By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Article: Nintendo Has Won 2017

Teriol said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
From a first party standpoint? Absolutely! From a library standpoint? It's a bit harder to tell. I've really only spent excessive time with Zelda, Horizon, and Sonic Mania this year.

The PS4 exclusives this year are amazing. Yakuza 0 + Kiwami(state-wise), Gravity Rush 2, Ni-oh, Horizon:Zero Dawn, Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy, for people who like Uncharted you have Lost Legacy, and even though they're on other platforms I guess you could count Persona and Nier. I'd at least count Persona.

By comparison Switch exclusives are Zelda, Arms, Splatoon 2, Kingdom Battle, FE Warriors, Super Mario Odyssey, and Xenoblade 2

I can't compare them from personal experience, but it's definitely up to debate

As for sales ... meh. PS4 will outsell Switch this year.

Why does this post look like it's a copy paste article? Dat formatting

I want to play all of the exclusives and compare them, but there's just so many!

Probably, but that's only because NS debut on march while sony's year was on january 1, but 4 months out of 6 the NS has been on the market won sales wise to the ps4 on USA and in japan all 6 months has won the sales war to the ps4.

Rigth now the NS is the hot platform to get, and it will only get bigger with the games are coming, yeah nintendo won 2017.

https://venturebeat.com/2017/09/14/nintendo-switch-outsold-xbox-one-and-playstation-4-again-in-august/

I know. That wasnt a stab at the Swtch.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Not really, 2014 was awesome

Yes... Thats a while ago.

3 years? And 2015 wasn't great but it had Splatoon, Mario Maker and Xenoblade Chronicles X ...

Goodnightmoon said:
KLXVER said:

Yes... Thats a while ago.

3 years? And 2015 wasn't great but it had Splatoon, Mario Maker and Xenoblade Chronicles X ...

Every year should be great, so yes. Its been a while.

Goodnightmoon said:
Lawlight said:

So, why do more Sony games win GOTY awards then?

Because some think colorful games for all ages cannot be goty, similar to why Pixar or Ghibli never gets an Oscar for best movie. This year will be different though.

So a game can't be GOTY because of this, but can be the scores and claims on the review of best game on history? What reviewer would claim this?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Because some think colorful games for all ages cannot be goty, similar to why Pixar or Ghibli never gets an Oscar for best movie. This year will be different though.

So a game can't be GOTY because of this, but can be the scores and claims on the review of best game on history? What reviewer would claim this?

I'm not the one you are having this discussion with, but now that we talk about it, there has been many animation movies with way better scores and reviews than those winning the oscars/golden globes etc and with time many of this movies appear among the best of its decade/century above the ones that actually won those "serious" prizes, there is a bias about what is supposed to get this kind of prizes, it happens in videogames too.

Around the Network
Goodnightmoon said:
DonFerrari said:

I'm not the one you are having this discussion with, but now that we talk about it, there has been many animation movies with way better scores and reviews than those winning the oscars/golden globes etc and with time many of this movies appear among the best of its decade/century above the ones that actually won those "serious" prizes, there is a bias about what is supposed to get this kind of prizes, it happens in videogames too.

Sony has more games awarded GOTY than Nintendo...? I dont think they do tbh.

KLXVER said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Sony has more games awarded GOTY than Nintendo...? I dont think they do tbh.

I think when Lawlight said that he was also refering to multiplats that appear on PS

Goodnightmoon said:
DonFerrari said:

There may be a bias.

But the main reason isn't really "cartoony games can't be GOTY" it's more like "we will review this game differently (not as strict on IQ or graphical prowess department) because it's cartoony" in a way that even if it get a higher score it really isn't better than a game that got a smaller score.

Similar to animation, the criterea for evaluation is different, so perhaps one or another animation one day will receive the oscar as the best movie, maybe a foreign movie will also make it one day.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Ariakon said:

I agree that Nintendo is having a great year, but Sony is also having a ridiculously good year, and the ps4 has provided more games that I'm interested in this year, including my personal favorite (so far), Horizon. So, I disagree, though I'm glad to own both a ps4 and a Switch. 

Yeah I have to agree, this is a year (like most years) where it's really hard to say that one is better than the other. I would consider myself a Nintendo fan first and foremost, but the PS4 library is getting quite good ... I even bought a PS4 Slim almost a year ago for a few games and recently got Horizon too (sooooo good!). Having said that, Nintendo's sudden rise in quality/breadth after the Wii U days is super impressive and is deservedly getting lots of attention too.

guiduc said:
setsunatenshi said:

Scores are objective now?

His opinion of Sony having higher quality exclusives is then invalid because you think Zelda and Mario Odyssey (not even released yet) are better?

you can't make this shit up xD

''An argument from authority, also called an appeal to authority, is a form of defeasible[4] argument in which a claimed authority's support is used as evidence for an argument's conclusion. It is well known as a fallacy, though if all parties agrees on the reliability of an authority in the given context it forms a valid inductive argument.''

A score isn't objective in itself. Though, it is a legitimate force in argumentation when an aggregate score is used in order to make a point. That way, no matter if the reliability of a source is questioned, you can't question the relevance of all critics.

So yeah, it's the closest thing you can have to objectivity.

I would suggest the reason why the argument from authority fallacy still stands is because none of the people reviewing those games are an actual authority on videogames.

As it was mentioned by other users, metacritic is a measured average of scores. Not all reviewers are given the same weight. A big website like IGN or Gamespot will have their score weight a lot more than other smaller/less known websites.

So we go back to the main point i was trying to make... a videogame review is by its own nature subjective. Scores are even more subjective (as in, they depend on the subject's own value judgement).

So he's right that zelda is a pretty good game, but he has no objective leg to stand on claiming it's better or worse than horizon.

Even more ridiculous is asserting that the new mario game, that wasnt even released yet, is also objectively better than game x or y that is out now. That is just absurd and funny enough makes quite transparent how biased his opinion is on this subject.