By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware And Software 12 August 2017

Peach_buggy said:
Lawlight said:

Is there a Switch shortage in the UK? Stock trackers say no.

http://www.nowinstock.net/uk/videogaming/consoles/nintendoswitch/

I know you are not used to this but it is actually proof. Available in less than 50% of the stockists here. Yeah i'd say that pretty much proves shortages.

There are 4 stockists in that list - Nintendo, Game, Argos and Amazon. 3 out of those 4 have stock. Thank you for proving my point for me. Now, game is shown to have no stock - except it does (http://www.game.co.uk/en/m/nintendo-switch-neon-red-neon-blue-1712272). It seems that the tracker has updated Switch stock's status for Game.

Conclusion - 4 out of 4 stockists have Switches in stock which proves no shortage. Even Christophe Dring said so.

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
Peach_buggy said:

http://www.nowinstock.net/uk/videogaming/consoles/nintendoswitch/

I know you are not used to this but it is actually proof. Available in less than 50% of the stockists here. Yeah i'd say that pretty much proves shortages.

There are 4 stockists in that list - Nintendo, Game, Argos and Amazon. 3 out of those 4 have stock. Thank you for proving my point for me. Now, game is shown to have no stock - except it does (http://www.game.co.uk/en/m/nintendo-switch-neon-red-neon-blue-1712272). It seems that the tracker has updated Switch stock's status for Game.

Conclusion - 4 out of 4 stockists have Switches in stock which proves no shortage. Even Christophe Dring said so.

Cherrypick all you like. Only 1 joycon colour scheme in each. Believe it or not, that can actually be a purchasing condition. If you bothered to check the stock history section, you will see most stock at whichever outlet lasts an average of 6 hours until getting sold out. That's why there is 1) such a quick turnover of stock and 2) clearly better supply and with this better supply you can clearly see there are being more Switches both supplied and sold in the U.K. at this point. So don't be surprised when you see it to begin to outsell PS4 in the U.K. any time from the middle of August onwards.

Peach_buggy said:

Yes but if the demand is suddenly met, then that also tells you the sales would have gone up, so that is just what i am trying to say. There are still places where supply is not quite being met yet, so there could be more room for higher numbers eventually. Nope i don't buy your reason either. Any proof? I agree that Nintendo should make more of  an effort in several of those countries but Switch doing Wii u-like numbers in Europe? Nope not buying it. Not like the numbers here are all that accurate at times anyway.

@Bold No, I am not saying that Nintendo just suddenly met demand in Europe. It's was obviously a gradual process over the past weeks ... (and sales actually go down once demand has been met, sales only increase if demand isn't met so you have it the other way around) 

As for proof, weekly sales seems to indicate that Nintendo is only shipping ~150K units out of the ~650K units they can produce monthly to Europe while US and Japan get ~250K units each, probably even less right now since VGC seems to lag once we consider that we're at the near end of September when VGC only has data for the beginning of August ... (as some would say, 'the proof is in the pudding' and the fact that Nintendo is successively shipping less and less units for Europe means that the Switch supply hasn't been fully depleted yet in European channels so the system must be in relative abundance for that territory) 

Also, your last line stinks of denial ... 

Another week of the Switch confusing people.

fatslob-:O said:
Peach_buggy said:

Yes but if the demand is suddenly met, then that also tells you the sales would have gone up, so that is just what i am trying to say. There are still places where supply is not quite being met yet, so there could be more room for higher numbers eventually. Nope i don't buy your reason either. Any proof? I agree that Nintendo should make more of  an effort in several of those countries but Switch doing Wii u-like numbers in Europe? Nope not buying it. Not like the numbers here are all that accurate at times anyway.

@Bold No, I am not saying that Nintendo just suddenly met demand in Europe. It's was obviously a gradual process over the past weeks ... (and sales actually go down once demand has been met, sales only increase if demand isn't met so you have it the other way around) 

As for proof weekly sales seems to indicate that Nintendo is only shipping ~150K units out of the ~650K units they can produce monthly to Europe while US and Japan get ~250K units each, probably even less right now since VGC seems to lag once we consider that we're at the near end of September when VGC only has data for the beginning of August ... (as some would say, 'the proof is in the pudding' and the fact that Nintendo is successively shipping less and less units for Europe means that the Switch supply hasn't been fully depleted yet in European channels so the system must be in relative abundance for that territory) 

Also, your last line stinks of denial ... 

No, the demand is gradually being met in the places in Europe where  it was nearly impossible to procure in the past. A check of nowinstock will prove this fact. In the 3 main countries of Europe it is literally in stock for hours before being restocked. The mere fact it is being restocked much quicker now goes to prove there is more stock allocated there now, so defacto more sales. Yet this isn't being taken into account on this very tracking site. This is why i thought Europe and even possibly U.S. is undertracked here. It's not just me that doesn't trust the numbers here any more. After all, they are just estimates anyway. You really think supply meeting demand=sales going down? No,it means more being shipped there, ergo more sales. Nintendo has already upped production. It doesn't mean LESS consoles are going to Europe. If anything slightly more are being sent there, as the stockchecking sites restock history proves.

