Forums - Movies & TV - Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Official Trailer 2

Looking forward to this one!

Need something off Play-Asia? http://www.play-asia.com/

Around the Network
StarOcean said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Phewww *wipes away sweat*

I was worried for a moment, there!

By the way, does disliking episode 7 and possibly 8(hopefully not) automatically make someone a stupid bastard, or na ? :P I want to know my bastardness! 

"Star Wars the Phantom Menace is the most disappointing thing since my son... and while my son eventually hanged himself in the back of the gas station. The unfortunate reality of the Star Wars Prequels is that they'll be around... forever." -Best opening to everything ever. Idc if you dislike 7. 7 is basically ANH with humor sprinkled in. It's just if you follow the SW community... which I do. You get jaded. My lawrd, you won't believe how bad it is XD Rose Tico, the Asian character in 8 -the way 'fans' try to attack her is so stupid. So, we know little about her besides shes a mechanic and thinks Finn is cool... the SW base is like, "They only added the chink for the chinese markets. stupid sjw disney ruined sw by making it mary sue wars." Its annoying and just... terrible

To be honest ... I was once like that too. I just automatically assumed that Rei was inserted to build a narrative. Then I looked back on it and thought "wow ... I was being stupid as fuck".

I mean, I do think her character was extremely flawed in 7. Mary Sue might even be an accurate description(idk, i don't watch enough anime to know the "Sues"). But this whole "sjw" narrative has gone too far ... even IF Disney added characters to be diverse ... WHO CARES! They're original characters! Nothing wrong with diversity. The way I see it is, if Disney thinks adding diverse characters will make their movies more popular and beloved, they are just doing their job. It's Disney! 

And yeah, that plinkett introduction is amazing XD ! I especially like the side story where he keeps that girl in his basement! XD

StarOcean said:

"Star Wars the Phantom Menace is the most disappointing thing since my son... and while my son eventually hanged himself in the back of the gas station. The unfortunate reality of the Star Wars Prequels is that they'll be around... forever." -Best opening to everything ever. Idc if you dislike 7. 7 is basically ANH with humor sprinkled in. It's just if you follow the SW community... which I do. You get jaded. My lawrd, you won't believe how bad it is XD Rose Tico, the Asian character in 8 -the way 'fans' try to attack her is so stupid. So, we know little about her besides shes a mechanic and thinks Finn is cool... the SW base is like, "They only added the chink for the chinese markets. stupid sjw disney ruined sw by making it mary sue wars." Its annoying and just... terrible

To be honest ... I was once like that too. I just automatically assumed that Rei was inserted to build a narrative. Then I looked back on it and thought "wow ... I was being stupid as fuck".

I mean, I do think her character was extremely flawed in 7. Mary Sue might even be an accurate description(idk, i don't watch enough anime to know the "Sues"). But this whole "sjw" narrative has gone too far ... even IF Disney added characters to be diverse ... WHO CARES! They're original characters! Nothing wrong with diversity. The way I see it is, if Disney thinks adding diverse characters will make their movies more popular and beloved, they are just doing their job. It's Disney! 

And yeah, that plinkett introduction is amazing XD ! I especially like the side story where he keeps that girl in his basement! XD

I think that it's hard to judge Rey until the films are done. Luke, most fans were kids when they saw the original so no one cares that Luke was OP. With Anakin, we knew he was going to be OP from the beginning... so him doing amazing at everything didn't surprise anyone. Rey, we'll see. Man I really hope (they wont) they go with Rey becoming evil and Kylo becoming good. Itd be amazing.

And ikr? XD the Star Wars Plinkett reviews are legendary!

StarOcean said:

I think that it's hard to judge Rey until the films are done. Luke, most fans were kids when they saw the original so no one cares that Luke was OP. With Anakin, we knew he was going to be OP from the beginning... so him doing amazing at everything didn't surprise anyone. Rey, we'll see. Man I really hope (they wont) they go with Rey becoming evil and Kylo becoming good. Itd be amazing.

