By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - 'Damn, don't be so triggered'

Should I have been harsh?

Yes, he needed it 38 40.86%

No, you should've approached it calmly 32 34.41%

See results 23 24.73%

Total:93

The guy is probably asperges, they are hard to deal with sometimes, he probably doesn't understand what the fuss is about, they are a little disconnected from social reality

Around the Network
Aeolus451 said:
That's not really dark humor. That's more anti-pc or edgy type. You're kinda overreacting to this and have this attitude that his sense of humor is lesser than yours or it's the bad kind. There's no bad kind. It's just different than yours. If you don't like his sense of humor, let me know and be done with it. If he doesn't stop with the jokes then stop hanging out with him. His mistake was not reading your reactions correctly.

The Muslim stuff is sure.  But rape and holocaust?  They are the epitome of dark humor.  

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Aeolus451 said:
That's not really dark humor. That's more anti-pc or edgy type. You're kinda overreacting to this and have this attitude that his sense of humor is lesser than yours or it's the bad kind. There's no bad kind. It's just different than yours. If you don't like his sense of humor, let me know and be done with it. If he doesn't stop with the jokes then stop hanging out with him. His mistake was not reading your reactions correctly.

It's not that i dislike when people have jokes i don't find funny. I don't find Kevin Hart to be hilarious, but I don't mind if I hear his jokes

I also don't have a problem with dark humour, but when he forces it in every conversation (even when I try to have a simple conversation), him believing that randomly blurting out 'ni**er' to me on school campus is funny was enough to piss me off.

He texted me about twenty minutes ago, and I think people have a point. The dude probably does struggle with finding a friend, and I might just continue to put up with him. We're still talking, and he seems to finally be opening up a bit.

I'm not sure if what I did was perfect, but it's allowed me to reach the dude. I'd rather have him be confronted and help him improve than allow him to simply be rejected and see him not change. 

Regardless of what I said to him, I don't believe abandoning him is the smart step. I'm gonna move past what we both did and help him get back on track. 

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

I legit feel bad for the dude. He is probably a lonely person with no friends who only knows how to communicate with jokes because he doesn't have anything interesting about him aside from that. I love dark humor, there have probably even been times where I've inserted jokes into conversations that didn't need them. I think it's fine to be honest with someone and say that the friendship won't work out. But you probably destroyed him. I guess you have to do what's best for you though, god knows bad jokes are the worst. I could be wrong though, since you probably don't know his personal life much. I just know that in High School, I resorted to being a class clown to get any interaction I could. And if I was in college right now I'd probably do the same.

After talking to him I realized that's the case. I suppose I want him to know that no matter how harsh I may be with someone, it's only because I believe they can improve. 

I had to deal with people talking smack about me, and it hurt. If he's willing to start a convo. with me and apologize, then I'm going to help.

Rab said:
The guy is probably asperges, they are hard to deal with sometimes, he probably doesn't understand what the fuss is about, they are a little disconnected from social reality

I'm not sure if he has asperger's, but it's clear he's been through some difficult social experiences that have messed him up. I'm gonna help him and try to help him find friends.

spurgeonryan said:
Punch him. Sometimes it takes that. I have never done so, but it would teach me a lesson.

At the end of the day, the punch wouldn't do much. It'd just remind me that I ran away from a situation.

I'm utilitarian, so I do believe that your action was bad. I don't judge people by actions, though, and you had a right to be disgruntled, perhaps. The morally *good* course of action would be to attempt to let him learn to respect the sensibilities of others while sparing his social vulnerabilities.

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

Around the Network
palou said:
I'm utilitarian, so I do believe that your action was bad. I don't judge people by actions, though, and you had a right to be disgruntled, perhaps. The morally *good* course of action would be to attempt to let him learn to respect the sensibilities of others while sparing his social vulnerabilities.

It definitely was a terrible action, but it was the tipping scale for him to open up and actually go to a person (me) for help.

I don't go and yell at anyone I'm mad at (as said, it's the first time in about 7 years). However, perhaps he needed something to convince him he needed support? 

As of now I promised him I'd teach him how to and how not to tell dark jokes (or humour of any manner), and I am making sure I stay calm from now on. If he had the confidence to ask to be my friend, then I'm gonna be his damn friend.

Is this in real life or online?

Mystro-Sama said:
Is this in real life or online?

Real life. He then texted me recently online.

I gave him my number a few days after meeting him, but we never texted, so it did surprise me when he randomly sent a message

I feel like you overreacted but at the same time that guy sounds super fucking lame, like he sounds like the kind of edge lord that doesn't exist after middle school. I don't think I would have reacted like that but I can understand why and how someone else would

I do feel you could have handled it better, but it does sound like this guy also doesn't act appropriate and someone should explain that to him, that way he doesn't cause issues for other people he tries to befriend.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread