By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Is Officially No Longer A Plumber

According to Mario’s newly updated, official Japanese-language profile, the iconic character isn’t working as a plumber. This shouldn’t be a total surprise, because the character seems to do everything but plumbing.

But doesn’t going down Warp Pipes count? Doesn’t appear so! Here is how the recently uploaded Mario profile explains the character:

All around sporty, whether it’s tennis or baseball, soccer or car racing, he [Mario] does everything cool. As a matter of fact, he also seems to have worked as a plumber a long time ago...

Mario wasn’t always been a plumber. According to Shigeru Miyamoto, the character, then named “Jumpman,” was “basically a carpenter” in 1981's Donkey Kong, because the game takes place on a construction site.

“With (1983's) Mario Bros., we brought in Luigi and a lot of the game was played underground so we made him to fit that setting and, we decided he could be a plumber,” Miyamoto previously told USA Today. “The scenario dictates his role.” 

Source

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)
Around the Network

About time Mario got fired. He kept skipping work to go "save a princess excuse". Good riddance.

Edit: Wasn't he a carpenter at one point? Must have got fired from that too because of his pet gorilla. 

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

So, he's an athlete then? I guess that makes more sense than being a plumber, considering all the sports games he's been in.

VGPolyglot said:
So, he's an athlete then? I guess that makes more sense than being a plumber, considering all the sports games he's been in.

He is also able to jump amazing distances.

He's a Jack Mario of all trades.

Around the Network

Updates to the Mario canon? Nintendo surely wouldn't do that without a reason ... his old reputation/job description wasn't hampering anything in any of the games. Maybe this has something to do with Odyssey ...

Or Nintendo is just doing some long overdue spring cleaning of their franchises

He left the plumbing industry decades ago mate, he ran off with a rich woman.

How is he gonna survive in this economy? Gold coins don't just sho- oh.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Ain't he a doctor an the rest are just his hobbies? A lot of doctors play golf or tennis.

Conina said:

Ain't he a doctor an the rest are just his hobbies? A lot of doctors play golf or tennis.

A careless doctor at that, his solution is to just keep popping pills until the virus is gone!