By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So is "get a second job for a PS3" gaming's biggest misquote?

Ken Kutaragi said a lot of off-the-chain shit when it came to his products and company, but there's one thing he said that remains to be video gaming's biggest misquote. When it came to the PS3, he said... 

"... we want consumers to think to themselves 'I will work more hours to buy one'. We want people to feel that they want it, irrespective of anything else."

Which ended up becoming, "Get a second job [for a PS3]", or some offshoot of on various forums and even game article titles. I wonder how the quote turned into that, since you necessarily don't need a second job to work more hours, but, okay. Maybe it was just console wars, maybe it was the meme-ing in the midst of the Playstation 3 introductory flubs. Who knows. Because, that's not exactly a thing you want to lead in with when selling a console. I think Phil Spencer's calling the Xbox One X a "premium product" was a better way of cushioning the blow in comparison. At least for PR's sake.

Just wondering if there are any other misquotes in gaming like that. I think it remains the biggest "Mandela effect" in gaming so far.

Around the Network

It's still bullshit, what he said. They want to make the console expensive so that people will work more hours to get it? Like they're going to single-handedly boost economic productivity

Yes it's a missquote... what he meant was that they would deliver something so great that even though it was expensive some people would work extra to be able to buy it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

It's a really odd quote though. It's backwards from what you think PS would want. The more you have to work, the less time to have to play games. Creating a system that forces people to work more to get it, doesn't make much sense. It's like assuming it's that easy to just put in overtime whenever a new PS console is on deck, then slack off work big time, because your focused on gaming for the next 5-8 years. Doesn't work like that for most people. Hence the "get a second job" misquote, because truthfully, that was more so the reality of the situation. Especially during that economic downturn/collapse time frame.

VGPolyglot said:
It's still bullshit, what he said. They want to make the console expensive so that people will work more hours to get it? Like they're going to single-handedly boost economic productivity

Nah, that's not what he said.

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
VGPolyglot said:

Nah, that's not what he said.

So, what else did he want to get out of it?

Do game mistranslations count as misquotes? If so then I think the starting cutscene of Zero Wing is pretty infamous.

There's a semi famous line in a fan translated version of Tales of Phantasia about "I bet Arche fucks like a tiger" but its not true to the original line said by Klarth/Claus. That could count as a misquote because that specific line is attributed to him without him officially saying it. Again in Phantasia, another semi famous quote, "If there is evil in this world, it lurks in the hearts of men" is almost always attributed to Edward D Morrison (even in official versions of the game) but he was just recalling the words of another character and in his recollection he never says that specific line. Its odd when a game misquotes itself.

But I think this stuff is pretty niche, I'm struggling to think of any big ones on the level of "Luke, I am your father" I know devs are mistranslated all the time into various languages resulting in incorrect quotes, stuff like the origin of the name Final Fantasy for example. A few quotes exist attributed to Hironobu Sakaguchi, the most famous quote states he chose the name Final Fantasy because it was intended as his final work before quitting the games industry and returning to university. I first read that quote about 17 years ago but I'm not actually sure where it originated. The official UK Playstation magazine were claiming he said it in an interview, but it seems to be a mistranslation/misquote. He has definitely stated quite recently that he just wanted the title to abbreviate to FF, the other popular myth is completely wrong and misattributed to him (although its possible SOMEBODY said it, other devs such as Nobuo Uematsu have given their own accounts over the years)

Man that's tough to beat.

'What about gamers that want to play offline?' 'Buy a 360' Is bad but it's not as bad as get a second job.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Ken saw PlayStation as the platform that was going to connect every aspect of our lives. PlayStation 3 and Cell were supposed to be in every single thing that ran electricity threw it (light bulbs, speakers, microwaves, refrigerators, cars, phones) and even things that weren't digitized or autonomous then or even now.

PlayStation 3 was supposed to be the hub of everything in the digital life. All other devices were supposed to connect to your PS3, as it would hold your music, movies, games, documents, and anything else digital.

In Ken's vision PS3 was to be the foundation to what actaully became iOS. Unfortunately, he was unable to sell it in a way that Sony or the pubil at large understood.

With people getting amped up to buy a $1000 iPhone in a few weeks, I think Ken was perfectly in line.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL