By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Persona 5 Voted the Best Game of All Time by the Famitsu Readership; PS2 Voted Best Platform

There's some definite recency bias here, also it's clear that the people polled are in the minority. A lot of very niche games made the list.

Would love to know why DQ3 is considered the best??

Still there are plenty of familiar faces, games like FF7, Sakura Wars, Chrono Trigger etc. that show up every time Japan does one of these polls. It's these games that are truly the greatest.

Wish the list had 100 games though. There's so many recent games that it's hard to tell what classics are still considered great.

Most importantly though, WHERE THE FUCK IS MACHI??

Around the Network
Johnw1104 said:

A Japanese person I knew in college told me that he believes his country is about as xenophobic and culturally elitist as any you'll find. It just seems weird to me as every Japanese person I've met has been exceedingly kind and friendly.

I suppose a couple thousand years of isolation on an island chain, plus the complete intentional isolation under the Tokugawa Shogunate for centuries, had a lasting impact.

Extreme politeness can be interpreted as form of passive-agressive despise. I know people who had been in Japan for a long time, most of them didn't feel welcome at all.

On topic, I haven't got the chance to play P5 or many of the other games listed, but the lack of non-japanese games and the large number of very recent titles makes this poll rubbish in my opinion.

Johnw1104 said:
lol 4 of the top 5 released in the past 5 years and 48% of the list released in the last 7 years?

Recency bias is a very real thing lol... It's why when composing lists like this it's best to exclude games released over the previous decade or so. Of course, it's also better to only ask those people who are actually familiar with games dating back throughout the history of the industry as well, but that's not exactly realistic lol

Nostalgia bias is also a thing.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Persona 5 is definitely one of the best games I've ever played, as with the other Persona entries. But best game ever?

Personally I think you have to let a gave marinate for a while and see if it stands the test of time. If it's still amazing to play after many years, then you know it really is worthy of that accolade. We'll see how that goes but as of now, it certainly is up for contention.

konnichiwa said:
Xen said:
Well fuck, somebody remembered SMT: DDS :O

Completely undeserved best game ever, completely deserved best console ever - and the PS1 is my close second as well.

I loved the franchises very sad it is over..

Still have the songs in my youtube list:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7zvmq24Sck&list=WL&index=142

One of the best boss battle themes ever, if not the best.

Around the Network

It is out of 100 games. I just can't find the whole thing lol.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
BraLoD said:
No LoD, no list.

No matter how many times I lurk for a few months and come back, whenever I do return, I see you praise LoD, and I nod in agreement.  Keep fighting the good fight.

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

I love to see Nier Automata so high and really nice that Kingdom Hearts II is in the list. I think Xenoblade deserves to be even higher and it would've been cool if Dragon Quest 8 and Final Fantasy 6 were there.

This list definitely aligns more with my particular taste than Edge's :p

Another reason not to take Japan seriously when it comes to games currently. Persona 5 is a very good game. That's about it

I tried to play Persona 5. It was too weird for me, and I just couldn't get into it.