Around the Network
Peach_buggy said:
Lawlight said:

Cherrypick all you like. Only 1 joycon colour scheme in each. Believe it or not, that can actually be a purchasing condition. If you bothered to check the stock history section, you will see most stock at whichever outlet lasts an average of 6 hours until getting sold out. That's why there is 1) such a quick turnover of stock and 2) clearly better supply and with this better supply you can clearly see there are being more Switches both supplied and sold in the U.K. at this point. So don't be surprised when you see it to begin to outsell PS4 in the U.K. any time from the middle of August onwards.

I did not cherrypick anything. You said less than 50% of the stockists tracked have the Switch in stock. I proved that you are wrong and that 100% of them have Switch stock. Now you moved on to say that only 1 colour scheme is available. Argos has both sets of colours. Nintendo has 3 colour schemes to choose from on their website. Game has 2 as well as does Amazon. So, 100% of the stockists on there have 2 or more colour schemes.

Conclusion, again - Switch has no stock issue in the UK and is readily available.

Lawlight said:
Peach_buggy said:

I did not cherrypick anything. You said less than 50% of the stockists tracked have the Switch in stock. I proved that you are wrong and that 100% of them have Switch stock. Now you moved on to say that only 1 colour scheme is available. Argos has both sets of colours. Nintendo has 3 colour schemes to choose from on their website. Game has 2 as well as does Amazon. So, 100% of the stockists on there have 2 or more colour schemes.

Conclusion, again - Switch has no stock issue in the UK and is readily available.

I am beginning to doubt you can even read or add up. Of the 14 stockists on the list, 6 have Switches available and that situation changes almost hourly.  The front page doesn't lie. The reason it updates every 5 minutes is because it sells out so quickly and even some of the links listing it as in stock even change to out of stock as you click on them. Perhaps it would help if you actually lived in the U.K.? People here will tell you how incredibly hard it is still to get hold of. Since when does 6/14 stockists listing Switch as available = being 100% available? If someone wants to believe something, it seems facts don't even prove stuff to them? 

Peach_buggy said:

No, the demand is gradually being met in the places in Europe where  it was nearly impossible to procure in the past. A check of nowinstock will prove this fact. In the 3 main countries of Europe it is literally in stock for hours before being restocked. The mere fact it is being restocked much quicker now goes to prove there is more stock allocated there now, so defacto more sales. Yet this isn't being taken into account on this very tracking site. This is why i thought Europe and even possibly U.S. is undertracked here. It's not just me that doesn't trust the numbers here any more. After all, they are just estimates anyway. You really think supply meeting demand=sales going down? No,it means more being shipped there, ergo more sales. Nintendo has already upped production. It doesn't mean LESS consoles are going to Europe. If anything slightly more are being sent there, as the stockchecking sites restock history proves.

@Bold Until we can get hard numbers from Nintendo there's no way to prove your assertion to be true regardless of how often restocked the Switch is. It's not just about how frequent the restocks are, it's also about how much in quantity that restocking happens too ... (No one in their right mind would claim that more goods are shipping to Country B which is getting restocked about 1 unit every week than Country A which gets restocked with 10 units each month) 

You don't trust the numbers because of your partisanship getting in the way, VGC only gets more accurate as time goes on since the group behind it are frequent to readjust ... (after all the vast majority of market data are only estimates but you don't see the business world losing their minds over it) 

Supply meeting demand does mean sales usually go down (not much reason to sell a Switch if everybody on this planet owns one), at least assuming that demand stays constant in an academic setting but that's hardly ever true in the real world since many variables could affect the sales of game consoles such as pricing or games ... 

Peach_buggy said:
Lawlight said:

I am beginning to doubt you can even read or add up. Of the 14 stockists on the list, 6 have Switches available and that situation changes almost hourly.  The front page doesn't lie. The reason it updates every 5 minutes is because it sells out so quickly and even some of the links listing it as in stock even change to out of stock as you click on them. Perhaps it would help if you actually lived in the U.K.? People here will tell you how incredibly hard it is still to get hold of. Since when does 6/14 stockists listing Switch as available = being 100% available? If someone wants to believe something, it seems facts don't even prove stuff to them? 

Am I in bizarro-land or are you doing this on purpose. There is no 14 stockists on that list - there's only 4 of them. Jeez, how ironic that you're telling I can't read or add up.

If anyone in the UK tella me that it is incredibly hard to find the Switch right now I would call them an idiot because it's clearly available.

And please, give me the name of those 14 stockists. Lol, 14 stockists.

Good Switch and PS4 sales

Mess at the 3DS outselling the Xbox 1 by 40k