By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Blade Runner 2049 has disappointing opening weekend of $32-35 million

So after making about $13 million with late night Thursday and Friday showings, Blade Runner is projected to fall massively short of original predictions of over $40 million. The first Blade Runner is a cult classic even though it bombed at the box office. When I went on Twitter..... there was massive excitement among the general users to go see the movie. Even with that excitement and the 89% Rotten Tomatoes score.... the movie still massively underwhelmed at the box office. I was planning to go see it... but I got caught up with other stuff and I wasn't able to get to a theatre. With this type of result.... I expect this movie to have incredibly weak legs for the coming weeks.

http://deadline.com/2017/10/ryan-gosling-blade-runner-2049-harrison-ford-opening-weekend-box-office-1202183063/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/10/07/box-office-blade-runner-2049-bombs-with-disastrous-13m-friday/#5d773e734f15

Factors that potentially damaged it include:

- Long runtime

- No big name star besides Harrison Ford

- Bad marketing

- Blade Runner having a niche fanbase

- Moviegoers waiting for other movies (Thor 3, Justice League, Star Wars 8)

I'm curious to know what you guys think about this situation. Why do you think this movie massively underwhelmed at the box office?

Around the Network

How is it falling massively short if it is only 5-8 million behind 40 million$? I'm confused ...

Also Ryan Gosling is a huge star, not just Harrison Ford.

Either way, I doubt it's a good movie, I doubt it's original, and I think we need new franchises. I can't say i'm happy it's failed though, just mixed about it.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
How is it falling massively short if it is only 5-8 million behind 40 million$? I'm confused ...

Either way, I doubt it's a good movie, I doubt it's original, and I think we need new franchises. I can't say i'm happy it's failed though, just mixed about it.

A 40- 45 million dollar opening isn't that high when placed on a scale closer to most triple A movies. Even a 5-8 million dollar decline means a 12.5 - 20 percent decline to the overall opening weekend. If a movie was projected to open with 150 million and faced a similar decline.... they would see a weekend of 120 million - 131 million. Percentage wise.... it's a huge drop. This movie cost upwards of 185 million dollars to make... and it's domestic total is going to fall way under it. Also, Ryan Gosling is a big star... but he's not big enough to bring a considerable amount of viewers who weren't already interested in this movie to go see it.  

I understand what you mean about the quality of the movie though. I have my fun with tentpole movies (Marvel, Pixar)... but I want new ideas as well. My favorite movie last year (Moonlight) opened up my eyes to filmmakers who are passionate about the art and are more concerned with quality rather than money. 

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

2hr43 is a bit long for a movie that we know is liberately meandering.

The original also don't made a lot of money.Blade runner is probably like the metroid of cinema.Really beloved by many(myself included)but just don't sell really well.Kinda sad,because while i don't like the idea of this movie existing(because kinda ruins the ending of the first one),if it's good,it should have support(i don't know if is,by the way,i have yet to see it).

Around the Network
Smartie900 said:

So after making about $13 million with late night Thursday and Friday showings, Blade Runner is projected to fall massively short of original predictions of over $40 million. The first Blade Runner is a cult classic even though it bombed at the box office. When I went on Twitter..... there was massive excitement among the general users to go see the movie. Even with that excitement and the 89% Rotten Tomatoes score.... the movie still massively underwhelmed at the box office. I was planning to go see it... but I got caught up with other stuff and I wasn't able to get to a theatre. With this type of result.... I expect this movie to have incredibly weak legs for the coming weeks.

http://deadline.com/2017/10/ryan-gosling-blade-runner-2049-harrison-ford-opening-weekend-box-office-1202183063/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/10/07/box-office-blade-runner-2049-bombs-with-disastrous-13m-friday/#5d773e734f15

Factors that potentially damaged it include:

- Long runtime

- No big name star besides Harrison Ford

- Bad marketing

- Blade Runner having a niche fanbase

- Moviegoers waiting for other movies (Thor 3, Justice League, Star Wars 8)

I'm curious to know what you guys think about this situation. Why do you think this movie massively underwhelmed at the box office?

At bolded.

The movie is excellent. Measures up as close to the 'original' as you could ask for today. I'm not surprised it's not the blockbuster some may have been expecting, though. Like you said the first film wasn't a commercial darling either. Despite the marketing it's not really bombastic, with lots of quiet moments and a long runtime. That could just as well be for the best, though; it's a miracle we got a worthy sequel to a 35 year old masterpiece, what are the odds it would happen again if they rushed out a third film? But how are Gosling and Leto not big name stars?

This movie is one of the best sci-fi movies I've ever seen. I'd say that it's hard to say which is best, 2049 or the original. It's not the blockbustery type of film some people might think it is. It's slow-paced, based mainly on dialogues. It's really long, clocking at nearly 3 hours. So I wouldn't be surprised if it's not a massive hit.

Still, the movie is visually astonishing, it tackles really interesting subjects about replicants and the human being, the plot has some pretty nice twists, acting is top notch, the soundtrack is goddamn brilliant... I think that Villeneuve was the right director to the task of bringing Blade Runner alive. It's a must for those who enjoyed the first one. But, as I said, I don't consider this is the type of film that everyone will enjoy. It goes against some norms dictated by the blockbuster type of cinema, and it's a pretty different experience. The original did something similar back in the 80s. They truly respected what Blade Runner means, and I can see how much love they put into this film. Couldn't leave the cinema happier.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
What a world we live in when ryan gosling isnt a star like you said but The rock is. People just loves trash and dumb movies like fast and furious and transformers.

It's my fault for not elaborating on the idea of a 'big star'. Ryan Gosling is well known... but he doesn't have the star power like The Rock to bring people in to see a movie. 

Smartie900 said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
What a world we live in when ryan gosling isnt a star like you said but The rock is. People just loves trash and dumb movies like fast and furious and transformers.

It's my fault for not elaborating on the idea of a 'big star'. Ryan Gosling is well known... but he doesn't have the star power like The Rock to bring people in to see a movie. 

Does The Rock bring people in though? He has quite a lot of bombs.