By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Lawsuit filed against Nintendo over Switch’s detachable controllers

fatslob-:O said:
Dravenet7 said:

This is cute. I like it. It makes drilling the facts in easier for me. This is what Azuren said:

"And if Gamevice doesn't want to settle, doesn't want royalties, and wants to specifically stop the sale of the Switch as it exists right now, that's what will happen in the affected territories should Gamevice win.Now, unless you can respond with something that addresses that outside of "but it doesn't usually do that" despite Gamevice already expressing interest in doing just that, just stop. I'm not interested in getting caught in a repeating discussion."

Most of these 5 posts were responses to what Azuren's post in which the scenario of having to the Switch sales shut down by gameVice were essentially given the response of, essentially, "but it doesn't usually do that". In other words saying royalties were the only option. The reason your response is cute is because you literally trim out the bulk of what you said in which, is about royalties, damages, yada yada yada. The fact that in those posts I quoted, its MOST of what you said, and you clipped out a small piece of sentence for each in order to frame it as you only sprinkled royalties and the like in is sad. Sad and irrelavent. Your redudancy is in line with you ignoring the scenario Azuren was talking about. The only time you remotely address it is in #4.

The first bit isn't true as gamevice wants to settle regardless ... (Why else would they file a civil lawsuit ?) 

@Bold How nice of you to pull a strawman ... (And BTW response #3 wasn't intended for Azuren so that was just a reach on your part.)

Just because I recycle some of what I've said before doesn't mean that I can't raise a new point ... (Are you gonna forbid me for repeating some of the things I say now ? LOL)

I never said or insinuated you couldn't regurgitate your point. Sometimes you remphasize what your state point. I merely stated that him essentially requesting you either bring up new points or end this convo was not an aggressive post, but one of fatigue. I then proceeded to point out you made the same point 5 times in this thread. Yes, you sprinkled new things in your posts, something I at least brought up with #4. That doesn't change the fact that you made the same point 5 times.

And I'm fully aware not #3 wasn't directed towards him. I state in the beginning of the paragraph (the same one which you bolded a line and accused me of strawman), that MOST were directed towards him. So its clear that you favor selective reading.

Speaking of strawman, I was originally going to ignore your follow-up responses because I soundly made my point, but now you're accusing me of strawman, which I take very seriously. I'm curious how you think what you bolded is a strawman because it makes no sense to claim so.

Around the Network
Suky said:
twintail said:

im pretty confident the lawsuit is because of this:

https://gamevice.com/collections/mobile-console-gaming/products/iphone-street-fighter-bundled-edition

Oh,if this is the case, Nintendo is screwed.

you are aware that patents in general need to specify SOME THINGS right? for example, a detachable controller attachment for a PHONE is quite different than a proprietary attachment to your own unique game device

Nintendo would have to literally be using like the identical method of attachment, and an extremely similar controller for that to be the case. The picture you posted is not a wireless controller that can be used seperate from the phone and, again, to begin with it's an attachment to help transform a phone into a better gaming device.

Nintendo's controllers are unique designed controllers SPECIFICALLY only for their own device and that involve a million unique features (wireless features, different game modes, advanced rumble, etc.)

Nintendo would be 'screwed' if they had come out with a controller attachment sold for use with their mobile games that attached to phones. But that's not the case at all.

There is no patent in existence that is going to completely cover something as loose as "a detachable controller". You are aware that controllers that connect to and can be removed from bases are nothing original or new right? they've existed for a long time in different formats 

Dravenet7 said:

I never said or insinuated you couldn't regurgitate your point. Sometimes you remphasize what your state point. I merely stated that him essentially requesting you either bring up new points or end this convo was not an aggressive post, but one of fatigue. I then proceeded to point out you made the same point 5 times in this thread. Yes, you sprinkled new things in your posts, something I at least brought up with #4. That doesn't change the fact that you made the same point 5 times.

