By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Article: Nintendo Has Won 2017

Miyamotoo said:
Pinkie_pie said:
Sony beat nintendo this year exclusives and 3rd party games

Eh how many games Sony released until now with metascore that are above 90? Dont forget that Mario Odyssey is almost certain 90+ game also.

Your comment remind me of this:

"Why are we counting games with a meta score under 90? When comparing great years we're really only comparing great games and 80-89 is pretty mediocre and not relevant. The best way to compare years is as follows:

Add up the metacritic score of every game that scored over 90 in a given year. Compare the totals and you'll have the best year in gaming."

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8557619

Easily Top 10 of the silliest things i've read on VgChartz.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Goodnightmoon said:

I'm not the one you are having this discussion with, but now that we talk about it, there has been many animation movies with way better scores and reviews than those winning the oscars/golden globes etc and with time many of this movies appear among the best of its decade/century above the ones that actually won those "serious" prizes, there is a bias about what is supposed to get this kind of prizes, it happens in videogames too.

There may be a bias.

But the main reason isn't really "cartoony games can't be GOTY" it's more like "we will review this game differently (not as strict on IQ or graphical prowess department) because it's cartoony" in a way that even if it get a higher score it really isn't better than a game that got a smaller score.

Similar to animation, the criterea for evaluation is different, so perhaps one or another animation one day will receive the oscar as the best movie, maybe a foreign movie will also make it one day.

I don't think the criteria for evaluation is different at all, if the game is good then is good, but when it comes to give a "serious" prize some might be concerned with the fact that people may not take them seriously if they give a prize for what the general public sees as a game for kids, even if the game is made for all ages. Just an exemple, Princess Mononoke was selected by Japan to be in the Oscars, the Oscars judges didn't even think about it, despite the excellent reviews everywhere it got zero nominations, what would have happened if that movie won? A japanese animation movie about spirits and stuff winning the Oscar over some serious american drama with famous actors? Nobody would have take that seriously, nobody, but now that movie is widely considered one of the best ever made by tons of serious critics.

Goodnightmoon said:
KLXVER said:
About time they had a great year. Its been a while.

Not really, 2014 was awesome

3+ Years is like...a lot, tho.

I agree with KLXVER, it's been a while.

Im glad Nintendo is getting their shit together, if this keeps going by 2018 i will gladly buy a Switch AND that sexy Red Pro Controller

kazuyamishima said:

Like half of those games on the list for switch are coming/already on Ps4.

You forgot to mention gran turismo sport, dead rising 4, marvel vs capcom infinite, dynasty warriors versus, road rage, AC origins, Need For Speed Payback, The Sims 4, And Okami.

You have to remember that some big guns like god of war or the last of us hasn't released yet.

in what switch has won? Sales?

in all fairness those are mostly third party games that are available on either Xbox or PC as well. Why brag about AC Origins or Dynasty Warriors or Dead Rising 4 when you can play them on multiple other platforms? I'm not sure that really counts has a huge draw per say. Good, sure, but not a specific reason why PS4 is better. Certainly the late stage of this year doesn't really contain a ton of PS4 exclusives over the Xbox One

Goodnightmoon said:
DonFerrari said:

So a game can't be GOTY because of this, but can be the scores and claims on the review of best game on history? What reviewer would claim this?

I'm not the one you are having this discussion with, but now that we talk about it, there has been many animation movies with way better scores and reviews than those winning the oscars/golden globes etc and with time many of this movies appear among the best of its decade/century above the ones that actually won those "serious" prizes, there is a bias about what is supposed to get this kind of prizes, it happens in videogames too.

You know the people who decide the award winners aren't the professional critics that review them right? It's like they might have different opinions than the critics, since none of this is actually objective.

Around the Network
setsunatenshi said:
guiduc said:

''An argument from authority, also called an appeal to authority, is a form of defeasible[4] argument in which a claimed authority's support is used as evidence for an argument's conclusion. It is well known as a fallacy, though if all parties agrees on the reliability of an authority in the given context it forms a valid inductive argument.''

A score isn't objective in itself. Though, it is a legitimate force in argumentation when an aggregate score is used in order to make a point. That way, no matter if the reliability of a source is questioned, you can't question the relevance of all critics.

So yeah, it's the closest thing you can have to objectivity.

I would suggest the reason why the argument from authority fallacy still stands is because none of the people reviewing those games are an actual authority on videogames.

As it was mentioned by other users, metacritic is a measured average of scores. Not all reviewers are given the same weight. A big website like IGN or Gamespot will have their score weight a lot more than other smaller/less known websites.

So we go back to the main point i was trying to make... a videogame review is by its own nature subjective. Scores are even more subjective (as in, they depend on the subject's own value judgement).

So he's right that zelda is a pretty good game, but he has no objective leg to stand on claiming it's better or worse than horizon.

Even more ridiculous is asserting that the new mario game, that wasnt even released yet, is also objectively better than game x or y that is out now. That is just absurd and funny enough makes quite transparent how biased his opinion is on this subject.

It's hard to people to distinct between "I preffer A to B" against "A is objectivelly better than B". Even if 100 people gives the grammy of music to some brazilian singer that doesn't mean he is better than all the others at the time.

