By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why are the Castlevania games considered good?

mZuzek said:
LuccaCardoso1 said:
It's all because of Symphony of the Night. The other games were all forgettable and/or bad.

You are forgettable and/or bad.

Wow, that was so gratuitous

B O I

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
LuccaCardoso1 said:

Wow, that was so gratuitous

So was your comment on a load of great games.

Looks like you took it very personally for some reason. Let me correct myself: The other games were mostly forgettable and/or bad. Some of them were good indeed.

B O I

The same reason Metal Gear gets the nod over Splinter Cell. People like the story and the over all tone of the game.

The controls and feel aren't exactly bad but they are somewhat stiff..intentionally.

Meral Gear is focused on stealth and almost over reliant on it if you ask me...and sacrafices gun control and accuracy. SC was in my opinion far greater in both of those facets.

So basically...Castlevania tried to seperate itself from the sidescroll action genre.

I'm not the biggest fan of CV but I appreciate originality. Anytime you can capture a players emotions by environment alone you've accomplished something major. Thats not ecactly what I'm trying to say but you get the picture.

Insert Coin. Press START. You Died. Continue?

Bristow9091 said:
Admittedly I've only ever played two Castlevania games... Castlevania 64 on, well, the N64... which I enjoyed at the time, not sure if it's considered a good or bad game by the fans though, lol. The second is Lords of Shadow, only the first one though, played it on PS3 then bought it in a Steam sale too, it was actually a REALLY good game... never got round to the sequel, but heard it was pretty bad or something anyway.

Never played any of the older games, and whenever I ask about which game to play, the answer always seems to be Symphony of the Night, but then some people also tell me it's a bad game too, lol. Guess I'll have to play it one day and find out, it's on the Playstation Store so I'll play it on my Vita... if I get to it, lol.

Fuck Sotn. Play Rondo of Blood, Bloodlines and Super Castlevania 4. 3 best in the series. CV4 isn't that difficult but Bloodlines will make Dark Souls look like an easy setting. Great game still.

Nice to see I’ve made a thread engaging people and that stir up emotions.

But I stand by my opinion that you can’t call the controls of the game good with a straight face.

Around the Network
Spindel said:
Nice to see I’ve made a thread engaging people and that stir up emotions.

But I stand by my opinion that you can’t call the controls of the game good with a straight face.

You can moon walk on stairs in CV4 so yes I can.

One of my all time favourite series
Great game play, great art, and great music, the old ones are really damn hard that's why they are so special, SOTN is one of the best games ever, and my favourite of all dawn of sorrow

Spindel said:
To everyone yelling Symphony of the Night:

I’m not saying it’s a good or bad game (since I’ve not played it) but Castlevania was considered a classic series before that game was released. You just might be to young to remember.

Quit the dad act.

You don't need to be "too young to remember" to prefer SOTN over what came before. I played the games in order, starting with the original game on the NES back in 80s. And still, when SOTN came out in 1997, no amount of "but those games are classic" would make me prefer them over it.

Last edited by Hynad - on 10 February 2018

At the time, I thought the NES Castlevania games were sublime. Graphics and music were top notch and controls were great. The only downside was that you were committed to a jump once you made it--but that's what made it realistic.

Castlevania II was too cryptic for its own good and had crappy boss fights, though. Even then, it did a lot of new things I hadn't seen before.

played only super castlevania on snes, but this game were really great for that time, awesome visual and soundtrack, even controls were fine, so couldn't say something about the others