By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Doom and Wolfenstein II The New Colossus coming to Switch

This news is bigger than just these to games comi g to the Switch. It sends a big message to other developers that you can release all the new games on this wonderful machine. I will likely get both games, even though I have Doom already.

Around the Network

NATO said:

i remember, not all that long ago, a cerftain other console getting crazy hate for being heavy on ports and remasters, now the shoes on the other foot it's considered a good thing, funny how that works.

False equivalency. 

considering how other first person shooters fare on that platform Nintendo consoles, the real question is; Will nintendo fans buy them?

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
deskpro2k3 said:
considering how other first person shooters fare on that platform, the real question is; Will nintendo fans buy them?

What other first person shooters are there on Switch?

Around the Network

NATO said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

False equivalency. 

Exact equivalence, just clearly hitting a nerve.

Why would you just assume that you're "hitting a nerve"? 

It's not exact equivalence. The Switch is getting ports of current gen games. It is not the same as Playstation 3 or Xbox 360 games being ported over to the Xbox One and Playstation 4 to make their libraries look more impressive, which to be clear is what they were getting hate for, because these games are still current generation titles and are still relevent. It's a false equivalence to say that Doom coming to the Switch is like an old game being ported to a new platform to bolster it's library, cause the game isn't old.

My stance on ports has been consistent. I got a Wii U because it was the console delivering actually truely new experiences, and I loved it. When I see the same Nintendo fans that were making fun of the PS4 because it was the "portstation 4" excuse ports like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Pokken Tournament, or mediocre sequels like Splatoon 2 .. it definitely enrages me.

Doom is not even close to that scenario though.

NATO said:

False equivalency. 

Exact equivalence

"Exact" doesn't mean what you think it means, I suppose.

Doom and Wolfenstein II are both current generation games releasing/released on current generation platforms, not last-generation remasters/ports. Many people haven't gotten a chance to play Doom yet, and nobody has played Wolfenstein II yet. There are new exclusive titles releasing alongside them which makes the argument "only ports" not based on fact. And the platform has a form-factor which makes buying old ports enticing for those who like to play games on the go. 

In comparison people were annoyed that PS4/XBO multiplats were being hindered by last-generation versions, and that no high-profile exclusives (equivalent to say Mario Odyssey or Xenoblade Chronicles 2 ) were going to release for a while. The closest things on PS4 was Killzone Shadowfall or Infamous, both games which weren't setting metacritic on fire. Furthermore, their predecessors were popular which meant that more people likely played the original versions (as opposed to the few people who owned Wii U's.) 

The thing that annoyed people wasn't that there were ports, but that the ports were a tradeoff for new titles or inhibited the potential of multiplatform games, neither of which is the case with the Switch. So no, not "exact" equivalence. 

NATO said:

Why would you just assume that you're "hitting a nerve"? 

It's not exact equivalence. The Switch is getting ports of current gen games. It is not the same as Playstation 3 or Xbox 360 games being ported over to the Xbox One and Playstation 4 to make their libraries look more impressive, which to be clear is what they were getting hate for, because these games are still current generation titles and are still relevent. It's a false equivalence to say that Doom coming to the Switch is like an old game being ported to a new platform to bolster it's library, cause the game isn't old.

My stance on ports has been consistent. I got a Wii U because it was the console delivering actually truely new experiences, and I loved it. When I see the same Nintendo fans that were making fun of the PS4 because it was the "portstation 4" excuse ports like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Pokken Tournament, or mediocre sequels like Splatoon 2 .. it definitely enrages me.

Doom is not even close to that scenario though.

So the reason you believe it's not the same is because Doom and The New Colossus are still new and relevant titles?, let me show you something:

The last of us : June 14th 2013
The last of us remastered : July 29, 2014
Time between releases: 1 year 1 month

GTAV (ps3) : September 17th, 2013
GTAV (ps4) : November 18th, 2014
Time between releases: 1 year 2 month

Tomb Raider (ps3): March 5th, 2013
Tomb Raider (pa4) January 28th, 2014
Time between releases: 10 and a half months.

So the three most commonly alluded to when moaning about ports, were actually more relevant than doom at the time of launch, because:

Doom : May 13, 2016
Doom (Switch) : Not released yet
Time between releases: 1 year 4 months and counting

Now, to be clear, I'm not saying ports are a bad thing, but the only thing you can really say is different in these instances is, that they were same-manufacturer, as in xbox 360 to xbox one, ps3 to ps4, but in most cases that was down to them being multiplat titles, but given the time frames involved, many were still highly relevant titles, and a significant amount of the beef people had was it was exactly because they were recent titles being ported over from older platforms.

That's no different for the switch, they're recent titles being ported over from older platforms.

Right .. so dates are more important than the aligned generation or the specs relative to the standard version of the game... ok.. stretching that point...