being *the* competitor is the reason it's brought up.  

Nuvendil said:
DonFerrari said:

If technically irrelevant you can just say "Switch have been winning several NPDs. It is doing great", no need to bring PS4 namely to it to then say it have nothing to do with it.

PS4 is brought up for two obvious reasons.  First, in order to win the NPD it beat the PS4 since the PS4 is consistently first otherwise so might as well bring it up as the statement "won an NPD" obviously includes the statement "beat the PS4".  

Second, the PS4 is the only system in the NPD that frankly matters for the comparison.  The Vita and Wii U are long dead in the States, the Xbox One is in the pits right now, and the 3DS is on the fade.  The Switch beating them is not significant.  The Switch beating the PS4, trending to be one of the best selling systems of all time, actually matters.  It's the same as why people stopped paying any attention to Switch vs Wii U launch alined.  The Wii U was a sales disaster.  The Switch beating the Wii U launch aligned or the Xbone even by a significant margin would be a pretty bad metric for saying the Switch is doing well.  

To go back to my boxing analogy, you have 2 fighters.  One has 10 straight KOs.  The other goes 8 and 2, 8 won by unanimous decision and 2 lost by split decision.  HOWEVER the first guy fought 10 tomato cans, dudes with terrible win-loss ratios.  The second guy fought the top 10 boxers in the division.  The second guy is more arguably killing it, the first guy is just beating up people who barely know what they're doing.  It's not about the severity of your wins, it's about how good you are doing at what you are doing.  It's about consistent excellence.  It's just excellence is always somewhat relative, hence why competition is brought up.

That's why the PS4 brought up NOT as a put down on the PS4, but BECAUSE it is so successful.  Winning the NPD is all good but the fact is the PS4 is the only system that matters as a metric.  When a system is trending to sell over 100mil, of course it will get brought up as the main point of comparison in threads like this as beating or matching it is an accomplishment.  Beating the other systems in NPD right now is not an accomplishment.  

So stop looking for a put down of the PS4 because it being *the* competitor is the reason it's brought up.  

And I like that all your explaning brings comparison on the use of killing it, showing that implicitly the term does comparison.

But I'm fine with you using it as just meaning Switch is doing good. But you can't deny that some in the thread were using it straight on the doing much better than PS4.

And considering the context that were brought Switch winning 6 and PS4 2, but on sum PS4 being ahead than Switch can't make any comparison based on pure numbers totally Switch winning because, perhaps by end of year it will.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Nuvendil said:

And I like that all your explaning brings comparison on the use of killing it, showing that implicitly the term does comparison.

But I'm fine with you using it as just meaning Switch is doing good. But you can't deny that some in the thread were using it straight on the doing much better than PS4.

And considering the context that were brought Switch winning 6 and PS4 2, but on sum PS4 being ahead than Switch can't make any comparison based on pure numbers totally Switch winning because, perhaps by end of year it will.

Excellence is always somewhate relative.  A console selling this well is killing it.  If the Iphone was selling these numbers it would be an unmitigated catastrophe on an unprecedented scale.  

But no, the first statement of someone saying it was "killing it" was just that, it was great.  Then someone swooped in and said it couldn't be killing it because it wasn't beating PS4 enough.  Ignoring that said person never meant the PS4 was getting destroyed but the Switch was doing great.  The PS4 happening to be the metric was happenstance.  If Xbone were the one dominating, it would be Xbone.  If 3DS was outselling the two, it would be that.  

Around the Network

Waiting for those Metroid: Samus Returns numbers, since it placed 8th after Mario & Rabbids I hope it sold at least 400k

DonFerrari said:

Miyamotoo said:

Nobody talks about whole year, but about sales until now, and yes, Switch sales are killing it, they are very impressive, Switch outsold PS4 (that is selling great and it is in its best year until now) in 5 of 7 months and done that with big supply problems.

Well said.

Both you guys come to say the "killing it" isn't compared to PS4 but to Switch success alone, but go again and compare to PS4... zero sense in it.

Saying Switch is doing very good is stating the obvious, saying it is killing PS4 doesn't make sense because PS4 is doing even better than before Switch.

In this case Switch success is measured compared to PS4, PS4 is on path to be one of best selling home console of all times, and when Switch actually winning NPD month sales in PS4 peak sale year, with Switch supply problems, that means that Switch is "killing it" in sales, that has very impresive sales, not that is kiling specifkly PS4 in sales.

Nobody really wrote that Switch is killing PS4, "Nintendo/Switch is killing it with sales" dont mean "Nintendo/Switch is killing PS4".

The switch is absolutely killing it. Well deserved.

edit: "looks like destiny 2 disappointed, at least in NA and UK.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Nuvendil said:
DonFerrari said:

Excellence is always somewhate relative.  A console selling this well is killing it.  If the Iphone was selling these numbers it would be an unmitigated catastrophe on an unprecedented scale.  

But no, the first statement of someone saying it was "killing it" was just that, it was great.  Then someone swooped in and said it couldn't be killing it because it wasn't beating PS4 enough.  Ignoring that said person never meant the PS4 was getting destroyed but the Switch was doing great.  The PS4 happening to be the metric was happenstance.  If Xbone were the one dominating, it would be Xbone.  If 3DS was outselling the two, it would be that.  

Selling this well but close to the other... so Is PS4 also killing it? If it is then it is both are killing

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Can always count on VGC to provide me with a daily source of semantics just in case I myself don't meet my daily quota of it.