By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Is OLED worth the price?

Is OLED worth the premium price

100% yes 43 67.19%

Not that big a difference... 21 32.81%

Total:64
vivster said:
eddy7eddy said:
You should take a look at the new Samsung QLED TVs, it's a new screen technology that isn't as tiny as OLED TVs but match the picture quality (Live colors and true Dark).

They said the exact same thing about "SUHD" and look how that went.

How that went?
Both works with the same technology (Quantum Dot) but improved technology with a really big improve on brightness, so is no big differece in picture quality and I don't remember exactly why they change the name, it's more like a SUHD 2.0.

Around the Network

I heard the SONY XBR55X900E is pretty good. Based on feedback from the youtube community, it has good hdr, and great black levels. Not sure about the viewing angle.

I've been looking to get a new TV myself at the end of the year and am looking at mid range tvs. Most sites I've been in recommend the Sony midrange. If you have the money, the LG is the one. This is also taking lag into consideration since I'm primarily be using it for gaming.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/hdr-gaming

Simple fact it it isnt a huge leap in technology, but that doesn't mean that the differences arent noticable.

Take an average LED and a 2017 OLED. The differences in a medium to low lit room is undeniable.

Speaking strictly of 2017 LG models, the whites are probably the most perfect I have ever seen. Black levels and greyscale is also very accurate. 2016 and below models have black crush and very inaccurate greys. 2017 models do not have this issue.

The issue right now with LED is that nobody has made any real advancements in the tech.

QLED is rushed and faulty ( lots of complaints about backlight bleeding).

Local diming on QLED/LED sets of late have also been rushed and tacked on. But I believe Sony LED's have the best local dimming tech.

If you dont mind waiting, wait for LED's to feature accurate dimming. Or get yourself a 2017 OLED the second it is on sale.

I personally watch movies on a 122" 2.35.1 projector screen. Naturlly I have no interest in OLED, but it is impressive.

eddy7eddy said:
vivster said:

They said the exact same thing about "SUHD" and look how that went.

How that went?
Both works with the same technology (Quantum Dot) but improved technology with a really big improve on brightness, so is no big differece in picture quality and I don't remember exactly why they change the name, it's more like a SUHD 2.0.

It went the way of not being like OLED at all. They might get closer in color range but contrast and the usual terrible side effects of backlit panels stays. Unless it is OLED it is not even close to OLED.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

personally I'd probably get a cheap 2nd hand TV now (maybe a KU6300 series one - it's great for games and cheap) and really think about upgrading to OLED once TVs support VRR - variable refresh rates, pretty much Freesync/G-synch for TVs

If you have the money, getting any other TV other than OLED would be a waste of money. If you really want LCD, then go for the Sony Z9D, best LCD ever made.

Personally I'd wait, my 2010 Plasma still works, HDMI 2.1 with VRR will soon be added to 2018 sets and HFR (120fps) is the next frontier for TVs. Then TVs will have all the dream features: OLED, 4K, HDR, VRR and HFR.

Peh said:
Depends on what you use it for. It is not suitable for attaching a PC on it due to burn ins. Same as gaming.
They still have the same flaws as in the beginning:

Lower brightness compared to LCD and decreasing further with time.
Low lifecycle
Burn in

Higher latency in regard to non oled.

But it's perfect for watching movies in a dark room.

Those concern me the most, since it will likely be on for 8 to 12 hours a day on average between my kids, my wife and I. My kids tend to play a game for a bit and then leave it on while watching let's play on the iPad, letting whatever screen the game was on sitting for an hour or more...

manuel said:
I wish TVs were as cheap as that here in Japan.

Do they include sales tax and environmental fee in the prices in Japan? There's another 13% on top of those prices here.
Weird that Sony tvs are more expensive in Japan than in Canada.

Turkish said:
If you have the money, getting any other TV other than OLED would be a waste of money. If you really want LCD, then go for the Sony Z9D, best LCD ever made.

Personally I'd wait, my 2010 Plasma still works, HDMI 2.1 with VRR will soon be added to 2018 sets and HFR (120fps) is the next frontier for TVs. Then TVs will have all the dream features: OLED, 4K, HDR, VRR and HFR.

Well Z9D is 7000 here, way out of my price range. I had hoped my tv would have made it until HDMI 2.1, perhaps it still will. The compression artifacts of cable tv are still worse than the digital noise its displaying atm lol.

The 900E seems a good alternative to tv and movies, I'll watch for a sale. HMDI 2.1 will probably be a premium feature in 2018 on the most expensive tvs. Plus I'm much more into VR nowadays anyway.

SvennoJ said:
manuel said:
I wish TVs were as cheap as that here in Japan.

Do they include sales tax and environmental fee in the prices in Japan? There's another 13% on top of those prices here.
Weird that Sony tvs are more expensive in Japan than in Canada.

That depends on the shop. But most advertise prices without tax so it looks cheaper.

Tax here is 8%, but still Sony products are more expensive in Japan than in Canada and the USA. Bummer.

http://kakaku.com/kaden/lcd-tv/itemlist.aspx?pdf_se=8&pdf_Spec301=52-60&pdf_so=p1

The cheapest 55 incher from Sony on the price comparison site kakaku.com (most-used in Japan) is 16800 Yen (with tax), or about 1850 CAD, which would be about 1635 CAD when taking off 13% tax.

Need something off Play-Asia? http://www.play-asia.com/