By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What games were you reluctant to play?

Tagged games:

Psychonauts for sure. I've always heard a lot of praise for it, but everytime I considered playing it, the artstyle turned me off and so I kept ignoring it. But since I love 3D platformers, one day I decided to get it since it was dirt cheap on Steam, and after playing for a while I grew used to the artstyle (And I even like it now!) and now I consider it one of the best games in the genre. Can't wait for the sequel.

Around the Network

Dark souls. I bought it cheap second hand 1.5 year later to see what the fuss was all about not expecting to play it for very long. I ended up restarting after 20 hours (cause I leveled myself into a corner), and ended up finishing the game, plus ng+ and half a game of ng++. Dark souls 2 was an instant buy, yet now I'm reluctant to start Bloodborne. Either I won't like it for lack of shield and get disappointed, or it will suck away my time again and I rather spend that on VR atm. It's a no win situation. My backlog is too big.

Actually I'm currently playing Infini factory which I was reluctant to try even though I love puzzle games. The sparse mixed reviews didn't make it seem very fun. So I ended up buying it in a psn sale and now can't stop playing it. Best puzzle game in years, I'm enjoying it even more than The Talos principle. It took me 4 days to solve one of the advanced puzzles since I started off with the wrong assumptions, but managed to fix it by thinking up new ways to do things. It's brilliant in how you're completely free in how to solve each puzzle, love it. It's sucking up all my time atm, PSVR has not been used in the past weeks.

Mass effect. At first I thought this was just another shooter, but then my brother convinced me to play it on his PC.

I immediately fell in love with the game.

Well, I actually like just trying out random games myself, so I guess my situation won't be exactly the same. But a game that I just tried without expecting much, then actually adoring, was Pure Pool for the PS4. I played the shit out of it at my aunt and uncle's over the Christmas break, we enjoyed it thoroughly.

BioShock, cause I was never a fan of FPS games.
Granted, I can't say BioShock or Infinite are games I enjoy playing through, but the setting and story for both are phenomenal.

Around the Network

Persona, starting with P4G.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Persona 5.

On the premise on paper sounded a bit cringey:
-Anime artstyle
-Systems heavy JRPG with lots of dialogue
-High schoolers

... but now I'm really enjoying it. My favorite game on PS4.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

OdinHades said:
God of War. Ever since the initial release in 2005 I only heard good things about that game. Everyone loved it but for some reason, I never really wanted to play it. After all these years I decided to give it a go and good lord, I'm having a blast! Already got through the first game, started God of War 2 right after that. Now I'm gonna play each and every title of the series. It really is just as great as everyone told me. I didn't expect that.

I beat the first God of War a couple of years after it had released. It was a really fun and enjoyable game. This very fact actually baffles me, due to my having not played any of the God of War games that followed. 

VGPolyglot said:
Well, I actually like just trying out random games myself, so I guess my situation won't be exactly the same. But a game that I just tried without expecting much, then actually adoring, was Pure Pool for the PS4. I played the shit out of it at my aunt and uncle's over the Christmas break, we enjoyed it thoroughly.

You weren't expecting much, so I would say that while you were not necessarily reluctant, you still came out pleasantly surprised. 

I have not heard of Pure Pool before. Is it an indie title (I have nothing against indie games)?

ResidentToxy said:
VGPolyglot said:

You weren't expecting much, so I would say that while you were not necessarily reluctant, you still came out pleasantly surprised. 

I have not heard of Pure Pool before. Is it an indie title (I have nothing against indie games)?

I assume it's an indie title, but it did get a physical release.