By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Lawsuit filed against Nintendo over Switch’s detachable controllers

While i hate this kind of cynical lawsuit, if that wikipad product is indeed out in the market then i think they are right and Nintendo will have to pay damages. The switch controller looks just like it.

Around the Network

I didn't realize so many lawyers posted on VGChartz.

Will be interesting to see where this goes.

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

CaptainExplosion said:
Aeolus451 said:
They might have a case. They've been making detachable gaming controllers for tablets and smartphones for awhile.

https://gamevice.com/

Not the same application as the Switch Joy Cons.

The lawsuit is over detachable controllers designed for gaming that connects to a tablet like device. It's still the same concept and they look the same. The button layout is similar which makes it look like the same design in general. That's enough right there for infringement. 

Gamevice's controllers connect to a variety of devices for gaming while Nintendo's controller section connects to it's version of a tablet for gaming. They don't need to match eachother 100% in everything. 

If gamevice has a design patent then it has a good case against nintendo on this mainly because it's over a detachable controller that's used in a similar fashion to game with. 

Nem said:

While i hate this kind of cynical lawsuit, if that wikipad product is indeed out in the market then i think they are right and Nintendo will have to pay damages. The switch controller looks just like it.

It's worse than just a wikipad. 

https://gamevice.com/

Take a look at their products and their games.

Nem said:

Please tell me how they're anything alike?

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Around the Network

Haters always gotta try and bring down the successful

CaptainExplosion said:

Well Nintendo shouldn't have to. Gamevice is just trying to take a slice of someone else's pie because their pie is just a tart.

Just like how Nintendo is trying benefit off of other people's invention ? Let Nintendo defend themselves in court and we'll see whether the judges determine Nintendo will or will not have to pay for damages and royalties ... 

Azuren said:

And if the company says "I don't want your royalties", then poof-

No more Switch.

No more Switch in america ... (doesn't mean Nintendo can't sell Switch's in other territories providing they didn't infringe patents in those territories either) 

Besides paying royalties is a relatively small price for Nintendo's size and they could design the Switch without detachable joy-cons to get around the patent issue ...

It's always interesting to see a company go from praising the Switch and claim its helping their own brand to go and say its somehow damaging them only a couple of months later.

http://www.pocketgamer.biz/news/65862/gamevice-raises-12-5-million/

Aeolus451 said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Not the same application as the Switch Joy Cons.

The lawsuit is over detachable controllers designed for gaming that connects to a tablet like device. It's still the same concept and they look the same. The button layout is similar which makes it look like the same design in general. That's enough right there for infringement. 

Gamevice's controllers connect to a variety of devices for gaming while Nintendo's controller section connects to it's version of a tablet for gaming. They don't need to match eachother 100% in everything. 

If gamevice has a design patent then it has a good case against nintendo on this mainly because it's over a detachable controller that's used in a similar fashion to game with. 

Read the actual case they're not suing because it's a controller that detaches they're suing over the mechanism that detaches in other words how it clips together, you can't patent an entire concept as patents require how the concept is being executed.

JOKA_ said:
I didn't realize so many lawyers posted on VGChartz.

Will be interesting to see where this goes.

Clearly, Fanboyism 101 was added to law school curriculum without my knowledge.