By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 To Feature Full Discrete GPU Not APU [RUMOUR]

Doubt it if they are going AMD again. Maybe if they go intel + Nvidia or AMD + Nvidia or etc but I doubt they will go that route even more.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

Maybe...just because they went APU route this generation doesn't mean they can't revert to older model.

As for 1070 level...that is way, way too weak to be called next gen.

This is good or bad?
Does it means that the memory between GPU and CPU is not shared? It wouldnt have the optimization of a console, and be more like a PC?

Sony might have learned by now that 500$ and beyond consoles do not perform well.

Unless they are seeking for a PS3/X1 type of situation.

shikamaru317 said:
HoloDust said:
Maybe...just because they went APU route this generation doesn't mean they can't revert to older model.

As for 1070 level...that is way, way too weak to be called next gen.

I don't know if I'd say way too weak, but definitely kind of weak. Vega 56 is roughly equivalent to a 1070, and Vega 56 is 8 tflops compared to 1.8 for PS4, so a bit more than 4x more powerful than PS4. The main problem I see with it is that 8 tflops is only 25% better XB1 X, sure it wouldn't be handicapped by a weak CPU like XB1 X is, but still. MS could just wait until 2020 and release a new APU based Xbox that is around 9 tflops for $500 and sell it alongside the older XB1 X at $250-300, able to play 9th gen games at 1080p vs 4K on the new 9th gen Xbox. 

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant - that is way too weak for proper next gen jump.

7th to 8th gen jump was 8x (in numbers) or 10x (according to Sony in real perforamance) - and that was with just 2.25 more pixels, instead of 4x for native 4K.

Way, way too weak - even twice that is barely enough.

And yeah, I know how it looks now, but back in days most people were calling crazy everyone that thought PS4 would pack something similar to 7970m (it pretty much does).

Around the Network

Plot twist: sony makes a console/laptop hybrid and Sony/Nintendo end up taking 100% of the market

OTBWY said:

I want another 599 US dollars moment when announcing the PS5.

I better get two more jobs just to be safe.

What would be the benefit?
2 sku's from the start, premium one with sli configuration? A 30fps and a 60fps version?

Please let it have and be optimized for an SSD drive, load times are getting out of hand, 4k assets are only going to make it worse.

GribbleGrunger said:

Let's think of the possibilities: PS5 runs a Vega-based graphics card that we've been hearing about in the GTX 1070 level performance range, with an 8-core Ryzen-based CPU. Sony could push for a more expensive console experience, while providing better than Project Scorpio performance

Fuck I hope not. Would be way too small a jump. Navi, Zen 2, 2020-21, $400, Deus Vult.

I wonder if they should do a PS5 family of hardware at launch, and have the games be forward and backwards compatible. You could have a portable version of the hardware that works like a Switch, and you can have a beefier, stationary version of the console that plays the same games, but with all the effects turned up to the max.

Hard to gauge that. Since the PS portable thing would likely hold the beefier version back. But, at the same time, I think Sony needs to look into covering all its bases.