By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - (Update) The difference between the Wii U and Switch libraries after 10 months on the market.

Switch wins because it's getting more remasters which are all the rage these days.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Around the Network

The switch is a monster compared with the wii u

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

FunFan said:

Switch wins because it's getting more remasters which are all the rage these days.

But Switch remasters have a cool idea! 

Now you can play those games on the go! I dont think PS4 or XB1 does that........ 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Cerebralbore101 said:
SuperNova said:
The good thing for Nintendo and first time Switch owners is that they have basically the entire WiiU library at the tips of their fingers, to fill out gaps in the release schedule.
That alone should last them around two years at least. By then 3rd parties should hopefully have jumped on board to fill in gaps and Nintendo will have heavy hitters like AC, Pokemon and Metroid coming.
It's all looking good so far.

If Rabbids sells well Ubisoft may just dedicate a branch to Nintendo the the rest of the Switch's lifetime. It could also make Sega and Atlus get really brave with releasing more SRPGs for the system, since that sort of thing is one of Atlus' specialties. Finally, all those AA devs from the 3DS need somewhere to go. Small AA games can now be launched for either PS4, or Switch for $40. That's become a standard thing for games like Kiwami, Lost Legacy, FF XII, and Rachet Remake. 

As long as Ubi Milan/Montpellier are the branches they dedicate to it I'd actually love that. They turn out such stellar games. I loved Rayman Legends, it is the best 2D platformer besides DK TP on WiiU imo, and Mario Rabbids is turning out really nicely as well. The occasional Assasins Creed port would also be nice to have.

I'd love a Persona 5 Port or even a persona collection if just for the portability (not happening, I know..), but a port+sequel of TMS#FE would be really nice to get as well.

As for smaller AA support I'm personally mostly looking for Ace Attorney and the Professor Layton series, but both Capcom and Level 5 seem to have been offering spotty/hesitant support at best so far. Level 5 says they are supporting it, but there's nothing actually out or even announced for the Switch and Capcom has been pulling MonHun away from the system and has so far only comitted to old ports. So I hope that improves in the future.

Wii U launch was OK... but by the summer hype and support was all gone

Switch!!!

Around the Network
Kwaidd said:

wii u did have stuff like CoD, darksiders 2 and arkham origins, need for speed most wanted

Yes, same like PS3 and Xbox 360, and most people want strong exclusives for Nintendo system not games that can be played on other platforms.

Rab said:
Actually Wii U had a good launch window line up, people gave it a bad rap and it stuck hard, hard enough that it killed it

Totally disagree, Wii U had bad launch line up, it missing most important thing for Nintendo system, strong system seller game, SM3DW came after hole year when already was too late.

FunFan said:

Doesn't really matters, Nintendo made great launch and 1st year lineup for Switch while they made terrible for Wii U.

Pok87 said:
First 6 months:

WiiU:
- Nintendo Land (77% on metacritic)
- ZombiU (77%)
- New Super Mario Bros. U (84%)
- LEGO City Undercover (80%)
- Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (82%)

NS:
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (97%)
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (92%)
- ARMS (77%)
- Splatoon 2 (83%)
- Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle (85%)

You missing 1, 2 Switch and Snipperclips.

Both consoles are great .

Salnax said:

I decided to put to gether a table.

Wii U Switch
Launch Window (2012Q4/2017Q1)

New Super Mario Bros U

Nintendo Land

ZombiU

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

1-2 Switch

Super Bomberman R

Second Quarter (2013Q1/2017Q2) LEGO City Undercover

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Arms

Minecraft

Third Quarter (2013Q2/2017Q3) New Super Luigi U

Splatoon 2

Mario + Rabbids

Pokken

Fourth Quarter (2013Q3/2017Q4

Pikmin 3

Rayman Legends

Disney Infinity

Super Mario Odyssey

Fire Emblem Warriors

Sonic Forces

Skyrim

Xenoblade 2 (?)

"Launch Window" basically means November and December of 2012 for the Wii U and March 2017 for the Switch. The Wii U games above all sold at least half a million at retail. Switch games hve either sold half a million or are likely to do so. Multiplatform games are in italics.

Long Story short, the Switch has the upper hand. The Wii U landscape was barren after launch until summer was well underway, whereas the Switch has had a constant stream of notable first party titles. And although the Wii U was meant to encourage third party support, it doesn't have a major lead in that category. The impact of ZombiU, Monster Hunter, Rayman, and Disney Infinity is roughly on par with Bomberman, Minecraft, Sonic, and Skyrim.

Pretty sure I was playing Sonic Racing Transformed which I loved and Tekken Tag when I first got my wii u. I think there were a few other games too I liked. It really didn't seem that bad at the time with sessions of Sonic Racing, Tekken, mario kart wii, zelda twilight princess, zombi u and the mario galaxy games. The only  launch game I would want to play on Switch is Zelda and I have it on wii u.  I'm not into splatoon didn't like it and mario kart is pretty much same as  before. I don't think I'm being unfair being unimpressed with the Switch lineup but completely understand people's perspective may be different who never owned a wii u.

Miyamotoo said:
Kwaidd said:

wii u did have stuff like CoD, darksiders 2 and arkham origins, need for speed most wanted

Yes, same like PS3 and Xbox 360, and most people want strong exclusives for Nintendo system not games that can be played on other platforms.

Rab said:
Actually Wii U had a good launch window line up, people gave it a bad rap and it stuck hard, hard enough that it killed it

Totally disagree, Wii U had bad launch line up, it missing most important thing for Nintendo system, strong system seller game, SM3DW came after hole year when already was too late.

FunFan said:

Doesn't really matters, Nintendo made great launch and 1st year lineup for Switch while they made terrible for Wii U.

Pok87 said:
First 6 months:

WiiU:
- Nintendo Land (77% on metacritic)
- ZombiU (77%)
- New Super Mario Bros. U (84%)
- LEGO City Undercover (80%)
- Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (82%)

NS:
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (97%)
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (92%)
- ARMS (77%)
- Splatoon 2 (83%)
- Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle (85%)

You missing 1, 2 Switch and Snipperclips.

And few others, for both consoles. I mentioned only big exclusives, because those games really matter. 

WiiU in first 6 months have only one system seller (New Super Mario Bros. U). Switch already have three (The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2), and soon we will see another big system seller (Super Mario Odyssey - 8 months after system launch).

I'd say they were comparable in early game offerings. Switch has sexy hardware. WiiU did not.