By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - 7th - 13th Aug 2017

Kerotan said:
Jranation said:

Going to double what the Wii U, PS4 and PSVita did in its first 52 weeks! 

That's good and all but it's a pity it can't succeed the sales of the consoles it's actually succeeding. It will struggle to surpass just the 3DS and that's only 1 of the consoles.  

As I said sales are healthy but this puts it into perspective. 

You really need to stop with this whole wiiu+3ds thing. Its wrong on so many levels. And switch doesnt need to even sell as much as 3ds for the "perspective"

Around the Network
Alkibiádēs said:
Kerotan said:

That's good and all but it's a pity it can't succeed the sales of the consoles it's actually succeeding. It will struggle to surpass just the 3DS and that's only 1 of the consoles.  

You do realize that Wii U had a relatively strong start in Japan, but started faltering soon after? As time goes on the gap will become bigger and bigger. 

3DS sold over 20 million units in Japan alone. Wii U sold just over 3 milllion. In other words: irrelevant numbers. 

And Switch is still supply constrained and won't need a huge early price cut like the 3DS did.

That definitely puts things into perspective, doesn't it?

You're trying to make it sound like 3DS+Wii U will be around 23m. In fact combined they are already over 26.5m and will sell at least 28m+ in the end.  Let's see if switch can beat that.  

As I said Switch only needs to sell 20m+ to be successful in Japan (hell I'd even argue 15m+) but let's keep things in perspective when talking about how successful it is. 

Anybody who thought switch won't be supet successful in japan and quickly outselling the ps4 needs to do more research what japan likes and what the switch is.

Nobody with a right mind believes ps4 can win,and it doesn't need to in japan. it already won  ww years ago.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

Kerotan said:
Miyamotoo said:

This puts some things in perspective.

Yeah despite being a succesor to the 3DS and Wii U sales aligned the Switch is just keeping up with the 3DS. Sales are excellent but this puts them into perspective. 

Yes it puts them in perspective, especially with fact that Switch is still heavily supply constrained and demand is still much bigger than offer, and that we still don't know for what exactly heights Switch is capable.

http://nintendoeverything.com/japanese-news-reporter-visits-48-stores-to-try-and-find-a-switch-walks-away-unsuccessful/

Kerotan said:
FloatingWaffles said:

What an attempt to spin this, lol. 

Switch sale are fantastic, especially considering that it is still heavily supply constrained and that Nintendo is basically selling everything they can produce. 

But here for you to try to downplay it is "but it's gonna replace both consoles so these sales aren't actually that good!1!". 

There are people comparing Switch to consoles they shouldn't.  The only thing Switch should be compared to is 3DS + Wii U.  I've always maintained that. Comparing a hybrid to just a handheld or just a home console is infact moving the posts. 

Despite fact that Switch is hybrid, its still one console that actually has price point of home console, so no Switch doesn't need to be compared to 3DS + Wii U, or does need to have same sales like 3DS + Wii U.

Alkibiádēs said:
Kerotan said:

You do realize that Wii U had a relatively strong start in Japan, but started faltering soon after? As time goes on the gap will become bigger and bigger. 

3DS sold over 20 million units in Japan alone. Wii U sold just over 3 milllion. In other words: irrelevant numbers. 

And Switch is still supply constrained and won't need a huge early price cut like the 3DS did.

That definitely puts things into perspective, doesn't it?

FloatingWaffles said:
Kerotan said:

Switch sale are fantastic, especially considering that it is still heavily supply constrained and that Nintendo is basically selling everything they can produce at the moment. 

But because you had to desperately look for a reason to make them seem not as good (in your eyes at least) you went with "but it's gonna replace both consoles so these sales aren't actually that good!1!". 

Agree with both posts above.

Kerotan said:
FloatingWaffles said:

Switch sale are fantastic, especially considering that it is still heavily supply constrained and that Nintendo is basically selling everything they can produce. 

But here for you to try to downplay it is "but it's gonna replace both consoles so these sales aren't actually that good!1!". 

There are people comparing Switch to consoles they shouldn't.  The only thing Switch should be compared to is 3DS + Wii U.  I've always maintained that. Comparing a hybrid to just a handheld or just a home console is infact moving the posts. 

That logic makes no sense. If you're gonna go with that then that means something like the PS4 can only be compared to PS3 sales. And going by that logic back as well during the last generation the PS3 and PSP were both out, each selling (or shipped) 80 million, for a combined total of over 160 million. So the PS4 current 60 million must be a huge failure in your eyes then going by that. Because even though the PS4 wasn't originally made to replace their handhelds, it certainly has at this point considering how they stopped supporting the Vita properly years ago, so one could say that the PS4 became the main thing instead of a seperate handeld + console just like you're saying with the Switch. 

Do you think that the Switch should cost more than $600 then to make up the combined costs of how much a 3DS + Wii U would be? No, because it's $300, the price of a home console. 

Around the Network

Man good thing Level 5 hasn't completely run Yokai Watch into the ground yet if that's all Snack World is good for.

Miyamotoo said:
Kerotan said:

Despite fact that Switch is hybrid, its still one console that actually has price point of home console, so no Switch doesn't need to be compared to 3DS + Wii U, or does need to have same sales like 3DS + Wii U.

Totally disagree with you there.  I think the Switch does indeed need to be compared to 3DS + Wii U.

Now, with that being said, I also think that Switch has a high chance of surpassing those sales. At least worldwide.  But it might bee too soon to tell.

Splatoon going for that sweet 1 month 1 Mil if we take digital copies into account !

chakkra said:
Miyamotoo said:

Totally disagree with you there.  I think the Switch does indeed need to be compared to 3DS + Wii U.

Now, with that being said, I also think that Switch has a high chance of surpassing those sales. At least worldwide.  But it might bee too soon to tell.

No it dont need, Switch can be success and earn more money to Nintendo even if sell less than 3DS and Wii U combined, not to mention that both Wii U and 3DS sold at start with loss and fact than 3DS needed to have huge price cut only 6 months after launch, while Switch is selling from start with profit and actualy Nintendo cant keep up with demand with curent price point, and games are also selling great (just look at Zelda BotW, MK8D, Splatoon 2 and ARMS).

I also think that Switch can sell more than Wii U and 3DS combined, but I dont think thats relly important in order to call Switch a success.

FloatingWaffles said:
Kerotan said:

That logic makes no sense. If you're gonna go with that then that means something like the PS4 can only be compared to PS3 sales. And going by that logic back as well during the last generation the PS3 and PSP were both out, each selling (or shipped) 80 million, for a combined total of over 160 million. So the PS4 current 60 million must be a huge failure in your eyes then going by that. Because even though the PS4 wasn't originally made to replace their handhelds, it certainly has at this point considering how they stopped supporting the Vita properly years ago, so one could say that the PS4 became the main thing instead of a seperate handeld + console just like you're saying with the Switch. 

Do you think that the Switch should cost more than $600 then to make up the combined costs of how much a 3DS + Wii U would be? No, because it's $300, the price of a home console. 

I understand your point but I disagree.  If ps4 was a hybrid then yes we could say it needs to sell ps3 + psp numbers.  But it's a traditional home console so that would be ridiculous.  

If ps5 has a hybrid sku then we would be saying it needs to sell ps4 + vita numbers.