And I'm fully aware not #3 wasn't directed towards him. I state in the beginning of the paragraph (the same one which you bolded a line and accused me of strawman), that MOST were directed towards him. So its clear that you favor selective reading.

Speaking of strawman, I was originally going to ignore your follow-up responses because I soundly made my point, but now you're accusing me of strawman, which I take very seriously. I'm curious how you think what you bolded is a strawman because it makes no sense to claim so.

It most certainly makes sense to claim otherwise ... 

You said, "In other words saying royalties were the only option." but I call bullsh#t on that since since responses #2 & #4 contradict this as I clearly specificed another option ... 

You can play the denial game all you want but see if I'll care after your next response ...  

Oh and I didn't even intend to make the same point 5 times, it's just that this happened ... 

I only used the idea of royalties of making my real points which were #1 (Nintendo REALLY aren't going out of business looking at their cash resserves with respect of paying royalties), #4 (Not sure how you saw this as a repeat since it obviously states Nintendo can't sell the Switch as it is in america without paying royalties) and #5 (Patents are assigned by nation, oh and look I've raised different subjects like how corporations can't seize sold products or how the court system works.) but all of that fell blind ...  

Dravenet7 said:

It most certainly makes sense to claim otherwise ... 

You said, "In other words saying royalties were the only option." but I call bullsh#t on that since since responses #2 & #4 contradict this as I clearly specificed another option ... 

You can play the denial game all you want but see if I'll care after your next response ...  

Oh and I didn't even intend to make the same point 5 times, it's just that this happened ... 

I only used the idea of royalties of making my real points which were #1 (Nintendo REALLY aren't going out of business looking at their cash resserves with respect of paying royalties), #4 (Not sure how you saw this as a repeat since it obviously states Nintendo can't sell the Switch as it is in america without paying royalties) and #5 (Patents are assigned by nation, oh and look I've raised different subjects like how corporations can't seize sold products or how the court system works.) but all of that fell blind ...  

The non crossed out point is the only thing I care about. Like I said in previous post I didn't care about you're other responses because I used evidence of you literally saying what you said to respond to it. But like I said, earlier you read selectively, so you wasted your time attempting to convice me with whatever you wrote. If it correlates to me strawmanning I missed it because you went on a tangent I, now continously, decimated and I frankly couldn't care less about your defense.

In regards to the actual strawman claim, again your selective reading shows up again. For it to be a strawman, I would have to say something completely away from what you said, and make a false equivlancy in order to misrepresent your point. There is no false equivlancy. I did not claim that you said royalties were the only option. If I did, I never would have, twice, made a point about #4.  If you look at the previous sentence (I know its hard for you but try), you can see that was my interpretation of what Azuren said. Now it could be wrong in part, but essentially he was tired of the repetitive nature of what you were saying. Which you were being. 

I leave with the idea of looking into the dictionary before you use words you clearly don't know the meaning of.

Dravenet7 said:

The non crossed out point is the only thing I care about. Like I said in previous post I didn't care about you're other responses because I used evidence of you literally saying what you said to respond to it. But like I said, earlier you read selectively, so you wasted your time attempting to convice me with whatever you wrote. If it correlates to me strawmanning I missed it because you went on a tangent I, now continously, decimated and I frankly couldn't care less about your defense.

In regards to the actual strawman claim, again your selective reading shows up again. For it to be a strawman, I would have to say something completely away from what you said, and make a false equivlancy in order to misrepresent your point. There is no false equivlancy. I did not claim that you said royalties were the only option. If I did, I never would have, twice, made a point about #4.  If you look at the previous sentence (I know its hard for you but try), you can see that was my interpretation of what Azuren said. Now it could be wrong in part, but essentially he was tired of the repetitive nature of what you were saying. Which you were being. 

I leave with the idea of looking into the dictionary before you use words you clearly don't know the meaning of.

Yeap, definitely not going to try since you're in denial ...  

Keep feigning that ignorance ... 

