By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Selling more Switch's than any other retailer led to overall boost in Gamestop hardware sales

So much for all the announcements by Gamestop about high sales of Nintendo Switch being dismissed by some as "bullsh*t PR".  That "PR" and so-called "spin" has been backed up by Gamestop's quarterly earnings report.

"Nintendo Switch remains sold out virtually everywhere, and no one has sold more than GameStop. The retailer today reported its earnings for the quarter that ended on July 29, 2017, and it was a period that saw the company receive a notable boost from sales of Nintendo's latest console.

GameStop had "leading market share" for Nintendo Switch during the period, beating out competitors like Amazon and Walmart. As a result, new hardware sales were up 14.8% year-over-year, which is notable given declining prices of the PS4 and Xbox One."

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/more-nintendo-switch-units-were-sold-at-gamestop-t/1100-6452844/

Around the Network
Mandalore76 said:

So much for all the announcements by Gamestop about high sales of Nintendo Switch being dismissed by some as "bullsh*t PR".  That "PR" and so-called "spin" has been backed up by Gamestop's quarterly earnings report.

That was all before the Switch released. Like when Kimishima said the Switch could outsell the Wii and most answers were sarcastic or mocking him.

Us forum idiots like to discuss a lot, but the excutives and PR people have the data and knowledge we don't. We should stop doubting them.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

I bet there's a Wal-Mart in the middle of nowhere with the only unsold Switch in the US, and they have no idea what it is.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

RolStoppable said:
Slarvax said:

That was all before the Switch released. Like when Kimishima said the Switch could outsell the Wii and most answers were sarcastic or mocking him.

Us forum idiots like to discuss a lot, but the excutives and PR people have the data and knowledge we don't. We should stop doubting them.

I am pretty sure the OP is refering to the post-launch statements by Gamestop. Lots of people were still in denial that Switch could be a winner.

Yes, exactly.

spurgeonryan said:
Makes sense, they are the only store getting a significant amount. I keep saying I have not seen one anywhere else since the Splatoon 2 launch. Bout to change with the splatoon 2 bundle on the 9th.

i'm impressed you've seen some at all. I still haven't seen a single one in wild since launch.

Around the Network

Basically, gamestop is saying that they have sold more because they got more than anyone else. Until about 3 weeks ago, you could hardly get luck enough to find a switch at a store. It seems that they are more readily available the last few weeks as I found them in multiple retailers. I picked one up...

It is near the end of the end....

That's nice.

I hope we don't have any more people that will say that's not true and that's just PR talk. :)

SuperNova said:
spurgeonryan said:
Makes sense, they are the only store getting a significant amount. I keep saying I have not seen one anywhere else since the Splatoon 2 launch. Bout to change with the splatoon 2 bundle on the 9th.

i'm impressed you've seen some at all. I still haven't seen a single one in wild since launch.

I was able to get the Switch last week due to all of the GameStop stores getting them back in stock. I have the red and blue joy con version. 

Mr.GameCrazy said:
SuperNova said:

I was able to get the Switch last week due to all of the GameStop stores getting them back in stock. I have the red and blue joy con version. 

Congratz! Now add all of us!