By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Can Xbox do better under Amazon?

I don't know if Amazon is the right investor for the brand. But as far as I can see, the problem with the XBox at the moment is, that Microsoft don't want to invest much into studios and risky games. The 1. party lineup has gone very small, and that is a huge disadvantage. They may make a small benefit with the Xbox division, but they are loosing market share. 

So if they sell the Xbox division, it's not the point to whom. Amazon, Apple, Google, SEGA (lol), whoever gets in charge, needs to invest, take risks and challange Sony and Nintendo. This may not be the safe way. But it's the only way to get back to top position. 

Around the Network

Honestly it is a great online brand that's only had a handful of stable titles spanning three generations. No honest dedication to creativity and brand growth for games. All they care about is the OS and windows. I would feel much safer knowing Xbox was in the hands of a brand who gives a damn about developing games. Honestly, Microsoft should sell the Xbox to Apple. They took halo from them so it would be interesting to see what gaming would look like from apples perspective. If not them then Samsung.

Why does the X1X needs a launch title? Its just a more powerful X1, its not an X2. Its already got a good line up that will benefit the X.
I daubt MS will sell Xbox since Xbox is also used to help sell Windows. Its one major edge MS has over Apple.

So...Xbox is the new Nintendo confirmed?
Doomed since 2014

Agreed. The current MS leadership don't do the Xbox brand justice. Their mentality has changed dramatically since they first entered the industry. The 1st party is on life support, it can't keep up with PS4/Switch in its strongest markets, it barely has any recognition outside the US/UK.

MS sees games differently now, fewer risks (new IPs) but bigger hits (Halo/Fohza/Gears), they need to milk it over a longer period (GAAS model, Overwatch/Destiny&co success).

Unfortunately MS will not sell the brand, they're intention is to turn Xbox into a Windows enertainment platform meant for the living room. They dont see themselves as part of the game industry anymore, they just want you to buy entertainment content on their own platform.

Around the Network

Still waiting for Spencer to be Xbox's messiah like he was supposed to be when he became head.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

JRPGfan said:
fielding88 said:
If they could move every Xbox owner over to a Windows 10 PC environment playing Xbox games exclusively through the Windows Store, I'm sure they'd be all over that. In a scenario like that, I don't think Amazon could do better.

Thats the "get out of the console bussiness" strategie (while still being a software developer, selling halo/gears/forza for pc users).

The problem is theres a giant called "steam" standing in the way, and a team of smaller guys like "GoG" there already.

They need to work harder on keeping people on xbox consoles instead, right?

Oh, absolutely. But with Satya Nadella at the top of Microsoft, I don't think that's what he has in mind for it. I think Ballmer had a very different concept of Microsoft hardware of all kinds and Nadella was never really in favour of that. But now he has an uphill climb to make the Windows Store relevant for gaming, which looks incredibly impossible, and I doubt Amazon could do no better than piss in the wind if given the chance. 

Personally, having jumped into the Xbox ecosystem only this gen, I'm really impressed with what the hardware offers in terms of a multimedia box under my TV. But it's superfluous for gaming.

Microsoft has to make it a necessity to buy that box, but they constantly piss away some really great hardware concepts, release them half-baked, and expect third parties to take all the risks (I'm an irritated Windows Mobile user who's seen some horrible shit over the years).

That would kill all interest for me. Amazon is a company driven by extortion and exploiting unfair competition against smaller retailers. They're a terrible company and their own products are nothing to write home about, save for their television devision where they can just pull in outside talent because of their cash flow.

If Amazon bought Xbox, it could do a lot better. IF, they spent as much on exclusive creative content as Sony and Nintendo. They would need to understand to spend big on studios and IP. If they're willing to spend the cash, here's how I suggest they spend it:

-Rebuild Rare, try to get old talent back
-Do something differently with Gears and Halo. Make a Halo RPG and a Gears spinoff that's not cover shooter (horror?).
-Keep Fohza and Fohza Horizon
-Minecraft 2 in the long term (5 years)

Acquisitions to strengthen 1st party:
-Buy IO Interactive (new IP, something else entirely, maybe Hitman in the future)
-Buy Remedy (TPS studio like Naughty Dog)
-Buy Obsidian (RPG studio, make the Halo RPG)
-Set up Japanese studio or buy Platinum

Amazon has online stores in the biggest European countries= bigger exposure, more relevant to local people, like benefiting from Prime with subscriptions etc.

Azzanation said:
Why does the X1X needs a launch title? Its just a more powerful X1, its not an X2. Its already got a good line up that will benefit the X.

Yeah, it was the same with the PS4 Pro... what was its big exclusive launch title in Q4 2016?

These consoles are just options to the standard models, mainly targeted to people with 4K-TVs (or a PSVR headset).