By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New Pokémon Revealed! - Travel Beyond Alola in Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon! Trailer

it really is a disappointment, maybe they should consider using some of the fan-made designs on youtube :P

Ultra S/M turns out to be totally unnecessary, sounds more like a plain money print for Nintendo

I'm always a fan of Pokemon but I don't think the direction it's taking is the best possible, S/M wasn't epic at all, too simple, too plain, hopefully that changes with Pokemon for Switch, we need a whole new era, and I don't mean in terms of region and monsters

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Around the Network

Really not feeling this. Gen VI and VII, the 3DS generations (outside of ORAS, which whilst good, felt watered down in comparison to the gens before it) has killed a lot of what I loved about the Pokemon games, they have begun to feel more like a visual novel with RPG elements to me, particularly in the first two islands of S/M, they handhold so much that it doesn't feel like your adventure anymore, there's no sense of adventure anymore. Mash A, walk two steps forward, have to mash A through a massive tutorial section, another two steps, rinse and repeat. There's no sense of having to go and explore the world for yourself at all.

I've got no hype for US/UM, I haven't touched S/M since beating them the first time, and I haven't felt compelled to go back to X/Y since I beat them either (and that was like three years ago now). I hope US/UM can be pleasant surprises but it's really not looking like it and the newest trailer hasn't swayed me at all.

I hope Pokemon Switch is a massive step-up, I still love the series, but the 3DS entries have felt so lifeless.

Fine Gamefreak you can have my money yet again.

"Travel beyond Alola"

Damn near clickbait if you ask me...

4 ≈ One

The way you travel through the Ultra Wormhole reminds me of the diving mode in Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance. Will be interesting to see how fleshed out is the Ultra Space.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
dark_gh0st_b0y said:
it really is a disappointment, maybe they should consider using some of the fan-made designs on youtube :P

Ultra S/M turns out to be totally unnecessary, sounds more like a plain money print for Nintendo

I'm always a fan of Pokemon but I don't think the direction it's taking is the best possible, S/M wasn't epic at all, too simple, too plain, hopefully that changes with Pokemon for Switch, we need a whole new era, and I don't mean in terms of region and monsters

I say Pokémon needs a reboot, but sadly if there's one franchise that'll never get one it's this. They're hellbent on always keeping everything they introduce, and keep the series moving forward without ever going back on any decision - and "moving forward" isn't necessarily always a good thing. There's been far too much dumb stuff introduced recently that I can only wish they'd ditch, but nah they won't.

Crappy Pokémon designs, I can live with. If they can't ditch that in a reboot, I'm fine (yeah Bewear makes me want to say otherwise, but I can pretend to be alright with that). But Ash-Greninja, Ultra Beasts, and worst of all, Z-moves? All that stuff is just plain fucking stupid. I get the point that Mega Evolution was also stupid, but I thought it was cool, because it was just the right amount of stupid - it was the little bit of stupid that added a bit to the game, but now with all this crap, it's just far, far too much. They've gone way out there, and only a reboot can really do anything for this franchise.

In the end though, whatever they decide to do, I'll probably hate it anyway. As long as Shigeru Ohmori is making the decisions, it won't get any better.

Even though I haven't actually played S/M (because I have Future Sight and knew to wait a year for USUM), I don't think Z-Moves are bad. At first I thought that way, but when I learned that they are one-time nukes in a battle instead of constant nukes like Megas, I realized that they are actually way more balanced and give every Pokemon a chance to do something with themselves instead of a select handful (and half of that handful didn't even need Megas in the first place).

But yeah, Pokemon will never completley reboot in the truest since. Way too many licensed critters to suddenly stop selling merch on. It doesn't really need a true franchise teardown and rebuild though, just like Zelda didn't. Just like Zelda, each game is essentially its own little self-contained origin story, and each new game is telling a new character's story and gives GF the chance to put in any single character and Pokemon it wants without worrying about plot continuity. If it suddenly wanted to go in a new direction with the next game, it can easily do that.

I guess it would also be nice if it took a cue from the latest Zelda and get it in its stupid head that most people playing these games know how to play the damn game already, and to stop treating everyone like 8-year-olds who never played a game in their life. The most consistant complaint I'm hearing about S/M is the nonstop cutscenes and tutorials, and I ain't got time for that.

deskpro2k3 said:
burninmylight said:

So what's the last Pokemon game you've played?

Yellow, just a few months ago after Go. I still think Red is the best.

Oh, it all makes sense now! *Snaps fingers* You're not here to shit post, you're a Genwunner!

Well have you played any of the modern games? Because if you had, then the title would make sense, as others have said. Blue will always have a special place in my heart, but I wouldn't touch that game again with a 10-foot pole without my nostalgia goggles on. There are many things wrong with the modern games, but any objective person will admit that the Pokemon series as a whole (slowly) gets better with each progressive generation.

burninmylight said:
deskpro2k3 said:

Yellow, just a few months ago after Go. I still think Red is the best.

Oh, it all makes sense now! *Snaps fingers* You're not here to shit post, you're a Genwunner!

Well have you played any of the modern games? Because if you had, then the title would make sense, as others have said. Blue will always have a special place in my heart, but I wouldn't touch that game again with a 10-foot pole without my nostalgia goggles on. There are many things wrong with the modern games, but any objective person will admit that the Pokemon series as a whole (slowly) gets better with each progressive generation.

