By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Police try to arrest Uber driver for recording them, man turns out to be a lawyer

d21lewis said:
There's a lot of cops who don't know the law. Period.

And that's why you give them more than 19 bloody weeks of training, perhaps 3 years, like in the rest of the civilized world.

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
palou said:

*american cops suck.

ESCPECIALLY the American ones.

I really don't see reasons to make any general complaints about cops in most western european nations, (my experience - germany/france) though. They barely ever kill (in proportion to population, 30 times less than in the US), generally treat you with respect. They also know the laws. You have to make the distinction. 

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

palou said:
d21lewis said:
There's a lot of cops who don't know the law. Period.

And that's why you give them more than 19 bloody weeks of training, perhaps 3 years, like in the rest of the civilized world.

You're probably right.

I worked at a factory before becoming a cop and when I graduated, I just felt like a factory worker that suddenly had access to a gun and a car. It took a long time before I had and skills I think made me proficient as an officer--and much of that was because I took initiative to learn them on my own.

Machiavellian said:
Mar1217 said:
Since power is a corrupting thing. These kind of abuses of the "law" are unavoidable.

"Sir, you're being a jerk" Lol. As if you didn't need more justification cuz of your feelings xD

I'm glad the guy still kept his composure, same for the police guy. It could have got pretty violent.

The question is, would it have become violent if he was of a different race.  Just like the Nurse who was arrested because she would not let the officer take blood from a patient, Cops either not knowing the laws they are governed undered or just do not care can turn such situation into a deadly one.  I have seen time and again when people defend what the cop did even if death occured, it was alwasy blamed on the citizen not doing what he was asked to do even if he is in the right.  Being right and being dead is definitely something to think about when in such a situation.

Ah Race, i knew there was something missing.

So, in other words any mook can be a cop in america, provided they take a six month course. It's about time officers are forced to get a degree like everybody else.

Around the Network

I'm just waiting for the day when cops being fired for not knowing the law, trying to make up laws and shit like that is completely normal. If part of your job is enforcing the law and you're unable to do that, you have no reason to have that job any longer.

poklane said:
I'm just waiting for the day when cops being fired for not knowing the law, trying to make up laws and shit like that is completely normal. If part of your job is enforcing the law and you're unable to do that, you have no reason to have that job any longer.

That isn't happening until we fight the police unions. They do everything they can to protect their officers from accountability. They'll pay legal fees, threaten to strike if an officer is fired, and lobby against higher education standards for police. 

I feel kind of bad for giving the police some defense or benefit of the doubt on earlier topics. I try to be balanced and neutral, but there's just too many controversies, and it's not like they need defense. I mean, they're already in power as it is. 

Mar1217 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

That isn't happening until we fight the police unions. They do everything they can to protect their officers from accountability. They'll pay legal fees, threaten to strike if an officer is fired, and lobby against higher education standards for police. 

Just happened here in our province ( Quebec ) Multiple high grade officiers were busted forreceiving bride from Bell (Biggest mobile network operator in our country) xD Still, can't believe people let it slide this stuff so easily.

They got a bribe from Bell? What was the bribe for? 

Machiavellian said:

The question is, would it have become violent if he was of a different race.  Just like the Nurse who was arrested because she would not let the officer take blood from a patient, Cops either not knowing the laws they are governed undered or just do not care can turn such situation into a deadly one.  I have seen time and again when people defend what the cop did even if death occured, it was alwasy blamed on the citizen not doing what he was asked to do even if he is in the right.  Being right and being dead is definitely something to think about when in such a situation.

I read up on that and that infuriated me. The officer wanted to extract a comatose patient's blood when that is against the hospital's policy and his reasoning for wanting to collect the patient's blood was extremely shoddy. Cops need to go through more training so that these kinds of incidents can be minimized.