By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How many major exclusives does the Switch need to gain out each year to maintain popularity?

How many major exclusives will the Switch need per year?

1 11 4.33%

2 30 11.81%

3 88 34.65%

4 125 49.21%

Total:254
Shaunodon said:

I did mention Switch is only in it's first year, which kind of encompasses the fact that they can't ship or have as much stock ready as they'd like. It will still have the most desired game these holidays though, and that'll be another title which will have legs even for several months after.

PS4 having to compete with that and also XB1X will struggle to top previous holiday sales, and may possibly even under-perform, unless they have something big to show at Paris Games Week.

Again, Switch only being in it's first year is still just warming up. So I don't think it's time to be talking like we've seen anything definitive for the future of these systems yet.

PS4 has so many things going for it this year such as Destiny 2, Middle-Earth, The Evil Within 2, Wolfenstein 2 being current-gen exclusive only compared to the previous iterations. Then there's potential for titles such as FIFA 18, AC Origins, CoD WWII, Star Wars Battlefront 2 to grow compared to their last entry and then to top it off PS4 has an exclusive for this holiday such as GT Sport ... 

Paris Games Week is an afterthought at this point even if the PS4 has to compete with a premium system such as the X1X ... 

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:
Shaunodon said:

I did mention Switch is only in it's first year, which kind of encompasses the fact that they can't ship or have as much stock ready as they'd like. It will still have the most desired game these holidays though, and that'll be another title which will have legs even for several months after.

PS4 having to compete with that and also XB1X will struggle to top previous holiday sales, and may possibly even under-perform, unless they have something big to show at Paris Games Week.

Again, Switch only being in it's first year is still just warming up. So I don't think it's time to be talking like we've seen anything definitive for the future of these systems yet.

PS4 has so many things going for it this year such as Destiny 2, Middle-Earth, The Evil Within 2, Wolfenstein 2 being current-gen exclusive only compared to the previous iterations. Then there's potential for titles such as FIFA 18, AC Origins, CoD WWII, Star Wars Battlefront 2 to grow compared to their last entry and then to top it off PS4 has an exclusive for this holiday such as GT Sport ... 

Paris Games Week is an afterthought at this point even if the PS4 has to compete with a premium system such as the X1X ... 

That lineup doesn't at all look impressive to me, but I guess we'll see.

Shaunodon said:

That's no surprise going by the demographics of this site but like it or not these are legit system sellers we're talking about here even if you don't prefer them ... (heck 4/9 titles I listed are something I would buy a PS4 for if it were not for the fact that I mained on the PC) 

Shaunodon said:

Yeah, but the comparison would be 6.7m(PS4) vs. 6.1m(Switch).

Going into the holiday season that difference is fairly negligible, and what may be Switch's biggest title is only dropping next week.

Lest we forget that Switch is only in it's first year as a system.

You think PS4 won't increase that gap during holidays even when we're including the Switch's inflated honeymoon period where they released a flagship AAA system selling games every quarter so far while we're excluding PS4's first two months of this year ? Last holiday quarter PS4 sold OVER 9M units! 

Nope, it sold 6.2 mil

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Nope, it sold 6.2 mil

Umm ... ???! (This site's data shows me that the system sold 9M units from October to December last year) 

Around the Network

Nope, it sold 6.2 mil

Umm ... ???! (This site's data shows me that the system sold 9M units from October to December last year) 

Why do you write every message in such a condescending way? Lol. 

Anyways if we're talking quarters then yes you are right, my bad.

http://gematsu.com/2017/01/ps4-sells-6-2-million-units-2016-holiday-season-worldwide-sales-top-53-4-million

Holiday season is considered "from November 21 to January 1 in Japan and Asia, November 20 to December 31 in North America and Latin America, and November 21 to December 31 in Europe"

So it sold 6 million from that point, but yeah you are right that if you are talking about an entire quarter it sold 9 mil. So my bad.

http://gematsu.com/2017/01/ps4-sells-6-2-million-units-2016-holiday-season-worldwide-sales-top-53-4-million

Holiday season is considered "from November 21 to January 1 in Japan and Asia, November 20 to December 31 in North America and Latin America, and November 21 to December 31 in Europe"

So it sold 6 million from that point, but yeah you are right that if you are talking about an entire quarter it sold 9 mil. So my bad.

My bad if you feel that way ... XD 

But that's exactly what I meant when I said "Last holiday quarter PS4 sold OVER 9M units!" ...  

My bad if you feel that way ... XD 

But that's exactly what I meant when I said "Last holiday quarter PS4 sold OVER 9M units!" ...  

It's fine XD It's just like, whenever  I read your comments and I see you use "..." or "?!??!?!" so often, I imagine it like you're trying to lead a retard(me) through a conversation with slow dramatization XD

But you're always a respectful, fact based debater, so it's cool!

Yeah I should have read more carefully. 

It's fine XD It's just like, whenever  I read your comments and I see you use "..." or "?!??!?!" so often, I imagine it like you're trying to lead a retard(me) through a conversation with slow dramatization XD

But you're always a respectful, fact based debater, so it's cool!

Yeah I should have read more carefully. 

It's OK man, misunderstandings happen from time to time ... (Even I'm not immune to it LOL) 

That's just my posting style ... 

Shaunodon said:

That's no surprise going by the demographics of this site but like it or not these are legit system sellers we're talking about here even if you don't prefer them ... (heck 4/9 titles I listed are something I would buy a PS4 for if it were not for the fact that I mained on the PC) 

I was actually talking from a neutral standpoint on how I think they'll be received, and most of that lineup looks very stale.

If I was talking from my own personal preference, there's about two titles I would even consider and the rest I wouldn't touch with a 10ft pole.