By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Destiny 2 delivers the biggest console game launch week of the year

Zekkyou said:
Nuvendil said:

Gott a love dat spin. Notice they never once said it was the biggest launch of the year or sold more than the first game.  Its all prefaced or followed by qualifiers with vague meanings.

They did? "as the #1 console gaming launch week of the year to date". I guess they did preface it with "console", but i'm not aware of any PC games having thus far claimed that spot (though correct me if I've just missed it.

My point was with Destiny they straight up said they're game had the best launch of any game that year and so on.  Very clear cut stuff.

Here it's all wrapped in qualifiers.  Do they mean biggest in concurrent engagement?  Biggest on all consoles?  Just PS4?  I just find it funny that they can never just say, "our game sold really, really well!"  No, that would never do.  They gotta make every launch sound like some peerless achievement.  It reminds me of some of the non-statistic records that get brought up in arguments over which athlete is the greatest.  Like, most 3 pointers made in a ten game span by a point guard.  Or most winners per game in the quarterfinals of Masters 1000 tournaments across two years.  Stuff like that.

Around the Network
Nuvendil said:
Zekkyou said:

They did? "as the #1 console gaming launch week of the year to date". I guess they did preface it with "console", but i'm not aware of any PC games having thus far claimed that spot (though correct me if I've just missed it.

My point was with Destiny they straight up said they're game had the best launch of any game that year and so on.  Very clear cut stuff.

Here it's all wrapped in qualifiers.  Do they mean biggest in concurrent engagement?  Biggest on all consoles?  Just PS4?  I just find it funny that they can never just say, "our game sold really, really well!"  No, that would never do.  They gotta make every launch sound like some peerless achievement.  It reminds me of some of the non-statistic records that get brought up in arguments over which athlete is the greatest.  Like, most 3 pointers made in a ten game span by a point guard.  Or most winners per game in the quarterfinals of Masters 1000 tournaments across two years.  Stuff like that.

I don't disagree that they're spinning faster than a jet powered merry go round, but i think that's mostly just to hide it being a smaller launch that hoped. Destiny was pitched as a decade spanning mega-IP; anything less than growth at this stage is disappointing.

Zekkyou said:
Nuvendil said:

I don't disagree that they're spinning faster than a jet powered merry go round, but i think that's mostly just to hide it being a smaller launch that hoped. Destiny was pitched as a decade spanning mega-IP; anything less than growth at this stage is disappointing.

It was obvious a couple of days ago when they channeled their inner MS PR persona, with a first statement talking about participation numbers .

Still the lower sales shouldn't surprise anyone who played or followed the original game, the negativity surounding a game hyped to the heavens from a combination of  the developer being bungie of Halo fame and the interest that generated in destiny, all of which you can't really  blame them for, but the same can't be said for the billion dollar investment tag and ten year development cycle that subsequently fueled the hyperbole.

What I got out of playing Destiny and the dlc , was a game that gave me ups followed by downs pretty much through the whole game, including the dlc , the mechanics where good for me any way, but dispite being disjointed and repetitive it had just enough hook to keep me coming back then leave to the next addition  but  I can see why a lot of people wouldn't  return.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Flilix said:
Huh? I thought its sales were a lot lower than the first game?

its digital they talk about

Article clearly states destiny 2 surpassed D1 engagement and digital sales for launch week.....

This game is clearly digitally biased, not surprising considering year after year the digital share for a game's sales is increasing......

mM
Around the Network
leo-j said:
Article clearly states destiny 2 surpassed D1 engagement and digital sales for launch week.....

This game is clearly digitally biased, not surprising considering year after year the digital share for a game's sales is increasing......

Engagement and digital sales =/= total sales. If all games are experiencing more digital sales per year as part of the total sales, then Destiny 2 beating out the first game's digital sales isn't really important. 

Hey guys, we didn't outsell Destiny 1 overall, but we *did* sell more digital copies than D1! Oh ok cool, so if we just throw in qualifiers to all out sentences they'll be technically correct! 

Not outselling Destiny isn't a bad thing. People forget how successful Destiny is and how popular it still is.

Anyways, FIFA 18 will release soon and will easily outsell Destiny 2.

I think with the 1.3m concurrent players it's safe to say sales were at least 1.7m, which would be a big drop from the first game, but still decent.

Interesting that they wrote "engagement" and "digital sales" but gave no numbers. Sounds like when Halo 5 underperformed and MS tried to skew the sales without giving any actual numbers.