I don't know ... I wouldn't really describe Luke as "OP". In fact I'd say the opposite. Sure, there was the occasional break(I think the best example is how he can bullshit his way to destroy a death star despite not being an extremely experienced space pilot). But the films focused ... SO GOD DAMN MUCH on Luke training and being under-powered, that the occasional break in power was ok. In fact, I didn't even realize that look was OP at the end of the first movie until someone pointed it out, and even then you could argue it was just luck on his part. That's how much the original trilogy was dedicated to making Luke, if anything, underpowered. It helps that Mark Hamill's acting makes Luke bitchy and whiny, even when Luke got hit in the fucking side with a box he looks like he's about to faint during the last fight on empire XD

Anakin being overpowered was the driving force of the prequels. Rey being overpowered .... ugh. I just can't justify it. Even the "she uses a staff!" idea never sat right with me. Weilding a staff is way different then a lightsaber. Ironically, if she was using a dual sided lighstaber i could believe it a tad more ... but then she'd be too powerful!

Still, maybe she's just overpowered because Disney wants their main character to be.  And not to be a "mary sue". 

I would love that too, man! XD I feel like i'd love Kylo so much more if he was good! I kind of have a love/hate relationship with his character

NightDragon83 said:
Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

Looks more like Star Wars: Into Darkness judging by the trailer. Oh well, I've been suckered into paying to see every new SW release since Phantom Menace, though I skipped out on Rogue One (and thank God that I did, what a complete waste of everyone's time that movie was!), so I'll probably plunk down my hard earned dough for this one as well.

Can't hardly wait for Star Wars Episode VIII: The Mary Sue Strikes Back.

Rogue One was shit. I deeply regret wasting money to see it in theatres.

Around the Network

Yes....Yes

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

StarOcean said:

I don't know ... I wouldn't really describe Luke as "OP". In fact I'd say the opposite. Sure, there was the occasional break(I think the best example is how he can bullshit his way to destroy a death star despite not being an extremely experienced space pilot). But the films focused ... SO GOD DAMN MUCH on Luke training and being under-powered, that the occasional break in power was ok. In fact, I didn't even realize that look was OP at the end of the first movie until someone pointed it out, and even then you could argue it was just luck on his part. That's how much the original trilogy was dedicated to making Luke, if anything, underpowered. It helps that Mark Hamill's acting makes Luke bitchy and whiny, even when Luke got hit in the fucking side with a box he looks like he's about to faint during the last fight on empire XD

Anakin being overpowered was the driving force of the prequels. Rey being overpowered .... ugh. I just can't justify it. Even the "she uses a staff!" idea never sat right with me. Weilding a staff is way different then a lightsaber. Ironically, if she was using a dual sided lighstaber i could believe it a tad more ... but then she'd be too powerful!

Still, maybe she's just overpowered because Disney wants their main character to be.  And not to be a "mary sue". 

I would love that too, man! XD I feel like i'd love Kylo so much more if he was good! I kind of have a love/hate relationship with his character

We'll see how Disney justifies it going forward. As for Luke, as far as we can tell -in the first movie he was only trained on the Falcon for a short time (idk how long, time and SW is a really weird thing). In ESB and ROTJ, Luke is justified. But idk about the first film. It makes sense due to him being Anakins son. But man, I really want Rey to be Obi-Wans daughter. 

It may end up being she's OP cause Disney wants an OP character in the same way Sonic fan OCs have god powers cause... why the fuck not?! XD hope not. But if it is, then yes. I'll concede she's a Mary Sue. If she turns out being Obi-Wans daughter, I'mma say: FUCK ALL OF YOU, I WAS RIGHT!

Same. He's not intimidating like Vader. Hell, Rey's more intimidating than him XD which is also why I think itd be cooler to have her be the villain 

That looked fucking amazing. I don't know if the movie can match that but if it can, woo baby. Looked very dark.

Doesn't it also kinda flush all the "Mary Sue" shit down the toilet? She states very clearly in the trailer that her ability has always been part of her and it's "awakened" (Force Awakens ... duh). 

Simply means her power has always been there laying dormant/latent. Now how that came to be is a mystery, but a good one.  

mZuzek said:

Agreed. Luke wasn't OP at all - he had one BS moment in destroying the Death Star, but other than that he was a perfectly fine and flawed character.

