By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Guess Destiny 2's Final Metacritic Score: Currently 84 with 18 reviews (thread over game is good)

Where will the score land?

96 or higher 10 2.79%

90-95 24 6.70%

85-89 87 24.30%

80-84 132 36.87%

75-79 56 15.64%

70-74 21 5.87%

65-69 8 2.23%

60-64 2 0.56%

55-59 1 0.28%

50-54 17 4.75%

Total:358

So a few sites and magazines have finally posted reviews. I'm a little shocked at how quickly these came out considering that Activision didn't send out review copies. I thought someone working for a magazine or site would have put more than ten or fifteen hours into it before writing a review. Then again, maybe Bungie has finally righted itself. Maybe Destiny 2 is a genuinely good game. I'm eagerly awaiting final reviews from Easy Allies, and Destructoid.

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:
tokilamockingbrd said:

They did not send out review copies. They held a 2 day event where they invited a bunch of gaming journalist to play and they set up a network to help simulate the online experiance. Every hands on impression I read based on that event was very positive.

Now having played it for 8 hours I see a high 80s score. We will say 88

Yeah, they don't want people reading reviews. There's no reason not to send out review copies other than the game having flaws. Splatoon 2 got review copies shipped out and it was the same type of game. The game has released and it doesn't have a metacritic score. I don't think this sort of thing has ever happened before. Not for a game with so much marketing at least. 

The 2 day invitation event was just another way to control reviews. They probably invited mostly journalists that they thought would have a positive reaction to their game. This accomplishes two things.

1. The first reviews to come out will mostly be positive. By not issueing review copies they can make sure that reviews will be delayed enough to get people to buy the game without reading anything.

2. Journalists that weren't invited have to start playing the game today, and as a result their reviews will be even more delayed. This means that most of the negative reviews won't come out until a week or two after the game releases. 

sounds to me like you really want to hate it. 

Game is excellent. But you can keep rolling with your conspiracy theories which all seem to point to Bungie engaging in a huge coverup on how bad the game they are releasing is. 

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

bigjon said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Yeah, they don't want people reading reviews. There's no reason not to send out review copies other than the game having flaws. Splatoon 2 got review copies shipped out and it was the same type of game. The game has released and it doesn't have a metacritic score. I don't think this sort of thing has ever happened before. Not for a game with so much marketing at least. 

The 2 day invitation event was just another way to control reviews. They probably invited mostly journalists that they thought would have a positive reaction to their game. This accomplishes two things.

1. The first reviews to come out will mostly be positive. By not issueing review copies they can make sure that reviews will be delayed enough to get people to buy the game without reading anything.

2. Journalists that weren't invited have to start playing the game today, and as a result their reviews will be even more delayed. This means that most of the negative reviews won't come out until a week or two after the game releases. 

Game is excellent. But you can keep rolling with your conspiracy theories which all seem to point to Bungie engaging in a huge coverup on how bad the game they are releasing is. 

If it gets a good score from Easy Allies I'll take the conspiracy theories back. Those guys can't be bribed or influenced. 

Well, the first one did 76 on PS4 and 75 on XBO.
So I will assume that it fixed what didn't work while adding to what did, as all sequels should, and say 82 PS4, 80 XBO.

bigjon said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Too be fair, that kind of stuff is well documented as ways to control the review process. People are more likely to be biased(well ... even more biased than humans already are) when they go to exclusive events, and companies stopping the review process through embargos or in this case not sending a review copy can effect sales of the game. Whether or not the game gets positive reviews OP should not retract these "conspiracy theories", because getting a positive review from EasyAlly just means it's a good game, not that shady shit wasn't going down

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
bigjon said:

Too be fair, that kind of stuff is well documented as ways to control the review process. People are more likely to be biased(well ... even more biased than humans already are) when they go to exclusive events, and companies stopping the review process through embargos or in this case not sending a review copy can effect sales of the game. Whether or not the game gets positive reviews OP should not retract these "conspiracy theories", because getting a positive review from EasyAlly just means it's a good game, not that shady shit wasn't going down

Well, part of my theory is that the game is bad, and Bungie knows it. If EZA says it's a good game, then it almost certainly is. 

I have seven or eight hours in the game so far. In my opinion, it is excellent. But, I have obviously only scratched the surface of the game. I was originally thinking it would score in the low to mid-80s. But, I'm thinking mid-to-upper 80s now.

In any case, I think we can safely say at this point that it is significantly improved from the original game. That's really all that matters to me personally, as I had a ton of fun with the original. Any Improvement over that works for me.

VAMatt said:
I have seven or eight hours in the game so far. In my opinion, it is excellent. But, I have obviously only scratched the surface of the game. I was originally thinking it would score in the low to mid-80s. But, I'm thinking mid-to-upper 80s now.

In any case, I think we can safely say at this point that it is significantly improved from the original game. That's really all that matters to me personally, as I had a ton of fun with the original. Any Improvement over that works for me.

What is better about it? D1 had good enough gameplay & setting, but it stumbled over lazy/bad storytelling, uninspired wave-based encounter design, a stark lack of content, and a perhaps too chaotic competitive mode. I don't care about the competitive scene, but a better variety of encounters and putting the lore in-game rather than on cards would be worth bumping the score up a notch.

You seem to have a real problem with this game... I don't plan on getting it, but I've heard good things and I expect reviews to be good.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Normchacho said:
You seem to have a real problem with this game... I don't plan on getting it, but I've heard good things and I expect reviews to be good.

I do. I have a problem with games that get released incomplete, and come with microtransactions, and pre-planned mandatory paid DLC. I have a problem with marketing departments plastering the game all over everywhere, trying to hype up a sequel to one of the most dissapointing games this console generation. I have a problem with publishers that try to censor or control the reviews process. 

So far reviews have been good. Maybe it will be a good game, maybe not. I'll just wait for more reviews and see.