By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is there no such thing as luxury gaming?

Xen said:
I also wanna add that we used to have such console products in the past... Look no further than the Neo Geo and 3DO!

The former being a very niche product that pretty much died with the original SNK, the latter, well, a commercial failure.

I think luxury gaming can work now, because the market is much, much bigger, and it would be built on the back of very successful ecosystems. 

Sony can make super high end models on the PS4, and they can sell them at ridiculous prices. Basically it would be like their  Z9D/A1E TV's or their ES Recievers. They just need to run games and apps a little bit better than the other models, with a few extra features, and the hardcore gamers and audio/video fanatics will have no problem grabbing them up. Everything is in place already. Sony has built a scalable ecosystem, and they just need to give the devs the tools to let the hardware do the work. Basically just let the hardware brute force its way to 4k/60fps. This can be done, and be just as successful as any other super high end electronics they make, that uses raw tech to pull better images and audio out of the content already on the market.

Now, if Samsung or Apple tried to enter the console market with $1,500 devices, then I see it turing out more like the Neo Geo and 3DO. No entry level device, no 1st party support, and new to the sector, is not a good business strategy.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network

Yeah, you're clearly describing high-end PCs, you'r just not aware of it.

High-end PCs actually can be bought preassembled (I know, shocker) and looking very stylish.

As for ease of use, there's nothing complicated about modern PC gaming...and if you don't want to fiddle even with that little and you're rich, you already have someone doing all the maintenance for you anyway (I only have one experience in my life similar to that, and that's a guy some 10 years ago that wanted flight simulator setup and was willing to spend some $20K....so he just payed people to do it for him and to maintain it).

Because console makers don't want you to have premium experiences. So that only leaves the option to stay with the shit PC has to offer where money spending opportunities are limitless.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

It exists and is called the Neo Geo.

As the others already mentioned, we already have that in a form of Neo Geo and 3DO. The 60 GB PS3 model is also priced as a luxury item (at least at launch). The problem is, none of these are successful on the market. So why bother creating more of them?

A handheld gamer only (for now).

Around the Network
KBG29 said:
I constantly ask this question. Why can I buy a Walkman for $65 to $3,200, or a Bravia for $200 - $20,000, but with PlayStation I am stuck with a $300 Slim or a $400 Pro.

I would absolutely love to see PlayStation and Xbox models in the $1,000 - $1,500 range. I would like to see VR offered from $300 - $3000, and Contollers from $60 - $600.

Unfortunately, the console market is still looked at as a joke to the business class. Executives at the big three still see them as toys, and not as serious consumer electronics. Consoles should be the Smartbox of the Home, and Handhelds should have never even let Smartphones as we know them exsist, but Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo all failed to capitilize.

On the bright side, with Kazuo Hirai at the top of Sony, it appears that things are very slowly changing for PlayStation. PS4 Pro, PS VR, and PS Vue are all looking to expand PlayStation's value in the company, and change the image of the brand. We also have the Xbox One X pushing for slightly higher end boxes from Microsoft. My hope is that all of these we be successful, and push for more high end consoles, and broader OS's and features.

I know some don't really dig Ken Kutaragi, but he had an amazing vision. He wanted PlayStation to be the heart of all Sony electronics. PlayStation was supposed to be the digital hub of the home, and everything in your home was supposed to connect to your PlayStation. He even wanted PlayStations hardware to be scaleable so that it could be used in all of Sony's products to help streamline the expereince and connectivity between all Sony devices. I personally still share this dream, and hope that some day, my console, my phone, my camera, my car, and all of my other electronics can run in harmony via one unified OS and a Network connection.

No offense but that is some nonsense. Who's the business class? And nothing suggests that executives see consoles as toys, especially when the average console gamer is in the early-30s.

Handhelds shouldn't have let smartphones exist? How? 

HoloDust said:

High-end PCs actually can be bought preassembled (I know, shocker) and looking very stylish.

As for ease of use, there's nothing complicated about modern PC gaming...and if you don't want to fiddle even with that little and you're rich, you already have someone doing all the maintenance for you anyway (I only have one experience in my life similar to that, and that's a guy some 10 years ago that wanted flight simulator setup and was willing to spend some $20K....so he just payed people to do it for him and to maintain it).

High-end PCs can only be called luxury items if they were expensive. They're not.

It's known as building a monster rig PC.

Lawlight said:
HoloDust said:

High-end PCs can only be called luxury items if they were expensive. They're not.

They're not expensive compared to what?

What everyone else said. But I'll be a broken record in case you somehow missed what everyone else says and say high-end PC. However, if you're going for high end "console" gaming, there's the XB1X, PS4P, and I think... the Steam Box counts... yeah?