By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Pewdiepie Drops the N word on a Livestream

VGPolyglot said:

Less Nazism is a good thing. Of course, this all started from a hypothetical in the first place.

I agree with you on that but censorship would do even more harm.

I am throwing a curve ball but for instance the censorship that North Korea presents to its citizens does far more harm than Nazism does in the entire world at this point

I guess the real question is if Pewdiepie did turn his channel based on Nazism what would you want done about it? Also we are not on opposite sides about the material I just beleive we are on opposite sides about how to handle it. Just want your perspecitve 

Around the Network
rolltide101x said:
VGPolyglot said:

Less Nazism is a good thing. Of course, this all started from a hypothetical in the first place.

I agree with you on that but censorship would do even more harm.

I am throwing a curve ball but for instance the censorship that North Korea presents to its citizens does far more harm than Nazism does in the entire world at this point

I guess the real question is if Pewdiepie did turn his channel based on Nazism what would you want done about it? Also we are not on opposite sides about the material I just beleive we are on opposite sides about how to handle it. Just want your perspecitve 

I believe that letting Nazism spread and fester is a very dangerous situation. Obviously I don't own Google so I can't do much other than protest and criticize his views.

The N-word is a tricky issue, and although I do think Pewdiepie was wrong to say it in the way he did, saying anyone who uses the n-word ever is racist is ridiculous.

Many like myself came of age at the start of the millennium, a time when west coast hip hop was huge. In 2001, Dr Dre put out the 2001 album which was a cultural milestone. This was the era of rock-rap and both sides of these styles of music bled into each other.

Music then was filled was rappers saying the N-word, and as this style was so big, the word bled over into mainstream culture and the meaning changed for many, but not all.

Here is the problem. So a lot of people, "what's up my n***a" became a greeting. Like seen in the Simon Pegg classic; Shawn of the dead (the phrase was said by nick frosts character to Simon Peggs character).

This at the time was acceptable because that was the direction the word had taken then, this is not the same now. However pretty much every teenager in 2001 is now older and it's acceptably has stuck.

With both the younger and older generations the n-word retains the original offence, but that generation in between is different.

Sony want to make money by selling art, Nintendo want to make money by selling fun, Microsoft want to make money.

rolltide101x said:
VGPolyglot said:

With thinking like that, nothing will ever improve.

What do you want to be improved? Better censorship? 

Everyone has a right to their views and to say what ever they want to say. 

Having a right to it doesn't mean free of consequence and that's something a number of people fail to understand when arguing free speech and views, Jim Sterling said it best today when people like Pewdie Pie find themselves in this situation after having previously made jokes about the Holocaust the result can be wide felt consequences and you may find Youtube in future censors videos as a result because advertisers aren't happy over such situations and they're who provides Youtube with the bulk of its money.

Chrizum said:
TopCat8 said:

I'm not sure of your point here...

Not trying to bust your balls or anything. I just don't think it's fair to claim black people are X or Y. Or white people, asians, martians, whatever. Saying n*gga can be thoroughly offensive, it can be a joke, it can be anything depending on context. I know black people that don't find it offensive at all (using it themselves occasionally).

I can understand people to be offended by it if it's directed at someone. Being offended by some dude swearing at a videogame? Well you're gonna have a bad time all the time if that's what gets you riled up (not directed specifically at you).

None of my posts singled out Black people or any other race...yours did...over and over again. I also totally agree with the last bolded statement. Anyone can say whatever they want, and shouldn't be censored or punished for it. Like I said before, ignorant or racist people (and their defenders) make me feel better about myself as a human being.

Add me on Xbox Live: TopCat8

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
rolltide101x said:

What do you want to be improved? Better censorship? 

Everyone has a right to their views and to say what ever they want to say. 

Having a right to it doesn't mean free of consequence and that's something a number of people fail to understand when arguing free speech and views, Jim Sterling said it best today when people like Pewdie Pie find themselves in this situation after having previously made jokes about the Holocaust the result can be wide felt consequences and you may find Youtube in future censors videos as a result because advertisers aren't happy over such situations and they're who provides Youtube with the bulk of its money.

This I agree with fully. If you choose to use freedom of speech and expression there are absolutely consequences to be had. I am more or less stating that he has the freedom to do and say what he wants (within the confines of the services rules anyway). But in my opinion the correct response is not to try and block what is said but choose to move on to different entertainers. Censorship is very dangerous

(Also just so you know we were on a hypothetical about Nazism not what was actually said)

I am of the opinion that the "N" word is not proper for anyone to use. I already could not stand Pewdiepie this just makes me not like him even more. I swear I do not see what the appeal of watching streamers is to begin with

VGPolyglot said:

I believe that letting Nazism spread and fester is a very dangerous situation. Obviously I don't own Google so I can't do much other than protest and criticize his views.

If you did own Google and had the power what would your response be?

This is just how I see things if we try and block views where do we draw the line? Letting any sort of censorship take hold is a very dangerous situation I obviously through and extreme example in North Korea but censorship is taking more and more of a hold in some countries and I do not find it right because who decides what is okay to say and what is not okay to say? Reminds me of the old Hatred debate, the people griping and wanting it not to be on Steam to more or less censor is right to exist gave that game so much more publicity than it otherwise would have ever gotten and in fact more than likely made the game sell better

rolltide101x said:
VGPolyglot said:

This is just how I see things if we try and block views where do we draw the line? Letting any sort of censorship take hold is a very dangerous situation I obviously through and extreme example in North Korea but censorship is taking more and more of a hold in some countries and I do not find it right because who decides what is okay to say and what is not okay to say? Reminds me of the old Hatred debate, the people griping and wanting it not to be on Steam to more or less censor is right to exist gave that game so much more publicity than it otherwise would have ever gotten and in fact more than likely made the game sell better

Now, if I did own Google would be opening up a lot more variables, so it's very hard to even answer that. We're adding hypotheticals on top of hypotheticals. Are we talking about what I'd ideally do if I owned Google? Or what would realistically be done?

Xen said:

As to the above, far as I am concerned, most shitty people are inhabiting this thread: some famous dude says "nigger" (probably for publicity), and a bunch of people online are forming into some kind of keyboard-based lynch mob.

That is what concerns you? That is what ticks you off? Move along.

Yeah, it's kind of sad how this is a huge topic when things such as Israeli settlers attacking schools go unnoticed. Or the increase of Americans living in conditions worse than the previous generation.

There are many problems nowadays, and this is a nonexistent issue. Whether he is a racist or not, there is no need for so much attention to it

rolltide101x said:
VGPolyglot said:

Some things shouldn't be on the internet. I wouldn't want a website for pedophiles to have a safe zone, and I wouldn't be fond of any website where people plan attacks on innocent people

SpokenTruth said:
How does a slip up make it any better? It still means he thinks the word. It's part of his mental vocabulary.

Here comes the literal thought police now.