By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Kotaku - Switch is Dominating PS4 in Japan

Kotaku: A handheld is selling more than a console in Japan...

Around the Network

Oh really? Who would have thought

"Switch will be dead on arrival"

" Switch will sell shit like the Wii U cause its underpowered and no 3rd party AAA support"

" Nintendo should go third party developers"

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Rem87919394 said:
The amount of Japanese post here from so many people outside of Japan is odd

What does this supposed to mean?

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network

PS4 didn't get anything to excite the Japanese at launch.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Azuren said:
Nautilus said:

The point is that the Switch is not only a handheld, but a hybrid.

Nevertheless, its Nintendo adapting to the market and playing to its strenght

It'll always be a dockable handheld to me ;)

No you're a dockable handheld

TK-Karma said:
Kotaku can you be any more click-baity with that title, for this gaming subculture? =p this stuff is GOOOOOLD for threads

PS4 is still doing well there too, good to see a relatively healthy market still puttering along

Yeah I find "dominating" to be a little overkill.  Nintendo would have to have enough supply to meet all or most of the demand before you could say it was DOMINATING the PS4.  Don't get me wrong I've been a Nintendo gamer first and foremost since the NES days, but I've also owned every PS machine (outside of the PSP) since they came on the scene. Hell I'd like to see Microsoft doing well in Japan and I really don't like Micro$oft (mostly because of their PC practices).  I think we as gamers win the most when all three are healthy and competing in all markets.

On that topic, VG Chartz seems to be massively over tracking PS4 in Japan. Look at the latest charts compared to
Famitsu and Media Create for the same time period.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Were there people on this site expecting the home console PS4 to outsell the handheld Switch in Japan on this site? I would say 90% of the people here before the Switch launched would pick the handheld to sell more in Japan