By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - WSJ: Nintendo Surges on Prospect of Access to China

twintail said:
Darwinianevolution said:

Well, being able to be ok in the eyes of the censors allows the game to be sold there in the first place. That's a huge advantage over games that can't be sold without massive modifications or just can't. Ever.

Ans yeah, the iQue lineup has been selling in China for years now, but now that the chinese market is opening to the actual official consoles, it could really be a turning point.

You can already buy the Switch and related games in China (just get them from HK, a Chinese region, if you push comes to shove, or online)

This is what im saying... ppl who want one already know how to get them.

Importing and buying from other regions can only get them so far. If the console was in every possible store instead of having to go to Hong Kong to get it, the market for it would expand exponentially. Plus, if a console isn't officially released in a region, Nintendo can't advertise it there.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

plus, people tend to forget how big of a market china is. even if most of the people are poor, the top 10% are living like first world people. and even if it sells the ratio-to population the wii U did in the states, thats still a LOT, and since ninty is already localizing a lot of games for hong kong and taiwan... there is literally no downside.

abronn627 said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
How is China one of the biggest gaming markets if it's a secondary concern for Nintendo?

More importantly how can China be important at all if they're not tracked on VGChartz

China's market was closed to foreign console manufacturers from 2000 to 2015.

I demand IQue products to be tracked.

我觉得中国很人口稠密是人口稠密,可是任天堂不太热门。 (I hope I got that right!)

caffeinade said:
abronn627 said:

China's market was closed to foreign console manufacturers from 2000 to 2015.

I demand IQue products to be tracked.

I wish, but its near impossible.

Around the Network
hunter_alien said:
Miyamotoo said:

Times change, neither Wii and neither PS3 were relased in China, China like market is much more open today than 5-10 years ago, and Nintendo games (that usually don't have blood and big violence) would be good fit for China market. I dont say that Switch in China will be big, butdefinatly could be at least doing OK.

They can release Switch in China, and remain stable sales in US and increase sales in Europe.

Im sorry but I am with Mummelman on this one. China is relevant and will remain so for the forseeable future, when it comes down to console game. They can release the hadrware, but they will never get the software flow going, at least not with the curent laws in place. Im not saying that it cant do a million LT in China, its just pretty much peanuts when it will come down to the rest of the world.

But he is wrong, console ban on consoles in China was just recently lifted, so actually consoles couldn't sell at all before in China, soconsoles in China can actualy start selling, and Nintendo with their hybrid Switch concept (similar like Japan, mobile games dominate in China) and their IPs, would have good chance in selling Switch in China, we talking about oficaly release of Switch in China market offcourse. PS4 was also officially released in China, but of course because reasons I mention Switch could have much better sales than PS4.

Is arena of Valor on any other consoles?

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Mummelmann said:
They said the very same thing about the Wii and the PS3 in their day; China (and to a lesser extent, India) would be a major factor in global sales. This never happened, of course.
China is irrelevant, they're better off going for it even more in Japan, remain stable in the North American market and increase their sales in Europe instead.

This was because the Chinese market was closed to home consoles until 2015, not because the video game industry there was 'irrevalent.'

Video game revenue in China is now the largest in the world(and still growing quickly, unlike US and Japan) at $27 billion/year(compared to $25 billion for US and $12 billion for Japan), its just that this revenue is mostly directed to mobile and PC games instead.

Mar1217 said:
I wouldn't be surprised if Splatoon 2 would end up being the best seller game there too like in Japan xD

Squids sell.
This should be well known by now.

Promoting the Switch in China could be a bit of an uphill struggle given the entrenchment of mobile/PC games... but on the other hand there is the potential for Nintendo to take advantage of the popularity of mobile games in China with the Switch's portability.
Copyright/IP protection could also be a problem(especially given how protective Nintendo is with their IPs) due to poor awareness and enforcement of copyright laws...