By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch sales in Japan compared to other consoles

Miyamotoo said:

Wii U had plenty of big problems not just with big games that come late, I dont think we can compare Wii U and Switch. In Japan people are looking at Switch mostly like handheld, and games like Pokemon, Animal Crossing and MH are huge system sellers.

Yeah, I know :P I'm not one of the Switch doubters haha. 

Around the Network
Louie said:
Miyamotoo said:

Switch is selling like crazy and Nintendo cant keep up with demand, and Switch yet to receive in future years huge system sellers like Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Monster Hunter (not port of old one). Just look how many Pokemon games 3DS recived..

Yes, but Nintendo could still deliver the wrong software like they did with the Wii U. Don't get me wrong, I'm very optimistic. I think the Switch has the potential to sell more than 100 million units worldwide and definitely 20+ million in Japan. But the Wii started off great, too and then Nintendo decided to focus on games that weren't mass market friendly. Nintendo has this bad habit of pushing stuff people don't want once they are successful, like 3D Mario over 2D Mario, despite the former selling less. Or abandoning Wii Sports despite the game being huge. Or not putting effort into Wii U versions of games that sold well on the Wii. I just hope they learned from their mistakes this time. If they did, the Switch is going to clear those 100 million units worldwide and even has a chance to match the sales of the original DS.

Switch is not a fad-driven system as the Wii was. It doesn't need the market Wii Sports appealled to and that market is gone anyway. 

Case in point: the system is selling great even with 1,2 Switch (a game obviously aimed at that same demographic) not selling all that great despite have little/no competetion for a good window of time. Just Dance is also performing poorly on the system.

Wii was driven by fads like Wii Sports and Wii Fit and when people got tired of those the concept collapsed and left nothing for the Wii U to work with.

Switch is driven much moreso by standard gamers, the appeal lying in allowing people to play high end/console type games anywhere they go. 

Switch will get all the Nintendo IP, there's no "mystery" here about that either, we already know more or less what the library will eventually look like aside from any new IP they want to introduce. It will have all the Nintendo IP staples. 

DonFerrari said:
It's basically a handheld and you are comparing it to PSP which isn't a Nintendo HH and 3DS that is basically the worst selling HH. I'm sure I saw someone in a thread saying that it is bellow mediocre to sell better than your worst selling device even in Japan.

3DS is not a bad seller in Japan, people need to understand that. 

It's outsold every Sony system in Japan ever and every Nintendo home console in Japan. It's the third best selling system there, if Switch sells on par with the 3DS in Japan, that's a huge success for Nintendo. 

3DS' sales in North America and Europe are where there's something left to be desired, clearly in those markets the impact of smartphones hurt Nintendo a lot. 

Stefan.De.Machtige said:
StarDoor said:

Actually, at the end of 52 weeks it's possible that the Switch will be ahead of the Wii. And if we're talking lifetime, it's guaranteed that the Switch will pass the Wii, since the Wii only sold 12.77 million in Japan.

The NS wil win in Japan over Wii due to it's hybird nature, but the other regions of which mainly Europe could be lagging in sales. I'm not sure if even selling 20-30 million LTD in Japan could offset those lackluster sales. I hope it does, but we'll have to see.

Wii is a low bar. Wii sales in Japan for Switch would be a huge dissapointment. PSP even outsold the Wii in Japan. Wii crashed and burned in Japan a lot sooner than it did in the West. 

Japan is a 2nd tier market now. It's crazy how things have changed in the past 20 years 

Around the Network
Rem87919394 said:

Japan is a 2nd tier market now. It's crazy how things have changed in the past 20 years 

What makes it 2nd tier? It's still the second-largest video game market, behind the US. Is the US the only 1st tier market?

StarDoor said:
Rem87919394 said:

What makes it 2nd tier? It's still the second-largest video game market, behind the US. Is the US the only 1st tier market?

Europe is a bigger market. You can't be serious.

Rem87919394 said:
StarDoor said:

Okay, sure, if you combine 40+ different countries, you get a "market" that's larger than Japan.

Rem87919394 said:
StarDoor said:

Europe is continent, and we talk about sales of Nintendo hardware, actually there is not big difference in sales between Japan and Europe despite fact that Japan is one country and Europe hole continent.

Rem87919394 said:
StarDoor said:

Europe isn't a country... I hope you're an american. otherwise *bell ring* shame

3DS FC# 4553-9947-9017 NNID: Bajablo

Torn-City - MMO text based RPG, join me! :)