By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best Way to Play Shenmue I & II?

So I always loved the Shenmue games, and quickly backed and am looking forward to Shenmue III after so many years :D

But even though it gonna be a while till I play SIII I would like to go back and play I & II (preferably dubbed) again.

Now the first problem is Shenmue I only came out on Dreamcast, II also came out on Dreamcast but wasnt dubbed. A dubbed version of II did eventually come out on the Original Xbox, but you cant play the first on that console.

So short of buying a Dreamcast and Original Xbox, what options are there to play these? I guess it would have to come down to some kind of emulation, but I have little knowledge in this area.

I looked up and saw a cool looking handheld called the GPD XD (I think) would that be able to play these?

For the record I do actually already have both the XB and DC versions packed away somewhere (but dont have the consoles). Ideally, I would like them to both be released on PSN and I would buy them there and play on PS4 :D

The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them.

Ernest Hemmingway

Around the Network

It depends on how you want to go about it. It sounds like you already answered your own question, you have both versions, but you are waiting for a release on the PS4.

With a bit of luck, Shenmue II might come to Xbox One as a BC title.

Brutalyst said:

So I always loved the Shenmue games, and quickly backed and am looking forward to Shenmue III after so many years :D

But even though it gonna be a while till I play SIII I would like to go back and play I & II (preferably dubbed) again.

Now the first problem is Shenmue I only came out on Dreamcast, II also came out on Dreamcast but wasnt dubbed. A dubbed version of II did eventually come out on the Original Xbox, but you cant play the first on that console.

So short of buying a Dreamcast and Original Xbox, what options are there to play these? I guess it would have to come down to some kind of emulation, but I have little knowledge in this area.

I looked up and saw a cool looking handheld called the GPD XD (I think) would that be able to play these?

For the record I do actually already have both the XB and DC versions packed away somewhere (but dont have the consoles). Ideally, I would like them to both be released on PSN and I would buy them there and play on PS4 :D

GPD won't play any Dreamcast games well.  I know, I tried playing stuff with an atom.  You'd need something more powerful (Something really more powerful for Demul).  If you want both dubbed, you're going to have to get two consoles.  If you wanna try a better computer, you can get the first on an emulator and get an Xbox for the second.

The best way to play any game is the original version on the original hardware. Anything else is not 100% accurate or true to the original game.

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:
The best way to play any game is the original version on the original hardware. Anything else is not 100% accurate or true to the original game.

Well, it depends how you mean "best". If you want closest to the original, yes, but some people prefer being able to play with bumped up resolution, anti-aliasing, etc.

Depends on how morally scrupulous you are, how good your PC is, and whether or not you're willing to spend money.

A Dreamcast isn't that expensive, and you could get it for under 60 bucks. If you have the game, great, and if not it is really really easy to make bootleg Dreamcast games. If you don't mind subtitles, you can play both on there.

Also keep in mind that Shenmue 2 will run on a 360.

Wait for it. Sega is looking into ways to make a HD version of both of them.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Brutalyst said:

watch this:

https://youtu.be/7HNOSQqoUcg?t=1569

answear: Demul  (its more accurate than NullDC)

JWeinCom said:
Depends on how morally scrupulous you are, how good your PC is, and whether or not you're willing to spend money.

A Dreamcast isn't that expensive, and you could get it for under 60 bucks. If you have the game, great, and if not it is really really easy to make bootleg Dreamcast games. If you don't mind subtitles, you can play both on there.

Also keep in mind that Shenmue 2 will run on a 360.

I dont have an XBox of any kind, PS4 and Switch only :)

If it wasnt for the fact I need to get both a Dreamcast and an Original XBox to play them dubbed its what I would do. But I cant play both dubbed on just (either) one system, and getting both the systems and then figuring out a way of getting them connected to TV seems like to much trouble.

I might consider getting a Dreamcast and playing 1 dubbed and 2 with the subtitles, I guess I might have to :(

The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them.

Ernest Hemmingway