By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Police try to arrest Uber driver for recording them, man turns out to be a lawyer

Rab said:
SvennoJ said:
Why does a lawyer need to make some extra money on the side as an Uber driver? Are things that bad in the US?

No sure in the US, but in Australia being a young lawyer is very difficult, unemployment is high for law, often just to secure a job if they are lucky they will need to work many years at menial tasks within a law firm at low pay

Lawyers have also expressed great concern about AI (which is already in use) that actually does the research work in routine cases that young lawyers use to do but the AI does it better, the future for lawyers in Australia at least is quite bleak

Perhaps Better call Saul isn't that unrealistic after all :)
I guess they'll have double bad luck once self driving cars take over. Johny cab incoming!

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
Rab said:

No sure in the US, but in Australia being a young lawyer is very difficult, unemployment is high for law, often just to secure a job if they are lucky they will need to work many years at menial tasks within a law firm at low pay

Lawyers have also expressed great concern about AI (which is already in use) that actually does the research work in routine cases that young lawyers use to do but the AI does it better, the future for lawyers in Australia at least is quite bleak

I guess they'll have double bad luck once self driving cars take over. Johny cab incoming!

Society will have to change completely with the rise of AI, it will soon affect all of us, the young more so

Mystro-Sama said:
Is the legal profession that saturated in America that lawyers have become uber drivers?

People need to change their perception of what it means to have a good job, economies are changing fast due to new technologies

Rab said:
SvennoJ said:

Society will have to change completely with the rise of AI, it will soon affect all of us, the young more so

Society is changing all the time. We do all our payments and other things online now, go to the store, check the computer which aisle to find the item, go through the self checkout, zero human interaction. Menial tasks get automated all the time, I guess research is next with AI.

Meanwhile instead of simply showing up at the airport with your passport, nowadays you start by checking in online, printing your own boarding pass, check in at a machine at the airport, put the labels on your bags yourself, drop them off at a bagage belt, then scan your own passport, take your picture at a machine and fill out a questionaire when coming back and drop off the printout at a customs officer. It's funny how customers put up with 'automation' which in the end just transfers all the work to them. Automation my ass.

Anyway, who is going to check the results from the AI research, and who is going to make all the relevant info accesible for AI. Different work. Sometimes I wonder if we're not creating more work when I'm on the phone with tech support and they can't figure out how to fix simple things in their automated systems.

SvennoJ said:
Rab said:

Society is changing all the time. We do all our payments and other things online now, go to the store, check the computer which aisle to find the item, go through the self checkout, zero human interaction. Menial tasks get automated all the time, I guess research is next with AI.

Meanwhile instead of simply showing up at the airport with your passport, nowadays you start by checking in online, printing your own boarding pass, check in at a machine at the airport, put the labels on your bags yourself, drop them off at a bagage belt, then scan your own passport, take your picture at a machine and fill out a questionaire when coming back and drop off the printout at a customs officer. It's funny how customers put up with 'automation' which in the end just transfers all the work to them. Automation my ass.

Anyway, who is going to check the results from the AI research, and who is going to make all the relevant info accesible for AI. Different work. Sometimes I wonder if we're not creating more work when I'm on the phone with tech support and they can't figure out how to fix simple things in their automated systems.

sex dolls will replace women too soon. i read some article last month that a brothel had more bookings with the doll then the real thing lol.

Around the Network

Some of the comments here are pretty funny. Do people really expect Police officers to know the law?

If they knew the law they wouldn't be police officers. Half the time they bluff as most people do not know the law either so it is a easy tactic to make someone listen or shot if they don't lol.

Until cops are held accountable for shit like this, it's going to continue because THESE types of cops are doing it for all the wrong reasons. A lot of them were nerds in school or rejects etc. Being a cop is their pseudo-revege. They're trying compensate for a lack of control and power in their lives prior. This is what leads to their ego-mania and god-like behavior.

SvennoJ said:

AI running on quantum computers sitting on remote servers will do this as well

Cobretti2 said:

sex dolls will replace women too soon. i read some article last month that a brothel had more bookings with the doll then the real thing lol.

Less chance of diseases, some may also feel guilty about exploiting the vulnerable for their personal pleasure, this way they are fee from those concerns   

But saying that the EU is currently drafting up guidelines to protect AI sexbots and other AI entities from exploitation, as it's not known how sophisticated AI will get in future  

The only thing he's right about is being able to film the police or anyone for the most part but they can search his car. They did search it and they ended up arresting his passenger. Cops do make mistakes because they're people too.