By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What are your thoughts and feelings on smart devices in home (echo, home, etc)?

Are you concerned about privacy issues with these devices?

Yes 33 71.74%

No 10 21.74%

Results 3 6.52%

Total:46

I was just wondering what people thought about these devices.  Are you concerned with privacy?  Do you not care about being listened to 24/7?

I don't really see a need or care for such a product.  I would use it as much as a tablet (which is 0%).  Some features might be neat to play music through bluetooth but I have plenty of other "dumb" devices that can manage these tasks. 

So let me know your opinion on such devices being used within your home.

Around the Network
twintail said:
Honestly dont care about the privacy issue.

will try for a smart flat when i get my own place and not renting. so look forward to seeing what i can use.

Inform me of something a smart home can provide which a dumb home can't?  I'm not so lazy that I can somehow manage to get off my ass and go turn the AC on myself.  I can power on devices with remotes and not my voice.  I'm just having a hard time seeing any benefit.  I can increase energy effeciency without having to buy something that connects to the internet.

twintail said:

being more efficient i suppose. if you think you cna just do things the way you do it now then that is cool. no worries. smart home is ust something you either care for or dont. if you feel you dont need it then you dont need. no worries.

I'm just trying to get other mindset.  I don't see any benefit from the cost vs efficiency while at same time giving up privacy.  I believe younger generations trust companies more than governments in terms of privacy.  I trust no one except family and close friends. 

I'm too paranoid for that, I put a piece of tape on my laptop's webcam. I can't imagine a house full of devices that I think are listening to me.

Aeolus451 said:
I'm too paranoid for that, I put a piece of tape on my laptop's webcam. I can't imagine a house full of devices that I think are listening to me.

The Russians are spying on us!

Around the Network

Spy central right there. I am old school so I will probably never get most of them cause I really don't like the idea of it recording my conversations and sending it off to the cloud, regardless of it's purpose.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Just don't get it if you don't like it.

Personally, I'm fine with a traditional home with security cameras and devices inside. I'm not lazy to the point where I need a smart device to do things like turning on the light

Amazon has come out an officially repeated the FACT that these things can't call 911, but these stories persist. A sheriff's office even kept insisting they were called by an Echo: THEY DON'T DO THAT! So: worry about them listening 24/7. I'll worry about credulously believing internet tripe. Was the battered wife's name Alexa or Ok, Google in all these supposed instances? Even if they could call 911, they wouldn't trigger without their key words.

sethnintendo said:

I was just wondering what people thought about these devices.  Are you concerned with privacy?  Do you not care about being listened to 24/7?  There have been some interesting situations that have come up already with these devices.  Such as this one incident (which I believe it has occurred multiple times already) in which a couple is having an arguement that is escalating to the point of abuse or possible murder where the guy or woman shouts out what are you going to call the cops or something like that.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/police-amazon-echo-device-called-911-during-attack/2202749/

So yea maybe in those cases the person does need someone listening to them 24/7.  I don't really see a need or care for such a product.  I would use it as much as a tablet (which is 0%).  Some features might be neat to play music through bluetooth but I have plenty of other "dumb" devices that can manage these tasks. 

So let me know your opinion on such devices being used within your home.

I personally don't understand all the fear that people have over privacy in the modern era. Yes, they could access your infromation 24/7 - thing is, the people that can do that have no interest in doing so. The worst that usually happens is some algorithms sorting through your data to give you personnalized advertisment - but who the fuck cares that a computer looked through your data? Actually, I really wouldn't even care if other people looked through my data, if it's some random office worker who knows me as nothing else than potential customer no.9887868.

I guess some regulation regarding secure encryption and safe, anonymous data transaction could be good. But the collection itself, I'm really just fine with.

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

Yeeeeeah I don't think I'll buy-in to a system like that. The progression of tech to that level of integration into every day life is kindaeventually inevitable, but I like my privacy =p unless there are -serious- productivity and value gains to be made from it, it's just not worth the trade off imo. It's not even close to that break-even mark yet, for me.