Rey isn't just OP at fighting or piloting or whatever, she's also OP at using any kind of mechanism (from ships she's never piloted to some weird doors on the station from that one scene no one cared about), climbing, using the force without any training, and even languages for crying out loud... and, you know what? All of that would be fine if she was flawed as person, like how Anakin was for example (as bad as the writing and acting was) - but no, she's also perfect in that regard. They tried to give her a "flaw" in that she still believed her family would return, but that was as big a flaw as, I don't know, anything in GotG Vol. 2. As it is though, she's just a boring protagonist, complemented by boring supporting characters (stereotypical black character and Male Rey, who just so happen to be best friends ever at first glance).

Edit: if anything, the only new trilogy character I was interested in was Kylo Ren. I can only hope he develops well over the movies.

Hey, at least we agree on something!

StarOcean said:

We'll see how Disney justifies it going forward. As for Luke, as far as we can tell -in the first movie he was only trained on the Falcon for a short time (idk how long, time and SW is a really weird thing). In ESB and ROTJ, Luke is justified. But idk about the first film. It makes sense due to him being Anakins son. But man, I really want Rey to be Obi-Wans daughter. 

It may end up being she's OP cause Disney wants an OP character in the same way Sonic fan OCs have god powers cause... why the fuck not?! XD hope not. But if it is, then yes. I'll concede she's a Mary Sue. If she turns out being Obi-Wans daughter, I'mma say: FUCK ALL OF YOU, I WAS RIGHT!

Same. He's not intimidating like Vader. Hell, Rey's more intimidating than him XD which is also why I think itd be cooler to have her be the villain 

Like I said, names don't matter as much as the fundamental. As long as Rey is overpowered, she will remain boring. I hope they fix it in 8(but it doesn't look like it)!

I agree! Part of me actually thinks Disney might make both rey and kylo good together! I even thought Kylo might turn good in 8 ... but idk .. that seems too creative. They might go with the "Kylo goes good in the third" trope. What if Kylo is actually convincing Rey to join him for GOOD forces : 0 but yeah, not gonna happen.

I actually hope you're right! Rey being obi-wan's daughter, kylo turning good and rey bad ... all very interesting! 

mZuzek said:

Agreed. Luke wasn't OP at all - he had one BS moment in destroying the Death Star, but other than that he was a perfectly fine and flawed character.

Rey isn't just OP at fighting or piloting or whatever, she's also OP at using any kind of mechanism (from ships she's never piloted to some weird doors on the station from that one scene no one cared about), climbing, using the force without any training, and even languages for crying out loud... and, you know what? All of that would be fine if she was flawed as person, like how Anakin was for example (as bad as the writing and acting was) - but no, she's also perfect in that regard. They tried to give her a "flaw" in that she still believed her family would return, but that was as big a flaw as, I don't know, anything in GotG Vol. 2. As it is though, she's just a boring protagonist, complemented by boring supporting characters (stereotypical black character and Male Rey, who just so happen to be best friends ever at first glance).

Edit: if anything, the only new trilogy character I was interested in was Kylo Ren. I can only hope he develops well over the movies.

Hey, at least we agree on something!

StarOcean said:

Like I said, names don't matter as much as the fundamental. As long as Rey is overpowered, she will remain boring. I hope they fix it in 8(but it doesn't look like it)!

I agree! Part of me actually thinks Disney might make both rey and kylo good together! I even thought Kylo might turn good in 8 ... but idk .. that seems too creative. They might go with the "Kylo goes good in the third" trope. What if Kylo is actually convincing Rey to join him for GOOD forces : 0 but yeah, not gonna happen.

I actually hope you're right! Rey being obi-wan's daughter, kylo turning good and rey bad ... all very interesting! 

It's possible. I think what they'll end up doing is Snoke being too powerful, kills Luke, and then Rey and Kylo take him out... in 9. I feel like thats the direction theyre going. Also I think (SPOILERS) They killed Han in 7 (SPOILERS), will kill Leia in 8 (they have to), and in 9 I think theyll kill Luke off