By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What games were you reluctant to play?

Tagged games:

Quite a few.

Overwatch: Just not in the mood for competitive team based online lately.

Dark Souls/Demon Souls/Bloodborne: Time is too limited for that kind of frustration

Drive Club: Looks beautiful but early reviews turned me off. Even if it's fixed now, that initial taste is still in my mouth.

Skyrim: Was never a fan of WRPGs when the series began. Now I love them but I've missed you too many games.

Pokemon: I missed the initial phenomenon and now it's too much for me to jump on now.

Aside from these series (which I still haven't played) I'm pretty open minded to anything. My game library spans pretty much every console and ever genre. Quite a few games only have a few hours of play or less but I do tend to dive in without hesitation. Only bad press deters me and even then, I tend to buy whatever interests me.

Around the Network

As for games that surprised me:

Bayonetta: I even made a thread about how shitty it looked. Became one of my favorite games of all time.

Gears of War: Didn't even really want this game. Looked generic and dull. I only bought it because it was on sale and I was out of desirable Xbox 360 games. Loved it.

Forza Horizon: I'm not a fan of realistic racing games but it was like $5. Was hardly realistic (I guess) but addictive as heck! Top quality experience.

OdinHades said:
God of War. Ever since the initial release in 2005 I only heard good things about that game. Everyone loved it but for some reason, I never really wanted to play it. After all these years I decided to give it a go and good lord, I'm having a blast! Already got through the first game, started God of War 2 right after that. Now I'm gonna play each and every title of the series. It really is just as great as everyone told me. I didn't expect that.

I wasn't reluctant, but still quite late to GOW myself, only starting with the GOW collection on PS3 in 2010. However, I was/am reluctant to play Ascension, because I read one part was maddeningly difficult. I'll add Bloodbourne as well. As I've aged, my skills have eroded somewhat, so series that are are notorious for their difficulty aren't as appealing to me as they were in my prime. I just got the Hotline Miami plat yesterday though, so I'm not totally shot. :)

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

fleischr said:
Persona 5.

On the premise on paper sounded a bit cringey:
-Anime artstyle
-Systems heavy JRPG with lots of dialogue
-High schoolers

... but now I'm really enjoying it. My favorite game on PS4.

Who would have thought that a stealth JRPG dating sim would work out?

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

This was forever ago, but I was reluctant to play Xenogears after I played VII. I seen the sprite characters, and the rougher 3D areas in the game. But when I did play it, I liked it more than my older brother who was the one pressuring me to play it. It since became one of my favorite series of all time.

Around the Network

Didn't come out yet, but Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Xenoblade X is one of the most disappointing games I've ever played, and I'm sorry, but I can't help but facepalm whenever I see Pyra's design.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Another was Cave Story. Back in the day, someone on this site actually bought it for me during the Secret Santa thingy we did every year for the Wii. I returned it and had them buy me another game. Later on I somehow wound up getting the game for my 3DS and I LOVED it.

I feel so bad about that, now.

d21lewis said:
Another was Cave Story. Back in the day, someone on this site actually bought it for me during the Secret Santa thingy we did every year for the Wii. I returned it and had them buy me another game. Later on I somehow wound up getting the game for my 3DS and I LOVED it.

That is definitely an interesting turn of events. Does the person who gifted you Cave Story still frequent this site?

Do people still participate in Secret Santa on this site or was that just something that was done during the Wii era?

ResidentToxy said:
d21lewis said:

That is definitely an interesting turn of events. Does the person who gifted you Cave Story still frequent this site?

Do people still participate in Secret Santa on this site or was that just something that was done during the Wii era?

I think there's still a Steam Secret Santa but I'm not a PC gamer. The Wii version died with the Wii since no other console allowed us to "gift" games to people.

I gave my Wii to my sister when I got a Wii U so I can't even look up the person's name.

Ultrashroomz said:
Didn't come out yet, but Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Xenoblade X is one of the most disappointing games I've ever played, and I'm sorry, but I can't help but facepalm whenever I see Pyra's design.