By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Is violence becoming more socially acceptable than "offensive words"?

Ka-pi96 said:

Definitely agree that censorship focuses too much on sex/words than violence though. How anyone can argue that it's worse for a kid to see a pair of boobs than a fight is beyond me.

Eh, I could certainly argue that unless you're living in a particularly dangerous neighborhood, sex is a whole lot more likely to send your life into turmoil than violence.  At least as long as you consider sexual assault and rape to be one both at once.

Around the Network

Immorality is becoming acceptable... period.

Remember guys, the most effective protest is one held in one's own basement.

AlfredoTurkey said:

Good thing morality is mostly subjective. 

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Azuren said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

If a person's goal is to be immoral, sure. Goal post shifting is as old as the hills. 

Around the Network
Azuren said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Agreed.

Pretty sure I said something like this in the original thread on the suicide, but being a manipulative bitch isn't illegal. Suicide isn't illegal (or at least shouldn't be in places where it is). Assisted suicide shouldn't be illegal. Ethically wrong, yes. But I don't think there should be anything legally wrong with that... and if there is then I think those laws need changing!

I feel if someone backs down multiple times, that they're not suicidal. They're calling out for help.

If you think about it like "he had a mental illness"...

Let's say there's a woman who hates her husband and hides his heart medicine.  He can't find it and then he has a fatal heart attack. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Final-Fan said:
Azuren said:

I feel if someone backs down multiple times, that they're not suicidal. They're calling out for help.

If you think about it like "he had a mental illness"...

Let's say there's a woman who hates her husband and hides his heart medicine.  He can't find it and then he has a fatal heart attack. 

Murder. She had a full enough understanding of his situation to know that hiding his medicine would be adverse to his health.

AlfredoTurkey said:
Azuren said:

If a person's goal is to be immoral, sure. Goal post shifting is as old as the hills. 

Goal post shifting? How so? At what point did I change any goals to the conversation? Because last I checked, what I said simply underlines a key fault in the statement you made.

Oh, is it that you just associate goal post shifting with anything someone says that doesn't line up with what you say? Because if that's the case, bravo.

And by the way, here's an example of moving the goal posts:

Employer: Sorry, but you need a degree to work here.

Prospective Employee: I have one.

Employer: You also need three years of experience.

PE: Have that, too.

Employer: Four years.

The short version: In many ways, certainly.

The long version: While is obviously more complex than this and I don't think most people REALLY believe this in the litteral sense - it certainly seems like mean/possibly offensive words or speech get FAR more hype and the people who speak then FAR more demonized than actual violence or damaging actions such as war. I mean, just look at the Trump vs Hillary election. Trump and Hillary are at the very least on equal footing of bad/corrupt when it comes to presidential candidates - yet Trump was portrayed in the media, entertainment, & academia as the devil and "litterally hitler" because he's "a big meanie head" while Hillary was portrayed by some as some sort of Mother Theresa or at least "good enough" despite being very warmongering and quite corrupt.

You've also got a certain contingent of dolts (usually at the college level) that actually feel violent protest is more defendable and even celebrated than a conservative or libertarian speaker coming to speak at a university for a couple hours. It's quite absurd really and it's getting to a disturbing level. I mean, UC Berkley recently had to put up barricades and $600k in security funds had to be raised in order to protect people during a freakin BEN SHAPIRO speech. This guy is the defenition of a tame, moderate conservative/ libertarian who's speech thesis essentially revolved around "treat people as equals/individuals, and strive for greatness in the US." So yes, absolutely something is very wrong...

Though, in a culture that's utterly saturated with violent entertainment and people brawling in dumb reality shows while society is simultaneously getting increasingly sensitive and further lost in ideological echo chambers.. I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised. Not that I'm one of those "violent games cause violence in real life!" loons (far from it), but I do feel the constant bombardment of violence in entertainment and ESPECIALLY the media largely makes us feel as if this is the norm and somewhat desensitises us to it.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Please name a single instance in human history where violence was less acceptable than words. Because that never happened.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.