Cumulative opinions isn't truth.

Was Pele better than Maradona? Quite possibly, critics and numbers agree, but since they would have direct competitions. Is Federer better than Sampras/Agassi? Possibly, numbers are in Federer and he is more complete. But that also have more than 20 years of sport evolution to buff him. So would they when fighting of at their prime be similar or one would be better? You have that in every single sport. The only part of sport you can have some discussion is the numbers (it is impossible to deny Bolt have the record on 100m, but would any of the previous record holders beat him with same technology and knowledge? maybe).

Even on the most "objective" comparison subjectivism still show, but them some people try to make subjectivism look objective only for discussion sake.

Goodnightmoon said:
DonFerrari said:

There may be a bias.

But the main reason isn't really "cartoony games can't be GOTY" it's more like "we will review this game differently (not as strict on IQ or graphical prowess department) because it's cartoony" in a way that even if it get a higher score it really isn't better than a game that got a smaller score.

Similar to animation, the criterea for evaluation is different, so perhaps one or another animation one day will receive the oscar as the best movie, maybe a foreign movie will also make it one day.

I don't think the criteria for evaluation is different at all, if the game is good then is good, but when it comes to give a "serious" prize some might be concerned with the fact that people may not take them seriously if they give a prize for what the general public sees as a game for kids, even if the game is made for all ages. Just an exemple, Princess Mononoke was selected by Japan to be in the Oscars, the Oscars judges didn't even think about it, despite the excellent reviews everywhere it got zero nominations, what would have happened if that movie won? A japanese animation movie about spirits and stuff winning the Oscar over some serious american drama with famous actors? Nobody would have take that seriously, nobody, but now that movie is widely considered one of the best ever made by tons of serious critics.

BOPE-Tropa de Elite, a Brazilian movie was regarded by many as one of the best movies of the year in about all aspects (WW), yet it didn't win any Oscar (it didn't tried the foreign category because that would take it out of all the others). Does that mean it was prejudice against a Brazilian movie? Possibly, but there is no way to prove it, same with your example. And sorry, I watched Pricess Mononoke and other Ghibli work and even though they are fantastic there is no way to say they deserved the best movie of the year beyond all resonable doubt.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

mountaindewslave said:
kazuyamishima said:

Like half of those games on the list for switch are coming/already on Ps4.

You forgot to mention gran turismo sport, dead rising 4, marvel vs capcom infinite, dynasty warriors versus, road rage, AC origins, Need For Speed Payback, The Sims 4, And Okami.

You have to remember that some big guns like god of war or the last of us hasn't released yet.

in what switch has won? Sales?

in all fairness those are mostly third party games that are available on either Xbox or PC as well. Why brag about AC Origins or Dynasty Warriors or Dead Rising 4 when you can play them on multiple other platforms? I'm not sure that really counts has a huge draw per say. Good, sure, but not a specific reason why PS4 is better. Certainly the late stage of this year doesn't really contain a ton of PS4 exclusives over the Xbox One

It counts in the way that you can't play them on Switch and that people preffer to play they on PS4. You know you are allowed to play multiplats on the system right? So when talking about the better environment, everything in it counts.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

setsunatenshi said:
guiduc said:

''An argument from authority, also called an appeal to authority, is a form of defeasible[4] argument in which a claimed authority's support is used as evidence for an argument's conclusion. It is well known as a fallacy, though if all parties agrees on the reliability of an authority in the given context it forms a valid inductive argument.''

A score isn't objective in itself. Though, it is a legitimate force in argumentation when an aggregate score is used in order to make a point. That way, no matter if the reliability of a source is questioned, you can't question the relevance of all critics.

So yeah, it's the closest thing you can have to objectivity.

I would suggest the reason why the argument from authority fallacy still stands is because none of the people reviewing those games are an actual authority on videogames.

As it was mentioned by other users, metacritic is a measured average of scores. Not all reviewers are given the same weight. A big website like IGN or Gamespot will have their score weight a lot more than other smaller/less known websites.

So we go back to the main point i was trying to make... a videogame review is by its own nature subjective. Scores are even more subjective (as in, they depend on the subject's own value judgement).

So he's right that zelda is a pretty good game, but he has no objective leg to stand on claiming it's better or worse than horizon.

Even more ridiculous is asserting that the new mario game, that wasnt even released yet, is also objectively better than game x or y that is out now. That is just absurd and funny enough makes quite transparent how biased his opinion is on this subject.

For the sake of demonstration, would you care to point out what would be an ''objective leg'' regarding this very case?

guiduc said:
setsunatenshi said:

For the sake of demonstration, would you care to point out what would be an ''objective leg'' regarding this very case?

I can answer that. By "objective leg to stand on" he means, you can't use objectivity to claim that Breath of the Wild is better than Horizon. Any examples you give will be subjective.

potato_hamster said:
guiduc said:

I can answer that. By "objective leg to stand on" he means, you can't use objectivity to claim that Breath of the Wild is better than Horizon. Any examples you give will be subjective.

I'm asking for an example still. Like, what would be an objective leg in this case? Are you all telling me that in no way, we can determine if Horizon is better than Zelda and vice versa, objectively? So, there is no such thing as objectivity here?