By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Wonder Woman Is "A Step Backwards..."

Trentonater said:

Mad Max Fury Road was pretty explicitly feminist in the end. It was feminist in the most superficial way imaginable but it was acknowledged by George Miller. It being so superficial is why the pre-release backlash was so overblown.

In what way would you characterize it as being superficial?

Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's an insincere production. Mad Max: Fury Road seemed very heartfelt to me and to most professional film critics!

Around the Network

When someone say space of talk that is when that person won't get anymore conversation from me.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Trentonater said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Anyways, I think it's funny that James used Ripley as an example of his strong female character. You didn't invent the character, and yet she's the strongest female character you've worked with. Haha.

He wrote the movie where she first started to get any amount character development and the role got a best actress nomination at the oscars. And he used Sarah Conner who is certainly his most complex character.

Ehhh...I mean I guess.

I haven't seen Terminator. Honestly it was just a fun jab at the guy. Again, that was not the point of my comment.

Jaicee said:
Trentonater said:

Mad Max Fury Road was pretty explicitly feminist in the end. It was feminist in the most superficial way imaginable but it was acknowledged by George Miller. It being so superficial is why the pre-release backlash was so overblown.

In what way would you characterize it as being superficial?

Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's an insincere production. Mad Max: Fury Road seemed very heartfelt to me and to most professional film critics!

Superficial means surface level. It doesn't have anything particularly insightful to say on the subject in modern discourse. It could have counted as an intelectual breakthrough at least for the film medium in the 30s. And I love Fury Road.

Trentonater said:

Superficial means surface level. It doesn't have anything particularly insightful to say on the subject in modern discourse. It could have counted as an intelectual breakthrough at least for the film medium in the 30s. And I love Fury Road.

Oh okay, I get what you mean now! I thought you were talking about sincerity of motive.

Around the Network
Puppyroach said:
o_O.Q said:

what does equality mean to you?

The right for everyone to be who they want whether it be sexy, strong, beautiful, funny or a combination of things.

how do people in the west male or female not have those rights?

I didn't like it either. I was surprised how bad the movie was after all the praise and how it redeemed the recent super hero f* ups. It may not be as bad as Suicide Squad but far from the comic adaptions of Capt. America (Winter Soldier) and Dredd.

Hunting Season is done...

Arminillo said:
In Japan, there is backlash over the movies marketing campaign, something along the lines of "she is a superhero, but she is also innocent, and has never known love". Hearing about that made me realize that they are not wrong.

The premise of Wonder Woman is that a very very powerful woman goes to the normal world, where she is naïve to most things in it (rotating doors, ice cream, people in general), at the end of the movie she is losing to Ares when she remembers what her male love interest told her before he died, "I love you". This confession of love allows her to SUDDENLY BE STRONG ENOUGH TO CURBSTOMP Ares, and the climax of the story ends with her literally talking about the power of love.

As pertaining to what James Cameron said, it's not a step back really, what it is instead I view it as a take contrary to what is the current progressive narrative to women. Instead of being just like a man but better, it is a story of embracing the qualities that women have been associated with throughout history and showing them as a source of power rather than weakness.

How about some spoiler text for those of us that hadn't seen the movie yet?

Raising the bar again, aye?

"wonder woman" is not actually a woman, it is a thing made out of clay to resemble the shape of a woman. I dont understand why women relate to that thing at all.

The fact that "wonder woman" is not a woman at all negates everything the director of the film has to say.