By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Do you rely on videogame reviews?

mainly i relay on reviews

Around the Network

For new games (i.e. not sequals) I rely on demos when possible. If not then reviews. If I liked a previous game in a series then I will usually buy the next one no matter what. For example, I will buy Galaxies no matter what since I have not been let down on a Mario game yet. Even if it got horrid reviews. For a new IP I would want to check it out, read reviews, and also get a consensus from other users.

Always. I'm a gamer and I trust gamers, www.gamerankings.com is my bible.

If a game gets a 9 or 10 I usually take notice. And if a game I'm really looking forward to gets 7s I tend to get a little disappointed and my expectations for the game are dramatically lowered.

I rely on reviews, sales figures, facts, and opinion.

However, with reviews, I rely on an average score of multiple reviews, such as websites like www.gamerankings.com, and not one review, from one website, such as www.ign.com. Many reviews on one game is closer to a fact than one review on one game.

Around the Network

I check out reviews from various sources to try and get a better image instead of just one person's opinion. Sometimes I will risk a game if it looks appealing even if it gets terrible reviews and also sometimes good reviewed games I'm hesitant about because of the genre or type of game it is. I NEVER rely on sales to decide if a game is good, there have been so many amazing games that don't sell well (Okami and EBA the two most recent) that are extremely good and get really good reviews but people don't go for them cause they're different. It's a shame really.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

3 letters... E G M

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

EGM?

Not really, sometimes reviews can be helpful, but I rely mostly on what family and friends have or will play and what they think about new games coming out.

I usually read several reviews and if they agree on a common trait (good or bad) I will factor that into my buying decision.

I dont think anyone should ever rely on *one* reviewers opinion. 

Latest example was Tenchu Z. I was looking forward to getting it right away but all reviews Ive read pretty much agree on several negative points.

I still would like to play it, so I will probably buy it later when its in the bargain bin. ($20 or less)

PS360 ftw!

Currently playing..........

Gears of War 2, GTA IV Lost and Damned, Little Big Planet (Yes I said I had no interest but my girl wanted to try it and we did and now Im hooked )