By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - RE4 Wii passes RE4 GC! Wow..Wow..Wow... RE5 for the Wii please!!!!!!

Ail said:

Then it's not RE5 they want as that game has been in development for the Xbox360 and PS3 for a while.

What they want a new resident evil on the Wii, that is somewhat different.....

PS : and like I tried to explain, Graphics is not the main issue, the main issue before graphics is going to be memory ( it's rather easy to dub down Graphics, just use less detailed textures and lower count polygons on the models...)

The Wii has only 88 Memory, 64 of which only can be used for non graphical stuff. And it's not a PC, it can't swap when it run out of memory......( especially with no hardrive :P)

The thing is, you don't know whether that would be an insurmountable problem or not. Therefore, you're trying to convince people based on information you don't have. Maybe RE5 doesn't use much memory for non-graphical stuff, or maybe it does. If it does, maybe some clever programming can squeeze down memory usage to a level which is doable on the Wii. We don't know, so let's stop pretending we know.

PS: The Wii does have 512 MB of flash memory which could perhaps be used as virtual memory, although I haven't heard of any developer using that approach.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
Man said:
@ Ail

Youve completely missed the point. Wii owners dont want a wii version that is comparable graphically to the ps3/360 versions. They all undersand the power difference between the consoles.

They want a version with obviously worse graphics, but better controls. They know their version would look more like the ps2 than the ps3, but they dont care. Its not about graphics, its about the gameplay, and im sure to pretty much all wii owners, an re5 that has the same graphics as re4 would definately be good enough. The power of the wii compared to the 360/ps3 has nothing to do with this argument.

Jesus titty-fucking Christ, it has everything to do with this argument. Physics, enemies, it has everything to do with a game like this. The Wii cannot handle just a *port* of RE5. Just like it couldn't handle a port of Gears, Uncharted, or any other fucking high-definition game I can think of that is worth mentioning.

Wii owners, you will get an RE game. Just let this one fucking go. It's not geared for your console and if it is ported, enjoy your RE2 on N64. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:

Jesus titty-fucking Christ, it has everything to do with this argument. Physics, enemies, it has everything to do with a game like this. The Wii cannot handle just a *port* of RE5. Just like it couldn't handle a port of Gears, Uncharted, or any other fucking high-definition game I can think of that is worth mentioning.

Wii owners, you will get an RE game. Just let this one fucking go. It's not geared for your console and if it is ported, enjoy your RE2 on N64.

I refer you to the post I wrote just before yours.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

rocketpig said:
Man said:
@ Ail

Youve completely missed the point. Wii owners dont want a wii version that is comparable graphically to the ps3/360 versions. They all undersand the power difference between the consoles.

They want a version with obviously worse graphics, but better controls. They know their version would look more like the ps2 than the ps3, but they dont care. Its not about graphics, its about the gameplay, and im sure to pretty much all wii owners, an re5 that has the same graphics as re4 would definately be good enough. The power of the wii compared to the 360/ps3 has nothing to do with this argument.

I agree with you. RE5 on the Wii could not be directly ported. Still, I have nothing against people wanting that game on the Wii, it's their right, but I can definately see your problem with their arguments. The only thing that affects me about it, is it gives the Sony fanboys ammo against the Wii userbase.

That said, many games like Mario Galaxy, Resident Evil 4, or Brawl are better than most or all games available on the PS3 or 360, yet they managed to do so without advanced graphics, physics, or amount of enemies on screen.

So, quality software lies more in the hands of the developer, than they do in the inherant nature of the machine they are developing for.

I find it a common misconception that: All things equal, games on the PSP will be better than games on the DS.

Such things are simply not true, and even if they were, this isn't a vaccume. Things are not equal. Games are different and equally comparable by opinion, not fact, even ports from one console to another.

If a port is shitty, like RE2 for the N64, it's capcom's fault. They didn't spend enough time, money, or effort porting and changing the game in ways to match the hardware that its played on. If they did, it wouldn't have been worth porting in the first place, because of cost. So, we end up with a shitty port. That's reality. However, that is NOT the N64's fault, for deciding to stick with cartridges. That's Capcom's fault for deciding to half-assedly port a game they made for CD-Rom, to a cartridge medium without making it a quality game.

Cause you know this is true: When a game is shitty. You should never blame the hardware.

EXCEPT!:: If it was a virtual boy game.

lol, however, if any game has ever been good on the DS, N64, or Wii, then a bad DS, N64, or Wii game has no excuse.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

rocketpig:

To come back to the REmake: no it wasn't on PS2. You said the best RE's of last generation, so I assumed all consoles.
But: Do play REmake, it's absolutely awesome (and best RE imo).

I'll let the rest of this conversation pass me by, because I'm going to buy RE5 no matter what happens and the atmosphere is pretty agressive round here.

But Capcom: Please REmake 2+3 with Wii controls (Raccoon City Stories would be a nice title) put in less ammo, less herbs compared to RE4 and put in more puzzles and I'm a happy gamer. (And I'm already happy with you, Capcom. I've bought 2/3 titles you have on Wii right now, which will become 3/4 when Okami arrives.)

