By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch sales in Japan compared to other consoles

I never said Europe was a country. I said it was a bigger market. Hence why just about all publications including this site counts europe's numbers as whole. Just facts

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
Rem87919394 said:

Europe is a bigger market. You can't be serious.

Europe is continent, and we talk about sales of Nintendo hardware, actually there is not big difference in sales between Japan and Europe despite fact that Japan is one country and Europe hole continent.

I find it interesting that you have two different "regions" like that for sales, which have vastly different scales of population and economy, but they're fairly comparable for this one market xD 

Europe population ~730m
Japan population ~120m with one of the fastest declining populations in the world

Of course more hardware and software sells in Europe.

But none of that really matters. The real reason I tend to disregard Japanese sales numbers isn't because more or less consoles sell there, but because of console type cultural differences. Despite loving Japan and much of its culture, the fact is Japan focuses much more heavily on mobile/handheld gaming and I don't like it at all anymore.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

dharh said:

Europe population ~730m
Japan population ~120m with one of the fastest declining populations in the world

But none of that really matters. The real reason I tend to disregard Japanese sales numbers isn't because more or less consoles sell there, but because of console type cultural differences. Despite loving Japan and much of its culture, the fact is Japan focuses much more heavily on mobile/handheld gaming and I don't like it at all anymore.

Very true, mobile gaming is huge there compared to NA and Europe. All one has to do is look at sales figures

Rem87919394 said:
I never said Europe was a country. I said it was a bigger market. Hence why just about all publications including this site counts europe's numbers as whole. Just facts

It's good that you're talking about just facts, because then you'll also have to agree that Japan is only a Tier 2 market for Sony, and even worse for Microsoft. Nintendo being #1 in that market, and at the amount they sell there, certainly tells us this. That's just facts.

Around the Network
dharh said:

Europe population ~730m

What if this trend eventually spread to the rest of the world ? Will you also disregards thoses markets sales ?

It's $300.00... and because of that, should only be compared to home consoles imo.

NintendoPie said:
Rem87919394 said:

It's good that you're talking about just facts, because then you'll also have to agree that Japan is only a Tier 2 market for Sony, and even worse for Microsoft. Nintendo being #1 in that market, and at the amount they sell there, certainly tells us this. That's just facts.

Yup and facts say consumers in Japan don't buy as much as they do in NA and Europe. Hence why it's a 2nd tier market. Numbers don't lie. Check the charts

Rem87919394 said:

Yup and facts say consumers in Japan don't buy as much as they do in NA and Europe. Hence why it's a 2nd tier market. Numbers don't lie. Check the charts

Only confirming my statement, thank you.

NintendoPie said:
Rem87919394 said:

Only confirming my statement, thank you.

Thanks for confirming mine 😀