By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Police try to arrest Uber driver for recording them, man turns out to be a lawyer

nanarchy said:
Rab said:

This difference is the pace of change, when we banged two rocks together it took another 2 million years to make a spear

The pace of change is the fastest it has ever been, this can be incredibly stressful, and it will go faster, AI will tend to push it even faster, people will start competing with the AI’s pace of development, I think humans will lose that race eventually, jobs for all or even most will disappear

tell that to the generation when the car arrived, or the generation when electricy arrived, or the generation when industrialization took off or when globalisation kicked in or my generation where computers started. Every generation thinks their situation is harder or special, the reality is if anything this change is actually far slower than some of the major upheavals in just the last century or so alone, AI has been a slow advancing beast for the last 20 or 30 years. I did my honours in AI way back in the early 90's and while it has come a long way since then it has been a very slow crawl compared to other advancements and still has a long way to go.

Ah nice, I studied AI in the early 90's as well, and we still can't have a reliable conversation with an automated system over the phone, 25 years later. So far the smartest things I've seen computer programs do is crash or get in infinite loops in innovative ways :) I think we're still a long way off from AI that can actually grow by itself.

My grandfather went from not having electricity and getting coal delivered for heating to sending emails in his life time, things aren't progressing as fast nowadays. Although I still have half a lifetime to go.

Around the Network
Rab said:
nanarchy said:

tell that to the generation when the car arrived, or the generation when electricy arrived, or the generation when industrialization took off or when globalisation kicked in or my generation where computers started. Every generation thinks their situation is harder or special, the reality is if anything this change is actually far slower than some of the major upheavals in just the last century or so alone, AI has been a slow advancing beast for the last 20 or 30 years. I did my honours in AI way back in the early 90's and while it has come a long way since then it has been a very slow crawl compared to other advancements and still has a long way to go.

"Pace"

All that change you mentioned only happened over the last 100 years, before 1800's pace of tech was much slower, and the further back you go even slower still, now moving forward, it’s getting faster, the pace of change in a last 100 years we are seeing that in 10 years, we can’t stop it but it will put more pressure on people than ever before, you won’t have long to wait to see it :p   

No the pace of some things has gotten faster, other things have not. If anything change is slowing after have an extremely rapid change of pace for all of last century. AI is one of those slow burning changes and it is something that is still realistically a long way off, it will creep into some areas, usually in the form of an expert system or control system but it is not a fast pace nor is it likely to accelerate at any considerable rate in the foreseeable future, still too many issues to solve.

d21lewis said:
There's a lot of cops who don't know the law. Period.

Thats true to a degree, but I dont think thats the ultimate problem. I think the power goes to the ego and some eventually believe they are the law.

SvennoJ said:
nanarchy said:

Ah nice, I studied AI in the early 90's as well, and we still can't have a reliable conversation with an automated system over the phone, 25 years later. So far the smartest things I've seen computer programs do is crash or get in infinite loops in innovative ways :) I think we're still a long way off from AI that can actually grow by itself.

My grandfather went from not having electricity and getting coal delivered for heating to sending emails in his life time, things aren't progressing as fast nowadays. Although I still have half a lifetime to go.

exactly. unfortunately too many people use the media and movies as to there idea of what AI can and is achieving, companies overhype and mislabel things as AI further adding to the general publics confusion. AI is still incredibly basic, The expert Systems they write today are not much different to the ones I was writing 20 years ago with the exception they have more data and processing power and a prettier interface, the technology is still a long way away. We are not just a long way off from real AI, it is so far off we can't even begin to guess when it will be developed.

nanarchy said:
SvennoJ said:

exactly. unfortunately too many people use the media and movies as to there idea of what AI can and is achieving, companies overhype and mislabel things as AI further adding to the general publics confusion. AI is still incredibly basic, The expert Systems they write today are not much different to the ones I was writing 20 years ago with the exception they have more data and processing power and a prettier interface, the technology is still a long way away. We are not just a long way off from real AI, it is so far off we can't even begin to guess when it will be developed.

excuse me sir. do you really expect me to believe some clown with an honours over the History Channel documentaries I watch frequently on a daily basis? Those shows are very educational and teach me almost as much as Ancient Aliens, which is my 2nd favourite program.

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
nanarchy said:

excuse me sir. do you really expect me to believe some clown with an honours over the History Channel documentaries I watch frequently on a daily basis? Those shows are very educational and teach me almost as much as Ancient Aliens, which is my 2nd favourite program.

Don't you know we all float down here!

nanarchy said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Don't you know we all float down here!

YOU'LL FLOAT TOO! YOU'LL FLOAT TOO! YOU'LL FLOAT TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

nanarchy said:

the technology is still a long way away. We are not just a long way off from real AI, it is so far off we can't even begin to guess when it will be developed.

Famous last words of dying speacies :p

But no worries mate, what will come will come

SvennoJ said:
nanarchy said:

Interestingly enough, Facebook does not share your optimistic view on the growth of AIs, following their little episode with their own experiment. AIs developing their own language, ON their own, during interaction between themselves, I think counts as "AIs growing by itself".

Don't you?

I'm so glad I live in a country where they choose actual people for police jobs instead of sociopathic brutes with power fantasies.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.