Forums - General Discussion - Pewdiepie Drops the N word on a Livestream

Soundwave said:
Azuren said:

I quite simply don't believe you. Argue all you want- I'm not buying it.

With a hard "er", nope. It's not like there's any situation where I couldn't possibly not say it. 

Uh huh.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
rolltide101x said:

Not supporting Nazism in any way but it does not matter if you care. He can do whatever he wants within the realms of the streaming services rules. 

WIth this said I can not stand him and you are free to not watch him if he does things you do not like but censorship is wrong. If you do not agree with someone then go somewhere else. 

Ignoring it isn't going to make things better.

It is not your place to make things better. People have a right to what ever opinion they choose to have. It 100% does not matter if we agree with them or not

With this said I do not think it is proper for anyone to use the "N" word. I it does make me dislike him more than I already did (hard to believe) but it is not our place to try and censor him but to move on and if enough people do that then it will die.

rolltide101x said:
VGPolyglot said:

Ignoring it isn't going to make things better.

It is not your place to make things better. People have a right to what ever opinion they choose to have. It 100% does not matter if we agree with them or not

With thinking like that, nothing will ever improve.

VGPolyglot said:

What do you want to be improved? Better censorship? 

Everyone has a right to their views and to say what ever they want to say. 

rolltide101x said:
VGPolyglot said:

Less Nazism is a good thing. Of course, this all started from a hypothetical in the first place.

Around the Network
TopCat8 said:
Chrizum said:

Then I think it's safe to assume that you haven't had much actual interaction with black people playing videogames... (hint: they swear with the N-word all the time).

I'm not sure of your point here...

Not trying to bust your balls or anything. I just don't think it's fair to claim black people are X or Y. Or white people, asians, martians, whatever. Saying n*gga can be thoroughly offensive, it can be a joke, it can be anything depending on context. I know black people that don't find it offensive at all (using it themselves occasionally).

I can understand people to be offended by it if it's directed at someone. Being offended by some dude swearing at a videogame? Well you're gonna have a bad time all the time if that's what gets you riled up (not directed specifically at you).

VGPolyglot said:

Less Nazism is a good thing. Of course, this all started from a hypothetical in the first place.

I agree with you on that but censorship would do even more harm.

I am throwing a curve ball but for instance the censorship that North Korea presents to its citizens does far more harm than Nazism does in the entire world at this point

I guess the real question is if Pewdiepie did turn his channel based on Nazism what would you want done about it? Also we are not on opposite sides about the material I just beleive we are on opposite sides about how to handle it. Just want your perspecitve 

rolltide101x said:
VGPolyglot said:

I agree with you on that but censorship would do even more harm.

I am throwing a curve ball but for instance the censorship that North Korea presents to its citizens does far more harm than Nazism does in the entire world at this point

I guess the real question is if Pewdiepie did turn his channel based on Nazism what would you want done about it? Also we are not on opposite sides about the material I just beleive we are on opposite sides about how to handle it. Just want your perspecitve 

I believe that letting Nazism spread and fester is a very dangerous situation. Obviously I don't own Google so I can't do much other than protest and criticize his views.

The N-word is a tricky issue, and although I do think Pewdiepie was wrong to say it in the way he did, saying anyone who uses the n-word ever is racist is ridiculous.

Many like myself came of age at the start of the millennium, a time when west coast hip hop was huge. In 2001, Dr Dre put out the 2001 album which was a cultural milestone. This was the era of rock-rap and both sides of these styles of music bled into each other.

Music then was filled was rappers saying the N-word, and as this style was so big, the word bled over into mainstream culture and the meaning changed for many, but not all.

Here is the problem. So a lot of people, "what's up my n***a" became a greeting. Like seen in the Simon Pegg classic; Shawn of the dead (the phrase was said by nick frosts character to Simon Peggs character).

This at the time was acceptable because that was the direction the word had taken then, this is not the same now. However pretty much every teenager in 2001 is now older and it's acceptably has stuck.

With both the younger and older generations the n-word retains the original offence, but that generation in between is different.

Sony want to make money by selling art, Nintendo want to make money by selling fun, Microsoft want to make money.

rolltide101x said:
VGPolyglot said:

Having a right to it doesn't mean free of consequence and that's something a number of people fail to understand when arguing free speech and views, Jim Sterling said it best today when people like Pewdie Pie find themselves in this situation after having previously made jokes about the Holocaust the result can be wide felt consequences and you may find Youtube in future censors videos as a result because advertisers aren't happy over such situations and they're who provides Youtube with the bulk of its money.