By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What games were you reluctant to play?

Tagged games:

First thread?

I was reluctant to try This War Of Mine.  I thought it sounded pretentious, the "game-play" looked dull, and I normally pass on anything side-scrolling.  However, I kept reading atypical words of praise for it and a Steam sale made me jump.  I ended up loving it and putting a ton of hours into it.

On a related side-scrolling note, I decided to try a Rayman game on Vita.  It also had a bunch of praise and I was thinking that maybe I should give platformers another chance.  I'd grown sick of them years ago but it had been forever since I'd played one.  I ended up remembering all the things I dislike about the genre and quit after a few levels.  At least I now know for sure and no future game will tempt me.

Around the Network

It took a year and a lot of convincing from a friend before I would even attempt Life is Strange. To my surprise I liked it. Unfortunately the marketing for the game absolutely turned me off. The developer displayed a complete lack of respect to the punk rock scene. Turns out that was half the point because Chloe truly is a poser and the game itself doesn't even come close to trying to pretend she isn't. She's truly a despicable person but once you get to see the alternatives your heart really begins to sink and feel for her even though she's a terrible person to her bitter core. Which the game makes a clear point of when you hallucinate the possibilities of her using you and selling you out for her own personal pleasure, which doesn't happen but Maxine obviously felt conflicted about it.

I haven't played Before the Storm yet but I plan to do so once I'm done with a couple other games.

pokoko said:

On a related side-scrolling note, I decided to try a Rayman game on Vita.  It also had a bunch of praise and I was thinking that maybe I should give platformers another chance.  I'd grown sick of them years ago but it had been forever since I'd played one.  I ended up remembering all the things I dislike about the genre and quit after a few levels.  At least I now know for sure and no future game will tempt me.

D : Have you tried stuff like Rayman Legends, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Sonic Mania, or Banjo Kazooie?

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
pokoko said:

D : Have you tried stuff like Rayman Legends, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Sonic Mania, or Banjo Kazooie?

I haven't.  To be honest, I have no interest in any of those.  I feel like I played enough platformers during the NES/SNES eras and I didn't much like them back then, either, it's just that there were so many of them.  They represent a lot of my least favorite gaming designs.

pokoko said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

I haven't.  To be honest, I have no interest in any of those.  I feel like I played enough platformers during the NES/SNES eras and I didn't much like them back then, either, it's just that there were so many of them.  They represent a lot of my least favorite gaming designs.

Fair enough. I'm not trying to convert you To be honest I have some problems with the genre too, but some of the most frustrating aspects can make me all the happier when I accomplish a feat in the game. Still, those are really the only titles I've played in the genre that amazed me. Mario can be quite the bore

Around the Network

Back in the day, Call of Duty. It was the rage but is was an FPS on consoles... FPS don't work on consoles my mind told me. Then I bought CoDMW2 to play with my friend. Okay stopped buying now but the arcade like fun MW2 and BO had is great.

Knowing Activision, they would be a revamp of those and then screw them up.

Hmm, pie.

Pretty much any new video games. I'm kind of stuck in a time warp.

pokoko said:

First thread?

I was reluctant to try This War Of Mine.  I thought it sounded pretentious, the "game-play" looked dull, and I normally pass on anything side-scrolling.  However, I kept reading atypical words of praise for it and a Steam sale made me jump.  I ended up loving it and putting a ton of hours into it.

Thanks for the applause, haha.

I have never heard of This War of Mine. I did a quick Google search, and apparently it is now out on console too. 

I personally enjoy platformers, however, I understand that they do not appeal to everyone. On that note, there tends to be a negative stigma surrounding collectathon video games, yet I find them incredibly satisfying.

Bioshock.

At first I thought it was a no effort System Shock 2 knock off. Bought it a couple of years later when it appeard in the Mac AppStore snd it turned out to be an entertaining game.

God of War. Ever since the initial release in 2005 I only heard good things about that game. Everyone loved it but for some reason, I never really wanted to play it. After all these years I decided to give it a go and good lord, I'm having a blast! Already got through the first game, started God of War 2 right after that. Now I'm gonna play each and every title of the series. It really is just as great as everyone told me. I didn't expect that.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.