By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NPD nintendo Switch #1 Selling Hardware in September. Nintendo Systems = 2/3 Total sales.

DonFerrari said:
Nuvendil said:

Excellence is always somewhate relative.  A console selling this well is killing it.  If the Iphone was selling these numbers it would be an unmitigated catastrophe on an unprecedented scale.  

But no, the first statement of someone saying it was "killing it" was just that, it was great.  Then someone swooped in and said it couldn't be killing it because it wasn't beating PS4 enough.  Ignoring that said person never meant the PS4 was getting destroyed but the Switch was doing great.  The PS4 happening to be the metric was happenstance.  If Xbone were the one dominating, it would be Xbone.  If 3DS was outselling the two, it would be that.  

Selling this well but close to the other... so Is PS4 also killing it? If it is then it is both are killing

I mean, yeah, that is fair to say since it is up year on year, it being it's own strongest metric.  The thing is, it's been killing it since launch.  It's just not news so people aren't going to make a huge deal about it.  That's just human nature, the older the news the less excitement it generates.  But it's also fair to say the Switch doing what it is doing is more immediately impressive due to surrounding context.  

Around the Network
Nautilus said:
Thats good news for Nintendo.And with October looking like the Switch will sell even better, it seems that Nintendo is going with guns blazing into the holidays.

One thing should be noted though.Rabbids is at number 7, and thats its first month of tracking.This should indicate that VGC is actually not far off the number and seems that either it sold much better digitally, or the game underperformed in the US(but compensated in Europe).

Mario+Rabbits released on august 29th, so it's first three days of sales (the ones that make up the majority of launch week sales) wouldn't even be incuded in this. So out of an assumed 50k launch week you probably would get about 15k counting towards NPDs tracking here. Unless it had exeptionally good legs I don't see it hitting number 7 with the kind of launch sales VGC is tracking for it.

JSG87 said:
Flilix said:

Super Bomberman R and Ultra Street Fighter 2 are both above half a million, which is quite good for these games. Several indie games sold better on Switch than on any other console. The eShop rankings are dominated by 3rd party games. So far, the only game that doesn't seem to do very well is FIFA, but we don't have any clear numbers for that one yet.

Fifa was #3 on the Nintendo Switch UK eshop for almost 2 full weeks after release so I think it did fairly well on the eshop at least. I mean it didn't do much first week in the UK physically so I have no idea how many sales the digital version would account for.

It's also still on #4 on the german eshop. We don't have numbers for it's release in germany, but I think based on the eshop rankings it's fair to assume that it's doing decent digitally. It has consistently stayed up there.

Kai_Mao said:
PEEPer0nni said:

I'm fair. Nintendo always show their big games 1-2 years before release and there're no such games annouced for 2018. Do you think they'll show Animal Crossing or SSM 4 months before release? lol

There are twelve months in a year so they could potentially announce something early on in 2018 that could release during the holidays. Hell, Mario + Rabbids was officially announced at E3 and released in August. ARMS was revealed at the Switch presentation and released in June. FE Warriors just released in September in Japan (this week in other regions) after being initially announced back in the presentation as well. Who knows what will unfold in 2018 besides what’s been already announced. Fire Emblem, Kirby, Octopath Traveler, and Yoshi are planned for 2018. Don’t tell me that’s all they’re bringing next year.

Not to mantion Mario friggin Odyssey. They announced their biggest game this year, a mere seven months before release. There's plenty of time during a january/spring direct and E3 to drop some Bombs. Still wainting on that Retro game....

SuperNova said:
Nautilus said:
Thats good news for Nintendo.And with October looking like the Switch will sell even better, it seems that Nintendo is going with guns blazing into the holidays.

One thing should be noted though.Rabbids is at number 7, and thats its first month of tracking.This should indicate that VGC is actually not far off the number and seems that either it sold much better digitally, or the game underperformed in the US(but compensated in Europe).

Mario+Rabbits released on august 29th, so it's first three days of sales (the ones that make up the majority of launch week sales) wouldn't even be incuded in this. So out of an assumed 50k launch week you probably would get about 15k counting towards NPDs tracking here. Unless it had exeptionally good legs I don't see it hitting number 7 with the kind of launch sales VGC is tracking for it.

September is always a five-week month in NPD, so this year it encompasses August 27th through September 30th.

StarDoor said:
SuperNova said:

September is always a five-week month in NPD, so this year it encompases August 27th through September 30th.

Ah, ok! in that case, ignore my ramblings! Thanks, for correcting me.

Teeqoz said:
Can always count on VGC to provide me with a daily source of semantics just in case I myself don't meet my daily quota of it.

Same here xD

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
Nuvendil said:
DonFerrari said:

Selling this well but close to the other... so Is PS4 also killing it? If it is then it is both are killing

I mean, yeah, that is fair to say since it is up year on year, it being it's own strongest metric.  The thing is, it's been killing it since launch.  It's just not news so people aren't going to make a huge deal about it.  That's just human nature, the older the news the less excitement it generates.  But it's also fair to say the Switch doing what it is doing is more immediately impressive due to surrounding context.  

So we are on an agreement =]

About the older and new... well Switch is doing well since release so it also isn't new that it is doing good =]

Let's hope Nintendo can keep the good work and make a nice environment for its fans.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

PEEPer0nni said:
HoangNhatAnh said:
Possible, they aren't Sony anyway

Yes, they have a lot to catch up in terms of 1st party output in 2018.

Yeah, wish BoTW can be get review and sales as good as half of Horizon Zero Dawn, how long till they can catch up?

Congratulations to Ninty 

HoangNhatAnh said:
PEEPer0nni said:

Yes, they have a lot to catch up in terms of 1st party output in 2018.

Yeah, wish BoTW can be get review and sales as good as half of Horizon Zero Dawn, how long till they can catch up?

So only one game for each count on the year?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Nuvendil said:

To be frank, a system in its launch year beating a system in its peak year is pretty damn impressive.  Yeah the PS4 leads year to date but a huge part of that is January and February sales which pad the PS4's count vs Switch.  So yeah, the Switch beating the PS4 us killing it in many people's books because it's not just by how much you win, it's who you beat.  No one said it's destroying the PS4, which would imy substantial victory margins.

And all this is more impressive when you consider the PS4 is tracking to be one of the best selling systems ever.  And the PS4 had major releases in September that the Switch didn't get.  And only like week was free of supply issues. 

Do you really want to go semantics on this? TO kill PS4 would be to make it go the N64 and Gamecube route of very low sales and losing the race tremendously. PS4 is having a better year after Switch launched and isn't even to much behind (and WW is still ahead) so how is that killing. Yours, Miyamoto and these other people book need to use the correct verbatim.

Agree, it's crush, not kill