You only wish I made false equivalency just so you could save your own hide since I called out on your crap ... 

Around the Network
Dravenet7 said:

Yeap, definitely not going to try since you're in denial ...  

Keep feigning that ignorance ... 

You only wish I made false equivalency just so you could save your own hide since I called out on your crap ... 

Too hard for you to go back and read the previous sentence, eh? For me to be in denial post less than half of what I said in 5 posts and claim that was my only point. Oh wait...

You can claim I'm feigning ignorance or prove it by quoting the full paragraph to prove that it wasn't an interpretation, but you won't because you can't.

And there is no false equivilancy != I claim you made a false equivilancy. How the hell did you get this? Actually nevermind. If anyone follows this string of posts, its made quite clear that I proved my points and backed them up, and you made allegations you can't prove a single one.

Enjoy mulling that over.

Dravenet7 said:

Too hard for you to go back and read the previous sentence, eh? For me to be in denial post less than half of what I said in 5 posts and claim that was my only point. Oh wait...

You can claim I'm feigning ignorance or prove it by quoting the full paragraph to prove that it wasn't an interpretation, but you won't because you can't.

And there is no false equivilancy != I claim you made a false equivilancy. How the hell did you get this? Actually nevermind. If anyone follows this string of posts, its made quite clear that I proved my points and backed them up, and you made allegations you can't prove a single one.

Enjoy mulling that over.

I don't care about your interpretation of what Azuren said, it's the claims that you raised up ... 

And you're the one who made the false equivalencies by trying to reinterpret my arguments only to be shit up with your naive simplification ... 

It's hilarious how you jump to claim conclusion, that's the behaviour you see from an internet strongman ... 

Good day to you on fabricating my arugments then denying a statement that you made ... 

Dravenet7 said:

Enjoy mulling that over.

I don't care about your interpretation of what Azuren said, it's the claims that you raised up ... 

And you're the one who made the false equivalencies by trying to reinterpret my arguments only to be shit up with your naive simplification ... 

It's hilarious how you jump to claim conclusion, that's the behaviour you see from an internet strongman ... 

Good day to you on fabricating my arugments then denying a statement that you made ... 

This is your 3rd post stating I am in denial. The second time (the first time is the one where I crossed it off and ignored it because I only cared about the strawman accusation, only reading it now) I responded to that with something along the lines of you can't prove it.

I'll make this very easy for you: Instead of simply claiming that I am in denial, why don't you quote the paragraph I said this, in its entirely, and prove it from there? When I made a claim, I actually did that to back it up, and everyone who looks at these posts can see this for themselves. So if you can simply do that, I'll gladly accept I was in denial and continue with this waste of time. Otherwise I'll continue to see your responses as immature and you should keep silent.

well at least this just confirm that switch is not revolutionary in terms innovation, Even 3 month before the Switch shows on the Youtube some company already marketed an prototype of gaming tablet that function like switch

SpokenTruth said:

Good luck GameVice.

Credit goes to Rösti for compiling.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1325344

*Architecture=System floor plan (limited)

On June 10, 2016, Nintendo Co., Ltd. filed in the US via the United States Patent and Trademark Office several patent applications related to Nintendo Switch. They were published today December 15, 2016. The applications are:

Appl. No. 15/178972, GAME CONTROLLER
Appl. No. 15/178991, GAME CONTROLLER
Appl. No. 15/179011, GAME CONTROLLER
Appl. No. 15/178984, SUPPORTING DEVICE, CHARGING DEVICE AND CONTROLLER SYSTEM
Appl. No. 15/179022, INFORMATION PROCESSING SYSTEM, INFORMATION PROCESSING DEVICE, CONTROLLER DEVICE AND ACCESSORY