Of course it gets better, just like most franchises, but it could have improved so much more. Gen 2 improved quite a lot compared to gen 1, but after that the number of improvements made got smaller each gen.

Red & Blue were good games back in 1996, but Sun & Moon were pretty mediocre in 2016.

I mean, just imagine how good the games could be, if they were less linear, if there was less hand-holding, if they were somwhat challenging, if the story was actually good, if the post-game was better, if they didn't use the same Pokémon over and over again while forgetting about others...

mZuzek said:
burninmylight said:

Even though I haven't actually played S/M (because I have Future Sight and knew to wait a year for USUM), I don't think Z-Moves are bad. At first I thought that way, but when I learned that they are one-time nukes in a battle instead of constant nukes like Megas, I realized that they are actually way more balanced and give every Pokemon a chance to do something with themselves instead of a select handful (and half of that handful didn't even need Megas in the first place).

But yeah, Pokemon will never completley reboot in the truest since. Way too many licensed critters to suddenly stop selling merch on. It doesn't really need a true franchise teardown and rebuild though, just like Zelda didn't. Just like Zelda, each game is essentially its own little self-contained origin story, and each new game is telling a new character's story and gives GF the chance to put in any single character and Pokemon it wants without worrying about plot continuity. If it suddenly wanted to go in a new direction with the next game, it can easily do that.

I guess it would also be nice if it took a cue from the latest Zelda and get it in its stupid head that most people playing these games know how to play the damn game already, and to stop treating everyone like 8-year-olds who never played a game in their life. The most consistant complaint I'm hearing about S/M is the nonstop cutscenes and tutorials, and I ain't got time for that.

Z-moves being balanced (they aren't) doesn't make them any better as a mechanic, because they are completely dumb, one-time things that can be used at any point in a battle and whenever they are, will just trigger a boring, stupid 30-second cutscene that only looks cool if you're 6 years old. I don't care about how balanced or not Mega Evolution was (eh, I thought it was fine), it at least kept the focus on the gameplay and you always knew when it was coming. I just hate it whenever games decide to completely turn off gameplay for long-ass cutscenes and Z-moves on Pokémon is the worst case of it I've seen yet.

Also, each Pokémon game isn't self-contained like Zelda at all. The stories and characters and regions and such are self-contained, but the franchise always keeps moving forward with more Pokémon, more moves, more items, more mechanics, etc. without ever dropping even a single one (the only thing I can recall ever being dropped was the gen 3/4 contests). Zelda isn't like that at all - each Zelda game plays very differently, they each have their own set of mechanics and most of them don't come back in later games.

There are plenty of mechanics that get introduced in Pokemon games that don't come back for later games (Safari Zone, Pokemon following you, Triple Battles, Battle Institute to name a few), but that's hardly a point in GameFreak's favor. The point is that usually when a franchise of some sort, say a video game IP, comic, movie franchise or whatnot, gets a complete reboot, it's mostly for plot and continuity related reasons. It's so the writers, directors and whomever can start over with a clean slate after the canon has gotten so messed up and convoluted that they can't hardly do anything with a new story without writing themselves into a corner or being severly hamstrung on what they can do within the confines of the franchises universe.

Pokemon and Zelda don't have that problem because with (almost) each new game, you start off with a new character in a different time and setting. So these franchises can get a "soft" reboot without completely tearing everything down. IPs like Star Fox and Metroid, those would need a hard reboot. Devil May Cry already got a hard reboot. Breath of the Wild kind of is a soft reboot for Zelda if you ask me.

"each Zelda game plays very differently, they each have their own set of mechanics and most of them don't come back in later games."

I'd say that console Zelda's for the past 20 years have hardly played differently from a core gameplay standpoint. Yes, they all have fluourishes or hooks here and there to set them apart from one another, but they are all largely Ocarina's offshoots until BotW.

Also, I never said Z-Moves are balanced. I did call them a "one-time nuke." I said they aren't bad (or let's say as bad as some megas). They have the potential to make already good Pokemon broken, or already stupidly good Pokemon broken beyond repair. But they also have the potential to make bad or mediocre Pokemon be able to do something and carve some sort of niche for themselves. When you make a new mechanic and you give it to everyone instead of the select few, that's what happens. Megas were all about the chosen few, and they made some mediocre Pokemon better, some mediocre Pokemon still mediocre, and some already very good Pokemon ridiculous and overly powerful to the point of centralizing the competitive game. At least with Z-Crystals, everybody gets a lick of the popsicle.

I'm with you on the long-ass cutscenes for the Z-Moves though. I watch a lot of battles online, and I feel like I can get up and fix a sandwhich everytime someone uses a Z-attack. This isn't Metal Gear Solid. I want to play a game, not watch a crappy movie in 240p.

Flilix said:
burninmylight said:

Of course it gets better, just like most franchises, but it could have improved so much more. Gen 2 improved quite a lot compared to gen 1, but after that the number of improvements made got smaller each gen.

Red & Blue were good games back in 1996, but Sun & Moon were pretty mediocre in 2016.

I mean, just imagine how good the games could be, if they were less linear, if there was less hand-holding, if they were somwhat challenging, if the story was actually good, if the post-game was better, if they didn't use the same Pokémon over and over again while forgetting about others...

All these points are true. But do you think R&B are better games today than S&M now? If I could quantify the pure fun I had with a game and love I have for it, there would be a giant statue of Squirtle in my living room, next to The Hero of Time. But that doesn't make Blue a better game today.