By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Any other (British) republicans here?

Ka-pi96 said:
The Fury said:

The Sovereign Grant, it allocates the Queen and Royal families moneys for royal duties, upkeep of buildings, stuff like that. Last year it was £43million. While the true cost of the Royal family would be higher, that is the direct money the government pays to them.

Considering we pay £150billion to the NHS or £50billion on military, I think £50 mil on the Royal family is nothing. We give more than that back from tourism alone.

Plus that extra person ready to veto a bullcrap law is more than welcome.

This I really don't get. People are going to stop coming as tourists because there isn't a queen anymore? It's not as if they're ever actually going to see the queen regardless.

People definitely come visit to see the royal family. Without the monarchy, there'd be no reason to visit Buckinham Palace. :-/

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:

There'd be no reason? None at all? Getting rid of the royal family isn't going to make the palaces or history disappear in to thin air. They'll all still be there, as government owned and run museums/tourist attractions.

Yeah but you can see big mannor houses all over the place and in warmer climates too (south of France and Spain). :P

Hmm, pie.

Ka-pi96 said:
outlawauron said:

People definitely come visit to see the royal family. Without the monarchy, there'd be no reason to visit Buckinham Palace. :-/

There'd be no reason? None at all? Getting rid of the royal family isn't going to make the palaces or history disappear in to thin air. They'll all still be there, as government owned and run museums/tourist attractions.

You remove the royal family, you also have to remove the thousands of jobs related to them. 

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

They are a good visitcard for your country so why would you want them to go away. They should privatise the monarchy though.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

I don't necessarily agree with abolishing the monarchy outright, since it's basically a historical "monument" at this point, but I'm fine with keeping their influence to a strict minimum. The idea that you should have authority based on who your parents were is extremely outdated.

On the other hand though, why should the queen's family get everything handed to them, from money to education? They're not better than anybody else. So I'm sure about the idea of abolishing the monarchy, but definitely keep their influence close to naught.

Around the Network

If it ain't on Corbzy's agenda, it ain't on mine thank you.

Yeah, monarchies need to be abolished. At this point it's nothing more than a glorified high class zoo for people to stare at.

As a positive side effect 50% of all gossip magazines would die out.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I quite like Monarchy as a form of government (in it's constitutional form). It gives us an absolute idea of hierarchy, next to the false idea of meritocracy that capitalism instills in us (I'm all for meritocracy, I just think capitalism isn't really implementing that idea well at all).

It depends on how much you value cultural traditions.
In each country, there are traditions that create inefficiencies within their society.
While I am a firm believer that progress involves shedding past traditions in favour of new social and economic models which better fit the current social trends, there is also something to be said for flavour.
Otherwise, enjoy your Coffee Mix!

Or for you English people: Tea Mix.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Ka-pi96 said:
OTBWY said:
If it ain't on Corbzy's agenda, it ain't on mine thank you.

Corbzy? As in Corbyn? IIRC he actually is anti-monarchy, like the only thing I agree with him on but it's something

Who else, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbI4oXL23ek

On topic though, he said that it's not in his agenda right now. He doesn't like the monarchy or that they should be brought into political discussion. So yeah.

I am indifferent to be honest. It's good for tourism I suppose, but on the other hand, it's very out of place in 2017.