EDIT: nice link to calm everyone down: http://www.petitiononline.com/reps2/petition.html

Around the Network

It would seem people who own multiple consoles get easily irritated by any suggestion of the Wii breaking out of its niche. They can't understand why the most successful system should have the most successful third party games. Apparently the PS2 never happened last generation. And while yes the third parties were caught off guard, we've not seen much else to encourage us aside from Monster Hunter and Guitar Hero.

We do not want every game on the Wii, though considering its the only console selling in Japan, maybe at least getting the major Japanese developed games would be nice.

And Rocketpig, while Nintendo has dicked over third party developers for a good long time, that Nintendo died when the company was reformatted during the later part of the Gamecube's lifespan when Reggie and Iwata were made the Presidents. Nintendo has since bent over backwards for third party developers since then, but the fact that Nintendo refuses to throw away money like MS does and Sony did to bribe them to develop for their console seems to make them the villain once again. Sure, they could easily buy exclusivity to a number of games, but the problem then is that becomes the standard and is a non-maintainable means of sustaining a relationship with a third party developer. It also results in you entering a market where the incentive to build a good game is completely null and void.

Will we have to let this one go? Most likely, but we can at least try. I know if the Wii doesn't get it I'll certainly be looking forward to a port of it on the next Nintendo console.

rocketpig said:
Man said:
@ Ail

Physics: Wii has shown it is able to run the Havok engine, which should be more than sufficient for the game... unless you think RE5 needs more advanced physics than Starcraft 2, Halflife 2 (or anything written in the Source engine), etc. 

Enemies: Although I am not saying for sure that this is the case for RE5, the previous RE games have not been about "There are 10k enemies on screen, kill them all).  The largest fight I can think of offhand (although there's a caveat here: I have not completed any of the games other than RE4:Wii because of the controls) was easily handled by the Wii with a decent level of graphics.  The RE series is not about having 1000 enemies onscreen at a time.

So those 2 arguments don't matter.  Level design is the main problem I would see with the game; in RE4 there were definitely times when you can tell they pushed the draw distance of the GC to the max, and so if they've been continuing that for the 360/PS3 version than there could be an issue.  But once again, I don't know if that will be the case because (to me at least) huge draw distances can remove the scary feelings from games... I am much more able to map out a plan, etc.  Small, confined spaces seem to work better in games like RE.  So for this particular limitation, I feel that the Wii would be aided by what works for the genre.

They already have an enginethey could use, and yes, it would take a lot of time and money to recreate the assets for RE5, but saying that its impossible to do is just wrong.  Is it that hard to believe that *gasp*, Wii owners might be fine with downgraded graphics?

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

That said, many games like Mario Galaxy, Resident Evil 4, or Brawl are better than most or all games available on the PS3 or 360, yet they managed to do so without advanced graphics, physics, or amount of enemies on screen.

So, quality software lies more in the hands of the developer, than they do in the inherant nature of the machine they are developing for.

Absolutely. Don't get me wrong, I love the Wii. If I could walk into a store right now and buy *another* one (sold my last one), I would. But I don't want one badly enough to chase it down. When it's readily available, I'll buy another. It has some great games.

I just can't comprehend why it's so bloody important that Capcom put RE5 on the machine. In the next few years, the Wii is going to pull some serious franchises to its loving embrace. Enjoy them when they release, just stop with the complaints that every third party game isn't coming to the console.

And Rocketpig, while Nintendo has dicked over third party developers for a good long time, that Nintendo died when the company was reformatted during the later part of the Gamecube's lifespan when Reggie and Iwata were made the Presidents. Nintendo has since bent over backwards for third party developers since then, but the fact that Nintendo refuses to throw away money like MS does and Sony did to bribe them to develop for their console seems to make them the villain once again. Sure, they could easily buy exclusivity to a number of games, but the problem then is that becomes the standard and is a non-maintainable means of sustaining a relationship with a third party developer. It also results in you entering a market where the incentive to build a good game is completely null and void.

Absolutely. I mentioned in an earlier post how Nintendo is a very different company now. I also mentioned that it will take more than 16 months for developers to come back to the console in large numbers. It will happen, just be patient.

And you're right about how MS and Sony are artificially maintaining this industry with large doses of hard, cold cash. Fortunately, Nintendo came in with a completely different attitude and is proceeding to mop the floor with both of them. Next generation, this loss-leading strategy will be thrown out the window and we'll enjoy a healthy, profitable industry without fear of it all crashing down on our heads.

rocketpig said:

Absolutely. Don't get me wrong, I love the Wii. If I could walk into a store right now and buy *another* one (sold my last one), I would. But I don't want one badly enough to chase it down. When it's readily available, I'll buy another. It has some great games.

I just can't comprehend why it's so bloody important that Capcom put RE5 on the machine. In the next few years, the Wii is going to pull some serious franchises to its loving embrace. Enjoy them when they release, just stop with the complaints that every third party game isn't coming to the console.

Yeah, I completely agree.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.