By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Do you rely on videogame reviews?

if you saw a game at gamestop and played around with it for a little bit and thought it was cool, then you read the review on IGN or gamespot or whatever, but then the videogame reviewers said it sucked, would you refrain from buying it?

Or what if there was a game that you thought sucked, but then IGN gives it a 10 out of 10, would you give it a second look?

How much do you trust the reviews?

Around the Network
That Guy said:

if you saw a game at gamestop and played around with it for a little bit and thought it was cool, then you read the review on IGN or gamespot or whatever, but then the videogame reviewers said it sucked, would you refrain from buying it?

Or what if there was a game that you thought sucked, but then IGN gives it a 10 out of 10, would you give it a second look?

How much do you trust the reviews?

i read reviews, but also user reviews. I always do a 6 - 10 is worth a buy, 4 & 5 rent it, anything less, no. 

But yea read users reviews they are always useful.  

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

A good rule of thumb is to find a reviewer or review site that has enjoyed games you enjoy. This way, they might actually have similar taste to you. It has gone both ways for me. Some sites review a game and say it is absolutely fantastic, and I will be disappointed, whereas some will say a game was a let down and I had a blast playing it. So, no, I wouldn't let a review (good or bad) decide whether I buy a game or not. But I certainly do read reviews. I try to find both good and bad ones to see what the complaints are and what the praises are.

No. It is part of the research that goes into getting a game, but not the only factor. I agree with Dolla. If a site always rates platformers high, then I will read their review. I read as many reviews as possible when going to buy a game. Two reviews may say the sound is a problem, and the graphics are clunky sometimes. However, one gives it a higher score than the other. I would probably get it anyway, seeing as that does not make the game less enjoyable for me. I try to compare the complaints and praises as well. Try to balance them out. If the only good thing going for a game is the sound, I may steer clear of it.

Reviews are big factor in purchasing games for me. When I want a new DS game...I either pick a game I've played and liked, a game my friends rant about, or a game that gets high review scores, like Metroid, Meteos, Mario, Sonic Rush, etc. If there's a game in the 6-7 range...I wouldn't get it unless I was sure I'd like it.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
snip

i read reviews, but also user reviews. I always do a 6 - 10 is worth a buy, 4 & 5 rent it, anything less, no.

But yea read users reviews they are always useful.

Wow 6-10 worth a buy? When what, 99.6% of titles rank 6-8. And even the utter drek gets a 5.

Me, I skim professional reviews; they almost invariably are retarded. I read user reviews. And I take most of those with a grain of salt. Ideally, I look for reviewers who appear to have similiar tastes as I do, and weight their comment accordingly.

I wouldnt say I rely on reviews, but more so use them as a guide. Site like IGN are a joke, but I do respect some minstream reviews. However, I mostly rely on blogs/forums as a guide to whats "hot or not" Slightly OT, but this is the greatest video game review ever written http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/independenceday/review.html

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

I wouldnt say I rely on reviews, but more so use them as a guide. Site like IGN are a joke, but I do respect some minstream reviews. However, I mostly rely on blogs/forums as a guide to whats "hot or not" Slightly OT, but this is the greatest video game review ever written http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/independenceday/review.html

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Reviews these days try too hard to be amusing. Often they verge on attempted crude bathroom humor, yet sadly the reviewers themselves lack both writing talent and wit. I rarely find reviews of merit in regards to my personal tastes. They do tend to be more streamlined than user reviews: “dis game rulz!!!11 Best game eva!11 100 outa 10!” >_

"There are three types of lies : Lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli ( Made famous by Mark Twain )

PSN ID: DeviantPathways

Wii Number: 0081 3044 1559 2355

Yes and no, I usually only buy a few games every 6 months so I depend on reviews to see if I like the game or not. Most of the time I look at the previews and I can 95% of the time tell if it is a game worth buying or not. Its why I picked up advanced wars, and it is one of my favorite games of all time