Inventors: IWAO; Toshiaki; (Kyoto, JP) ; TAKEI; Masaya; (Kyoto, JP) ; FUJITA; Kumpei; (Kyoto, JP) ; IKUTA; Hiroki; (Kyoto, JP) ; HIROSE; Shinji; (Kyoto, JP) ; AKAMA; Tetsuya; (Kyoto, JP) ; TSUCHIYA; Hitoshi; (Kyoto, JP)
Applicant: NINTENDO CO., LTD.
Kyoto
JP
Family ID: 1000002022311
Appl. No.: 15/178984
Filed: June 10, 2016
Abstract

/snip
Claims

1. A game controller supporting device for supporting a first game controller and a second game controller, wherein: the first game controller includes a first rail member configured for allowing the first game controller to be attached to the supporting device; the second game controller includes a second rail member configured for allowing the second game controller to be attached to the supporting device; the supporting device includes: a support section; and a main section connected to the support section; the support section includes: a first slide member in an area of the support section toward a first side in a predetermined direction, the first slide member being configured to slidably engage with the first rail member of the first game controller in a first slide direction; and a second slide member in an area of the support section toward a second side in the predetermined direction, the second slide member being configured to slidably engage with the second rail member of the second game controller in a second slide direction; the first slide member includes: a first groove having a bottom surface formed along the first slide direction; a first facing surface, wherein the first slide member has a first side and a second side in the first slide direction, and the first facing surface is in an end portion on the first side of the first slide member so as to face a portion of the bottom surface of the first groove; and a first terminal on the first facing surface, which first terminal is configured to be electrically connected to the first game controller; the second slide member includes: a second groove having a bottom surface formed along the second slide direction; a second facing surface, wherein the second slide member has a first side and a second side in the second slide direction, and the second facing surface is in an end portion on the first side of the second slide member so as to face a portion of the bottom surface of the second groove; and a second terminal on the second facing surface, which second terminal is configured to be electrically connected to the second game controller; the main section includes: a first grip portion on a first side of the main section in the predetermined direction configured for being gripped by a user; and a second grip portion on a second side of the main section in the predetermined direction configured for being gripped by the user; the support section includes: a connector; a power supply configured to supply power, via the connector, to the first game controller via the first terminal, and to the second game controller via the second terminal; and a light-emitter configured for emitting light indicating that the power supply is supplying power to at least one of the first game controller and the second game controller; the first game controller includes a first stop member, wherein the first stop member is configured so that when the first rail member has been inserted up to a predetermined first position into the first slide member, the first stop member resists a slide movement, in an opposite direction, of the first rail member against the first slide member, the opposite direction being a direction opposite to a direction in which the first slide member is insertable into the first rail member; the first slide member includes a first stop-receiving portion, wherein the first stop member is further configured so that when the first rail member of the first game controller has been inserted up to the first position into the first slide member, the first stop member engages with the first stop-receiving portion; the second game controller includes a second stop member, wherein the second stop member is configured so that when the second rail member has been inserted up to a predetermined second position into the second slide member, the second stop member resists a slide movement, in an opposite direction, of the second rail member against the second slide member, the opposite direction being a direction opposite to a direction in which the second slide member is insertable into the first rail member; and the second slide member includes a second stop-receiving portion, wherein the second stop member is further configured so that when the second rail member of the second game controller has been inserted up to the second position into the second slide member, the second stop member engages with the second stop-receiving portion.
BACKGROUND AND SUMMARY

/snip

/snip

DETAILED DESCRIPTION OF NON-LIMITING EXAMPLE EMBODIMENTS
/snip

Source: Search "15/178984" at http://appft.uspto.gov/netahtml/PTO/search-bool.html

Well, this actually could be excellent news for Gamevice: if Nintendo filed in the middle of 2016, it means that there is an extremely high probability of prior art that was in its latency period. If Nintendo had been issued a patent with granted claims by the USPTO, that would be a very different story.

Two important considerations here are 1) a "filed" patent is not an "issued" patent and can't be used to assert anything in court and 2) the USPTO is notorious for having issues with prior art searches, so many issued patents are later invalidated.