By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Pewdiepie Drops the N word on a Livestream

Most Africans and African-Americans would be offended by the N-word in this context. An infamous Youtube troll creating more media hype, get more traffic, more views on his channel. We must stop feeding Youtube oxygen thief trolls. Youtube should shut down his channel and other channels that have racist/hate speech. This Youtube guy has made a fortune from being a sociopath, megalomaniac, oxygen thief troll creating drama and controversy by using hate speech to gain more views on his channel. Freedom of speech does not give anyone the right for hate speech.

Around the Network
Azuren said:
TargaryenVers2 said:

I'm not saying it would be a bad thing, but that really shouldn't be a thing decided by anyone except those that the word affects. If black people as a group come out and say that using the n word is now ok, then so be it, otherwise it still will always have those connotations.

If a group of white people said "the n word has no more power, so we're gonna use it whenever we want and you can't do anything about it because it's meaningless," well you can guess how that would turn out

So you wouldn't say PewDiePie is being affected by the word?

The word hurts the feelings of many, but it hurts the livelihood of white people who say it. Just because it isn't directed at White people doesn't mean it can't hurt them. Felix let it slip and immediately apologized, but now it's a second YouTube apocalypse.

Black people don't have a choice being black or getting called it. White people have a choice in whether to use the word or not.

(Formerly RCTjunkie)

TargaryenVers2 said:
Azuren said:

So you wouldn't say PewDiePie is being affected by the word?

The word hurts the feelings of many, but it hurts the livelihood of white people who say it. Just because it isn't directed at White people doesn't mean it can't hurt them. Felix let it slip and immediately apologized, but now it's a second YouTube apocalypse.

Black people don't have a choice being black or getting called it. White people have a choice in whether to use the word or not.

You always have a choice in how you react to things. You give words power by reacting to them, and you strip them of power by not reacting to them. 

The sooner the latter happens, the better.

VGPolyglot said:
o_O.Q said:

suppose the majority of people are corrupt? like they were in nazi germany and the soviet union?

in nazi germany hitler was elected by democratic vote, support for the nazi party was mainstream and the jews were a minority...

that's why things are set up in such a way that the majority can't just override basic fundamental values with votes in places that have a sensible foundation

Hitler wasn't elected by eemocratic vote, Hitler lost the election.

hitler lost initially but was eventually demoncratically elected... if not how did he come to power from your perspective? are you claiming that he claimed power through a coup?

LurkerJ said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

I challenge you to walk onto an (urban) inner city basketball court in any major US city and start calling the black players playing there the N word. I'm sure they'll be happy enough to demonstrate just how totally "inoffenive" it has become.

I am sure those same thugs would demonstrate their displeasure with my existence regardless of what I say.

The N word has become mainstream thanks to black people promoting it to every possible demographic through pop culture. I am pretty sure if I make a list of currently trending songs, a bunch of them will have the N word.

Forget "stop getting offended and stop giving the N word needless powers", how about "stop promoting them if they are that offensive?"

Lol, both of you have somehow found a way to be more offensive than anything PDP said.

Around the Network

i personally find it insulting that people think its helpful to me and other black people to state that we are so weak that we have to let the single utterance of a word nit even directed at us have such a massive emotional impact upon us... its absolutely bizarre

i'd think that if you were trying to help someone, your goal would be to make them as tough and resilient as possible not infantilise them to such a ridiculous point that silly nonsense like this is actually a relevant issue to them

fielding88 said:
TargaryenVers2 said:

You always have a choice in how you react to things. You give words power by reacting to them, and you strip them of power by not reacting to them. 

When I ignored my older brother's insults as a kid, it often escalated to violence or other harsh methods to "other" me. When you try to ignore it, words escalate to violence. If all black people decided to ignore the word, racists people would either find a new slur or escalate to violence or other ways to "other" people. 

(Formerly RCTjunkie)

Azuren said:
TargaryenVers2 said:

6. (bonus) I'm not saying words don't change value or meaning overtime, but do you really want to be the one paving the way to make the word acceptable?

Just real quick:

Why would stripping this word of its negative connotations be a bad thing?

because then people wouldn't be able to take a moral high ground and lord it over others... some people need to find excuses for why other people are "evil" and completely different than they are to stroke their egos

they ironically don't realise that looking for the slightest excuse to isolate and demonise people is the very thing they claim to be fighting against, meaning that they actually become in some instances the very thing they claim to be trying to fight against

o_O.Q said:

hitler lost initially but was eventually demoncratically elected... if not how did he come to power from your perspective? are you claiming that he claimed power through a coup?

That doesn't make any sense ... 

It was Hitler's party (big difference) that was elected. Hitler himself never never won presidency as that title went to Paul von Hidenburg. President Paul von Hidenburg faced pressure from the outside to include Hitler in his cabinet so Hidenburg appointed Hitler as his chancellor ... 

After Ermächtigungsgesetz of 1933, everything went haywire since the German Reichstag thought it was a good idea to give the position chancellor (currently held by Hitler at the time) legislative powers ... 

In short Hitler came into power through appointment and not from democracy ... 

If president Paul von Hidenburg hadn't died of lung cancer and lived until the end of 1937, Ermächtigungsgesetz may have not been renewed and Hitler would've lost his legislative powers and maybe WWII would've been prevented ... 

SpokenTruth said:
fielding88 said:

Then how did the word get power as a insult for PDP to use?  Doesn't that also mean PDP wanted the word to have power?  To have an impact?  Why else would he use it as the worst insult he could think of (as some here have put it)? 

So who is in the wrong here?  The people that feel insulted by it?  Or those who know it is insulting and continue to perpetuate its use?

Are those rhetorical questions? And what does any of that have to do with my statement?