By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Dragon Quest XI sales stronger on PS4, on track to meet lower end of sales target

Ka-pi96 said:
KBG29 said:
Great news for Sony and the PlayStation Store. I don't think we are to far away from digital taking the lions share of sales on home consoles. Better value, more accessible, more devices, all in all digital is an incredible value compaired to physical.

It will be very interesting to see how things play out once this is released in the West. I imagine the PS4 will have a much bigger lead in other regions.

Better value? £60 for a digital game, or £40 for a physical game (which can be sold to recoup much of that cost too). And you think that`s better value?

It depends on the situation and region, but in more cases than not digital is a steal compaired to physical. 

In some situations 1 copy of a digital title will give you access to a game on multiple devices, as opposed to buying multiple copies.

With online games, you get two games for the price of one. My Pro in the main room is my primary unit, so anyone can use it to play online, I can then use either my office or bedroom units and play with them using a single copy. That is a huge value for families.

In the US most games go on sale on PSN extreamly quick. I have picked up many games at half price within a month of release. At this point if I don't have to have a game day one, I just wait a few weeks and grab it on sale.

Then you have PS Now and Xbox Game Pass, you can get hundereds of titles a month for $10 - $20.

There are many ways that digital is cheaper and have greater value. At this point the only reason I see to buy physical where I live is if you are a games collector. Even if you have slow internet there are better value services if you are looking for short term commitment with games than buying and reselling.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
KBG29 said:
Great news for Sony and the PlayStation Store. I don't think we are to far away from digital taking the lions share of sales on home consoles. Better value, more accessible, more devices, all in all digital is an incredible value compaired to physical.

It will be very interesting to see how things play out once this is released in the West. I imagine the PS4 will have a much bigger lead in other regions.

Better value? £60 for a digital game, or £40 for a physical game (which can be sold to recoup much of that cost too). And you think that`s better value?

its usually the same price. and with digital, you can share with friends

Alkibiádēs said:
Turkish said:

Like I said, the PS4 version is sold for ~9K yen, 3k more expensive than the 3DS version. So even if it didn't outsell it in unit sales, it brought in much more money.

But that isn't what the report is actually talking about. Suppose they had 1M in mind for PS4, and 2M for 3DS. The way it turned out, sales were indeed stronger on PS4. The target goals for the PS4 version were lower, the PS4 met and exceeded those even if it didn't outsell 3DS in unit sales. Meanwhile 3DS underperformed.

It also costed much more to develop. 

It's the same team, making the same salary. The programmers who made the 3DS versions didn't sudden make less than the PS4 people (that's assuming that the team was even split that way between PS4/3DS). Without knowing how the work was split up and how Square accounts for cost in a development situation like this, there's no way to definitely know how much either cost.

PS4 games will cost more than a 3DS game because the larger team needed in order to make a big game. But DQXI isn't a normal 3DS game, it had a giant team and giant budget too. If Final Fantasy IX can cost $40m to develop on the PS1, there's no reason why a 3DS game can't be just as big budgetwise. While it's a safe assumption to think the PS4 version cost more to develop, there's no evidence to suggest that there's a large difference. Especially so when the CEO of the company is praising that specific version.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
Alkibiádēs said:

It also costed much more to develop. 

It's the same team, making the same salary. The programmers who made the 3DS versions didn't sudden make less than the PS4 people (that's assuming that the team was even split that way between PS4/3DS). Without knowing how the work was split up and how Square accounts for cost in a development situation like this, there's no way to definitely know how much either cost.

PS4 games will cost more than a 3DS game because the larger team needed in order to make a big game. But DQXI isn't a normal 3DS game, it had a giant team and giant budget too. If Final Fantasy IX can cost $40m to develop on the PS1, there's no reason why a 3DS game can't be just as big budgetwise. While it's a safe assumption to think the PS4 version cost more to develop, there's no evidence to suggest that there's a large difference. Especially so when the CEO of the company is praising that specific version.

Dude, are you serious right now? You really think the 3DS version cost as much as the PS4 version to make? It doesn't even look good for a 3DS game (only the retro mode looks good). 

Ever Oasis looks much better graphically and that was made by a small Japanese third party developer. 

And why on earth are you comparing budgets from PS1 days with budgets of today? Developing games for old hardware like the 3DS is a much easier process than it was 17 years ago when that technology was still cutting edge. Development tools and programs change over time as well you know. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Alkibiádēs said:
outlawauron said:

Dude, are you serious right now? You really think the 3DS version cost as much as the PS4 version to make? It doesn't even look good for a 3DS game (only the retro mode looks good). 

Ever Oasis looks much better graphically and that was made by a small Japanese third party developer. 

And why on earth are you comparing budgets from PS1 days with budgets of today? Developing games for old hardware like the 3DS is a much easier process than it was 17 years ago when that technology was still cutting edge. Development tools and programs change over time as well you know. 

No. Did you read my post? I said there's no reason to think that there's a large difference in cost between the two versions of the game, because so much of the work is shared (writing, music, design, art, etc are both completely shared costs).

How good something looks really doesn't have a direct coorelation to cost of development. It's the size of the team that leads to high costs. And of course development tools and things progress, but this is still a 3DS game that had 100+ people working on it for over 3 years. It's budget would still be in tens of millions without question. A game doesn't become cheaper due to a platform. It's due to cost of supporting the team making the game.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
Alkibiádēs said:

No. Did you read my post? I said there's no reason to think that there's a large difference in cost between the two versions of the game, because so much of the work is shared (writing, music, design, art, etc are both completely shared costs).

How good something looks really doesn't have a direct coorelation to cost of development. It's the size of the team that leads to high costs. And of course development tools and things progress, but this is still a 3DS game that had 100+ people working on it for over 3 years. It's budget would still be in tens of millions without question. A game doesn't become cheaper due to a platform. It's due to cost of supporting the team making the game.

And you apparently know how long they worked on the 3DS game and with how many people?

The games are nothing alike besides a shared story. I seriously doubt 100 developers were working on the 3DS game for 3 years. The 3DS game probably started development later because the director of the game said the 3DS version was an after-thought and it was originally going to be a PS4 exclusive. 

As for the music, it sounds horrible on both the PS4 and 3DS. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

NoCtiS_NoX said:
Cloudman said:
Perhaps the Switch version will help push more sales for the game. A version you can play anywhere may be appealing for Japanese consumers.

You can do it already on the 3DS.

Well, a portable console version.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread