By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Police try to arrest Uber driver for recording them, man turns out to be a lawyer

It's great to know your laws when dealing with the Police... Even in my limited interactions back in college (they were there for underage possession of alcohol) they were trying to lead me to say things that would allow them to search stuff, and would say they're going to do something that they can't actually do (essentially just trying to intimidate a person into going along with it).

The funny thing is those cops were actually very friendly (one even saw a girl's Ugg boots or w.e and started singing "boots with the furrrr" haha), but that's just how cops are coached. In many cases the person is indeed doing something illegal, but the only way it's legal for them to find the evidence is essentially through intimidation. At the very least, they're careful NOT to let you know what rights you have.

Frankly, I think we need a Miranda rights part 2. You shouldn't only be read your rights as you're already being arrested, and cops should be made to read your rights as far as interacting with them goes ahead of time. Heck, that would also help to clear up what rights a person has to the cops who are reading it, as they certainly aren't lawyers themselves and often learn the trade from people who've spent a career bending the rules.

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:
So, in other words any mook can be a cop in america, provided they take a six month course. It's about time officers are forced to get a degree like everybody else.

Kinda hard to pay a low wage, be desperate for employees, and then demand higher education on top of that.

CaptainExplosion said:
Face it, it's like I said before and will now say again; Cops fucking suck.

I recall calling the police on some loud neighbors of mine. The police showed up, the neighbors quieted down, and the police then left.

Cops are pretty cool.

wait... you can become a cop in the US after only 19 weeks?? with guns and sh*t??

What The F**K! no wonder it's going to hell over there...

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Naum said:
wait... you can become a cop in the US after only 19 weeks?? with guns and sh*t??

You can become a soldier in the US with guns and shit in like ten weeks! But I know there's a difference.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
Naum said:

You can become a soldier in the US with guns and shit in like ten weeks! But I know there's a difference.

Yeah, at least soldiers are supposed to kill people, and even they're not supposed to do that among civilian population.

d21lewis said:
palou said:

And that's why you give them more than 19 bloody weeks of training, perhaps 3 years, like in the rest of the civilized world.

You're probably right.

I worked at a factory before becoming a cop and when I graduated, I just felt like a factory worker that suddenly had access to a gun and a car. It took a long time before I had and skills I think made me proficient as an officer--and much of that was because I took initiative to learn them on my own.

Interesting. Are you still a Police Officer? It says, Occupation: Nuclear on your profile.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Zkuq said:
d21lewis said:

Yeah, at least soldiers are supposed to kill people, and even they're not supposed to do that among civilian population.

My first day in the police academy, the instructor asked "Are you willing to kill another person?" Some guy said no. The instructor said "Get the hell out of my class."

That awkward moment when you try to bend the law against a lawyer.

They should get rid of the rule that some states have, that if you score too high, and its not even that high, in an IQ test then you are not allowed to become a policeman, as you're too intelligent.